Ashtyn Davis vs Marcus Maye

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Footballgod214, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Maye to me is that jack of all trades, he’s not excellent in one thing but he can do it all. He can play in the box, he’s one of the sure tacklers on the team, he plays the deep CF well and is a solid CF.

I do feel Davis can be a bit more dynamic and a better ball hawk but you’d be losing that ability to be as sure of a tackler as Maye is. We will see...I’d actually like to see some more 3 safety looks this year.

boozer32 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Er, if you're talking about Adams, he didn't play for Clemson. He played for LSU. If you're talking about Maye, he didn't play for Clemson, either. He played for the Univ. of Florida.

Brook!, ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

LSU same thing. All of those SEC schools are in swampland where the primordial slime produces NFL all pro's. The Meadowlands produces mosquitos.

4. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

If Davis is like the honey badger and can rotate between safety and nickle I think they may keep all 3 at least till Davis rookie contract is up ...if he's strictly a safety that means Maye is gone eventually ...I don't really see how he affects Adams.

#24 MJK, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Biggs and stinkyB like this.
  5. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Clemson isn't in the SEC, though...

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Listen guys, I am more of the opinion that NC and Contrails have got it right..really try to keep all 3

Initially, I absolutely hated that Mac/Toilet Bowles embarrassed the Franchise by drafting 2 Safeties Adams/Maye back to back??!! Ask yourself, is this something JD our present GM sitting at Draft day would remotely contemplate? ROFL

As it turned out Adams is our All Pro and Maye has really stepped up ..to $10 million per year?..dunno maybe

That said I have read a number of takes that with 3 safeties Williams is going to have a fiesta of back end defense and mixing up overages confusing the opposition

It just depends how the $ is allocated or worse comes to worst which player we let go ...and who do you trust doing that?? ;)

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

No, it's not the same thing. Clemson doesn't play in the SEC. They play in the ACC.

Brook! and Biggs like this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Good point. The only college football I actually watch besides the final 4 is the Lions at Baker field.

How the hell did they win 5 national championships since 2015? DWC had me convinced every team in the final 4 were either in the SEC or from Florida. Every time I see them they're either playing Alabama or LSU for the Championship. I just assumed Clemson was in Florida and part of the SEC. Never mind.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

You are right comparing the Pac 10 to the superior schools in the ACC and SEc with those 2 being much tougher than Cal

Of course, good players come from everywhere including A Rogers from Cal and R Sherman from Stanford

If Davis was the highest rated FS in this draft that means he beat out all the players from the FBS FCS and Division 3..sounds good to me

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

IMO, This is how good teams with longevity are build. Always backfill the pipeline with talent.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Clemson has been good to great in football for most of the last 30 years. It's just that they now have a GREAT HC who is also a great recruiter.

12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You’re a Columbia man? Now shit’s beginning to make sense.

Those Barnard art chicks could lay a beating on you.

Brook! and Biggs like this.
  13. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

All depends on what Joe D decides to do with that punk, Jamal Adams.
    Maye is a good dude, but his injury history is a concern.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think it's safe to say the plan is to replace Maye with Ashtyn Davis if all goes according to plan. I don't put the idea of moving Adams, keeping Maye and moving Davis to strong safety out of the realm of possibility either. I think Davis could handle it - he's a good tackler.

He could end up being like Rontez Miles and then we really can't move on from either Maye and Adams at that point anyway. So it all depends on development. I expect to see a lot of three safety looks though. And I do expect we could see Williamson get cut (even though I'd rather not) because the 4-2-5 will be closer to our base package than a 4-3. Even if one of the five us Brian Poole and not Davis.

Dierking and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

This is sooner than I thought when I created this thread, but here it is....

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/ny-20200504-la45eyhzpbac5osqruticcektm-story.html

Jets have had Marcus Maye trade discussions: sources
    NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
    MAY 04, 2020 | 7:00 AM

There was a time not so long ago when it appeared that Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye would rule the Jets secondary forever.

Times have certainly changed.

The Daily News has learned that the Jets have had trade discussions involving Maye, prompting questions about how Gang Green will proceed on the back end given Adams’ tenuous contract situation and the team’s recent third-round investment in safety Ashtyn Davis.

Adam Gase wanted to trade Maye upon getting hired last year before level-headed voices convinced him that it would be a mistake (because he’s a very good player), team sources said.

