Ramsey to visit Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KurtTheJetsFan, Mar 8, 2006.

1. edal

edal New Member

Just what would the Jets intentions be for him. We will have Pennington and I dont know yet if were going with QB at #4. Is he going to be primarily for a backup or to take over as starter for our rebuilding process! Id rather just start with somebody from the draft, hopefully Leinart. I'm tired of being a mediocre franchise. I want a stud QB. The 1st. since Namath.

#101 edal, Mar 8, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2006
  2. NY2MD_FS

NY2MD_FS Member

i still say dont trade for ramsey, I've seen him play (unfortunately) and he is damaged goods. He stays in the pocket waaaaaaay to long and makes stupid decisions when he's rushed, and with our line in its current state the 2 won't mix and will lead to more headaches.

No to Ramsey!

ty

3. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

The intention would be to bring in a QB cheaply with lots of upside. A trio of Penny, Ramsey and Bollinger wouldn't be so bad.

If things don't work out with Pennington, we look for our Franchise QB next year.

This isn't a one year fix around these parts, remember?

4. chow184

chow184 New Member

anyone know how the Jets liked Ramsey?

5. AlToon

AlToon Member

Washington has been shopping Ramsey for weeks, and rumors of the Jets' interest have persisted since the end of last season. The Redskins have been seeking a second-round draft pick for Ramsey, but it is now believed he could be had for a second-day pick

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjets0309,0,4240479.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

6. Nyjets4eva

Nyjets4eva Well-Known Member

Cant believe he siad Maddox hes one of the worst QB's out right now hes old and washed up and never was really a good starter much less a good backup hes third string come on I would take a chance at Ramsey for a fourth Herms fourth round pick that is.

7. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Mel Kiper Jr was on Mike and Mike this morning talking about the Ramsey situation. Now I understand this is just one guy's opinion, but I thought his view was very interesting.

He said when Ramsey was coming out, teams had him rated higher than they actually have Cutler right now. He also said Ramsey never had a real chance to develop in Washington (pretty much what a few of us were saying yesterday).

My point is, taking Cutler (or Young. I doubt we're trading up for Lienert), is just as much of a risk as seeing what Ramsey can do (actually more of a risk IMO). We can trade down, focus on other needs (skill players in the first round, and OL later on), save some cash, and start the season with a young QB that's got NFL experiance.

This isn't a quick fix situation by any means. If it becomes clear that Ramsey can not lead this team for the immediate future (if that's the case, we will no doubt have a very high draft pick in 2007), then we can address the QB situation next season.

8. lightning

lightning Active Member

Once again, it depends on how the teams' scouts feel about each guy

9. chow184

chow184 New Member

Pat Kerwin was on Sirius Radio, saying Gibbs shouldn't trade Ramsey for anything less than a first day pick.

I agree

10. lightning

lightning Active Member

well if they take that route, then he'll be cut

11. Baculus

Baculus New Member

This thread is funny. I remember trying to defend Ramsey, on this board, as I kept hearing about Pennington's superior ability and how the Redskins had no one at QB since Ramsey sucked so much. Now, according to some on this board, Ramsey is pretty good!

What's even more amusing is the assertion by some that Gibbs just...well, gosh, just doesn't like Ramsey. What's worse is hearing it from people, as fans of another team, are so far removed from the situation that their theory is that Gibbs didn't play his best quaterback (according to these posters on this board) because he just didn't like the guy.

What a silly theory.

There is a reason why Ramsey wasn't started by Gibbs: Because, as a QB, Ramsey hasn't made enough strides. The exact problems that currently plague Ramsey - holding on to the ball too long, a lack of pocket awareness, staring down WR's, carelessness with the football - are the exact weakness that were attributed to Ramsey as a ROOKIE player. Even after several years of pro-coaching, Ramsey just can't shake these bad habits. Why? I can't say. Maybe he needs further practice or tutoring, or maybe his psyche is so shookup that he needs psychologist.

Or maybe he jus doesn't have what it takes to be a starting pro. I'd hate to think that because I have rooted for Ramsey since he has been here, but the guy has been such a tease - it's terribly frustrating. But, as someone mentioned in this thread, Gibbs knows QBs. The 'Skins even had a QB coaching, who was known for developing decent QBs, and Ramsey still could produce. (BTW, even during the pre-season of this last year, you could see that Brunnell, surprisingly, was the better QB. That was the last thing that any of us 'Skins fans expected.)

Also, to say that Gibbs is a "coach from the past" is silly. He knows football and he got the 'Skins into the playoffs. He's made good player movements and he's brought onboard a good coachng staff. It's lacking football IQ to still keep making the claim that, somehow, a HOF coach in Gibbs does not understand this game.

Pehaps Ramsey will flourish in a new venue - if he does, I wish him the best.

12. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

People change there minds on here so much when a player may become a Jet. Stick around a little bit longer it happens all the time.

13. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

People also post ridiculous nonsensical rubbish (that they never back up with solid facts) which drives a majority of people on this board absolutely nuts. Stick around a little bit longer. It happens all the time.

14. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

Well mort was on dan patrick show today . said he thinks ramsey would end up to the jets. but it wouldnt sway there decision from drafting leinart or cutler if there sitting at 4. Said the jets look at ramsey as backup qb .

15. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

The things I state as fact I back it up, but when I'm speaking my opionion then it just that.

16. #1 Jets Fan

#1 Jets Fan Guest

Looks to me Gibbs isn't the only person that doesn't think Ramsey a starter in this league.

17. McCluneNYJ

McCluneNYJ Active Member

I don't agreee with those who say that Gibbs just didn't like Ramsey, but Ramsey was never given the developmental time we all know young QB's need. He was asked to come in and play as a rookie in a horrible offense. He was asked to do it again his sophomore campaign, and then when Gibbs came in, was essentially sent to the scrap heap. This is not the best way to bring a young QB into the league. I think a change of scenery will suit Ramsey well, wherever that place may be.

18. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

I just wanted to clear something up.

When I say "Gibbs just didn't like Ramsey", I mean he just didn't like him as a QB. Meaning he didn't feel Ramsey was capable of effectively running his system.

JMO, but I think Gibbs was set on going in a different direction QB wise when he first took the job. Which is why he was obsessed with bringing in a veteran who was capable of starting right away (Brunell), and not going with an "unknown" as a backup.

I don't think it's so outlandish to assume such a thing. Some coaches just don't like certain players (regardless of how talented they are) for whatever reasons. Whether it be personal (Parcells/Hugh Douglass, Jerry Glanville/Brett Favre), or professional (IMO Gibbs/Ramsey).

19. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

If we make ANY trades that will cost us draft picks, then we really aren't better with this "new" FO than before with badwit. If we do this then we will never ever see a SB period because of stupid people in charge still.

20. JETFIGHTERS

JETFIGHTERS Active Member

Ramsey suxs and anyone trading away draft picks instead of drafting good picks is stupid too! Build from the draft!