WRs are indirectly involved in pass protection

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 3, 2020.

1. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

That was my first thought when i saw it but he didn't mention near enough other players or say "ala"

K'OB and FJF like this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well, even if you remove all IOL the number only drops from 7 OL to 6 OT, so I understand the thought but I don’t think it pans out.

Likewise, there are 2 edge positions, and following the same exercise we end up with 10 edge players.

2019 Chiefs

2018 Patriots

2017 Eagles

2016 Patriots

2015 Broncos

2014 Patriots

2013 Seahawks

2012 Ravens

2011 Giants

2010 Packers

In fact let’s look at all positions.

2019 Chiefs
    -1 QB
    -1 CB

2018 Patriots
    -2 DT
    -1 OL
    -1 RB

2017 Eagles
    -2 Edge
    -1 QB
    -1 OL
    -1 WR

2016 Patriots
    -2 DT
    -1 Edge
    -1 LB

2015 Broncos
    -2 Edge
    -1 CB
    -1 DT

2014 Patriots
    -1 DT
    -1 Edge
    -1 LB
    -1 OT
    -1 CB

2013 Seahawks
    -2 Edge
    -2 OL
    -1 S

2012 Ravens
    -1 QB
    -1 OL
    -1 CB

2011 Giants
    -1 Edge
    -1 WR
    -2 CB
    -1 S

2010 Packers
    -1 Edge
    -1 LB
    -1 OL
    -2 DT

QB (3)
    OL (7)
    WR (2)
    RB (1)
    TE (0)

DT (8)
    Edge (10)
    LB (2)
    CB (6)
    S (2)

That being said, if the Jets aim is a SB in 2021, they have selected a S, QB, DT, OL, and blank leading up to the run. 3 of those match up with the top 5 most selected positions (QB, DT, OL) based on this simple analysis, the Jets should be searching for an Edge player in the first round of the 2021 draft.

Brook!, J-Raw24 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

QBs dont need great WRs to be a great QB. Another dumbass topic.

If I were a mod, I would throw out a warning.

K'OB likes this.
  4. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Apparently, Jets don’t like to draft top RBs and WRs because they are too small

But God forbid there is a DL (any DL) or an enormous OL sitting there in Round 1 and you just know the Jets can’t resist

Who needs to score points in today’s NFL?

5. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

So how many SBs did Andre Johnson win so far? Or Calvin Johnson for that matter?

6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets didn't draft a DL in RD1 this year *shrugs*

Jets haven't drafted an offensive lineman in RD1 since Brick / Mangold, not really saying much, but nice try.

7. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

How many Super Bowls has Jerry Rice won?

Michael Irvin?

Wes Welker?

Julian Edelman?

8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Welker was undrafted and won none. Edelman was taken in round 7 and has won three.

101GangGreen101 and Jerryjeudy like this.
  9. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I know, I was just having some fun

But seriously, when your WR corps and OL is as crappy as ours, I’d prefer to take the sure thing

In this particular draft, Jeudy was the sure thing

I hope Becton becomes the best LT in the league, but he’s simply not the slam dunk Pro Bowler that Jeudy is

10. Yep.More WR hate from Jet fans.. we clearly havent wathed the same god damn team over te last 20 yrs. OR we just dont care about scoring points? Ever.

im just about done.I dont relate to this fan base anymore.its exhausting to even try.

NYJetsO12 and Jerryjeudy like this.
  11. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

It must be exhausting to be you

I got your back, homey

12. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

The only way to settle this argument is time

We can compare the careers of Jeudy/Ruggs/Lamb to Becton

Odds are that at least 1 out of these 3 WRs isn’t going to live up to his draft selection and will be considered a bust

Becton’s size gives him a high ceiling and a low floor at the same time, due to injury and weight risk

Why take a gamble when you could have taken the top WR on the board who also scores highest in IPP and therefore would have collectively improved the pass-protection of the entire OL?

13. The thing is i was all for taking Becton and only Becton over the WRs. He was the only OT i saw who was worth the pick.And he was a good pick.

You can build a WR corps outside of round 1 but it requires actual conviction,fortitude & quality evaluation.Jets have failed in evaluating as well as prioritizing the position for more than a decade. At some point you either bite the bullet & take one round 1 to minimize risk or you target specific fits at strategic spots in the draft & take multiple guys. Theyve tried option 2 3x since 2014 (Evans/Saunders/Enunwa;Smith/Peake;Stewart/Hanson) the results are worse if you go back further

It just needs to get resolved one way or the other. It may take using a 1st rounder which the org & fans dont want.

so tired of the constant downplay of WR impact for a team that hasnt had a legit vertical passing attack since 2002. Its reached preposterous levels & is insulting to anyone who ever dreams of seeing an exciting dynamic balanced offense

I learned to love this team as a kid w guys like Toon,Walker,Moore hell even Terrance Mathis.Jets always had athletes on the outside for better or worse.Now? The team & much of the fanbase are stuck in the early 70s NFC east.

NYJetsO12, J-Raw24 and Jerryjeudy like this.
  14. CotcheryFan

I agree with most of this, but we had two 1,000 yard receivers in 2015. I'm high on Mims and believe another WR will be taken in the first three rounds of next year's draft. I like Alabama's DeVonta Smith. He has many of Jeudy's traits.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

You are missing the point.

WRs don't need to be taken in Rd 1. You quoted yourself with that. John Taylor was a 3rd round talent. Andre Reed did not win any SB but he was a sure-fire #1 WR by his own right. Cris Carter was an undrafted WR - and was a stud on the sideline. Or more recent example of Marques Colston (a SB winner by the way) coming out of 7th round should ring a bell for you.

K'OB likes this.
  16. i almost incl 2015 & to be fair portions of 2010 but neither was a multi yr thing & both were a result of Trades/FA rather than drafting w the exception of cotchery & if you wanna include Chansi stuckey for helping land Edwards.

you know me man..im usually jumping into the next class at whatever the biggest position of need is day 1 post draft. Have heard how good this next WR class is but i cant even get excited bc i dont trust them to select one early & bc I dread having to hear Jet fans come up w every excuse not to take one early next offseasin

#76 KurtTheJetsFan, May 4, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2020
  17. This can be said about every position.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  18. CotcheryFan

I'll lose hope in Douglas if he doesn't take a WR next year. To me, it appears his plan was to fortify the OL as much as possible this offseason. It's not like he ignored the skill positions as he took a WR and RB. Don't get me wrong, I wanted two WR's from this draft, but I can understand it if a WR is taken in the early rounds next year.

19. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

You think the Jets are going to find a great receiver in the later rounds of the draft when they can’t even find one in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Jeudy was their shot to stop screwing up the drafting of WRs and they blew it

I’m not pissed because I think Jeudy is gonna be great, I’m pissed because I think he’s gonna be a HOF

20. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

There is more than one way to skin a cat obviously. That Jets didn't draft WR in 1st round this year this doesn't mean they won't in the future. (Think Keyshawn Johnson) Moreover, equating past failure with the future draft is more than simiply ludicrous. Last, but not the least: Jeudy will be a good WR. That I can agree with. Was he THE savior of WR picks for the Jets draft woes? I don't know about that.