General manager Joe Douglas has fielded trade inquiries and engaged in discussions about Maye in the past year, but chose to keep the free safety (because he’s a very good player).

Davis’ arrival might change the dynamic for the Jets, who didn’t draft the Cal safety with the No. 68 pick to be just be a long-term rotational piece.

However, Maye is a valuable proven commodity that played a critical centerfield role in his first year in Gregg Williams’ defense.

Adams has dominated the spotlight since the duo was drafted with Gang Green’s first two picks in 2017, but talent evaluators across the league are fully aware of Maye’s impact too. Truth be told, Maye, who was the No. 39 overall pick by the previous Jets regime, would be a first-rounder in a re-do of the 2017 draft.

Maye played 95 and 99 percent of the defensive snaps in his first and third seasons. He bounced back from an injury-marred 2018 campaign with a career-high seven pass deflections last year, including a game-winner in the endzone in the waning moments of a win against the Steelers in Week 16.

Adams and Maye could/should have been the one of the top safety tandems for a decade, but Douglas finds himself in a quagmire given the current state of affairs.

[​IMG]
    FOXBORO, MA - DECEMBER 31: Brandin Cooks #14 of the New England Patriots is unable to make a reception as he is defended by Marcus Maye #26 of the New York Jets during the first half at Gillette Stadium on December 31, 2017 in Foxboro, Massachusetts. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)(Jim Rogash/Getty Images)
    The G.M. chose not to trade Maye in the run-up to the draft after engaging in talks. Then, he took Davis on the second day of the draft.

Now, Douglas is in a precarious position: Should he keep, extend or trade Maye?

Adams is looking for a monster payday, but a canyon currently separates the two sides’ valuation of the All-Pro. Meanwhile, Maye would be foolish to take 50 cents on the dollar in an extension right now.

Should Douglas hold on to Maye for now and move him at the trade deadline for 2021 draft compensation?

Or would it be smarter to let Maye, who’s scheduled to make just $1.4 million in the final year of his rookie contract, walk in free agency before likely picking up a 2022 compensatory pick? How about if Douglas can swing a sensible trade now?

Davis’ presence changed the dynamic given that he could ultimately take over Maye’s centerfield role. But what if negotiations with Adams turn ugly? Could the Jets risk losing Adams and Maye?

Although there’s no denying Adams’ game-changing prowess, Maye is hardly an afterthought to talent evaluators across the league. They know how impactful he can be.

But can the Jets afford to keep both of them? Does it even make sense now that Davis is in the fold?

“He brings a lot to the table… with all the positions that he plays,” Gase said of Davis. “His ability on special teams. You’re looking at a guy that can do a lot of things for us.”

Williams could flash his creativity with three-safety looks, make no mistake about it: Davis wasn’t brought in to be a long-term backup.

There’s no debating that Adams, Maye and Davis would cover a lot of ground and make things challenging for opponents this season, but the Jets didn’t draft Davis to be a third wheel for the next four years.

“Marcus and Jamal are so versatile with all the things that they can do,” Gase said. “Now, all of a sudden you got three guys that can do the same thing, where they’re all moving all over the place. It makes it difficult for an offense to kind of know what’s going on. For us to have the ability to be able to do that… How much we do it, time will tell.”

The picture in the Jets secondary is going to change sooner or later.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  16. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s the water, we get mosquitos and great pizza they get football players.

17. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

I went to London last year(end of July) and they had a heatwave, I want to say close to 100*?

K'OB likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think that's the plan.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

From the "rooting for the laundry" perspective Marcus Maye is a good player who is replaceable as long as the Jets get a competent FS to replace him, which Ashtyn Davis may represent.

Once you stop thinking of players from the football card perspective it becomes a lot easier to let them go when they become expensive to keep. I'm more than willing for the Jets to let go of Adams instead of Maye if they get a good trade offer. Adams is great and Maye is good but neither of them are more key to winning than a functional offense that is making strides towards being a good one.

In a couple of years if Sam Darnold is still a great prospect but not yet a great QB I will be more than willing to see the Jets turn over the QB position as well instead of locking up a huge cap number for a football card.

Brook! likes this.
  20. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well you timed that right but it is hotter down London than up north were I live, markedly so considering the size of our country lol

Savatage likes this.