Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

2. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Waived and cut are the same thing ? I forgot to even count the Redskins but are you going to call out them for not developing talent,did you see the rookie last year - anyway

Perriman is on his 5th team since being in the league in 2015 - he is the NYJ WR1 currently

making them have the worst depth chart at all skill positions across 32 NFL teams.

how can you argue Anderson vs Perriman.
    The production side by side speaks for it self.

3. its amazing how many times we’ve had to rationalize the Jets letting weapons go & being replaced by second rate wishful thinking.Perriman is the this era’s Matthew Hatchette, Curtis Conway & Justin Mccareins rolled into one.

When he catches 35 balls this yr no one should be surprised.Unacceptable that this is Sam’s primary target.

But thats ok..the OL got fixed. Im bitter & im furious.Not just w the team for being this dumb but w fellow Jet fans that simply refuse to open their eyes about how ridiculous this WR situation has become;W no end in sight.

nevbeats319 likes this.
  4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Hopefully got fixed, we don't know that for sure yet ;)

As for the rest, don't forget to post about something else once in a while, it would be a shame for a good poster to become fixated on this one point in every single post they post. :)

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know I said this to you in a pre-draft thread but good God, if you even hinted that the Jets should take a receiver over a lineman at 11 your Twitter notifications would get blown up. It’s an old mindset that has been hammered in to our heads for so long that people are having a hard time getting past it.

RECEIVER BAD
    TACKLE GOOD
    RECEIVER CANT GET BALL WITH NO TACKLE

Remember when running backs should never be drafted in the first round? Ask the Cowboys if that’s still sound advice in 2020.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think we've seen what Herndon can do when fully healthy. Darnold loves the TEs and I wouldn't be surprised to see us run 2 or 3 TE sets more often. Hope for a clean bill of health. Darnold has the trait to make those around him better, he doesn't need all pro receivers like Mayfield in OBJ. You saw what Griffin was doing, is he a great player? No, but Darnold made him look a lot better on that field.

Bell isn't washed up, he had a poor year because he was hit before the offensive line could open up any holes. Gase will be adding some more versatility to the run game with the addition of Becton and Fant. I think the Jets are OK for now at receiver, but there will be new additions coming, maybe we can get JuJu next off-season to really make this receiving core above average. You have to start somewhere in terms of building this offense, I am glad they grabbed those lineman and made the effort to fix this offensive line.

K'OB likes this.
  7. 101GangGreen101

Not really, I think Jets Twitter was emored with Lamb throughout the process, the fanbase was split on the decision. A lesson could be learned, if you watched how the Browns played last year with 2 good receivers and no offensive line. So why go the same route as them?

The "WR First" team seems to forget the fact that most receivers drafted in the first round don't win SBs, and that you can always find WR prospects outside of RD1. But its not as easy with offensive tackles. Also, why are we saying Perriman is the Jets first option on offense? Crowder will clearly lead the team in catches this year with maybe Herndon as well.

8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Yep. Waved and cut are the same thing. So he was cut by 2 teams.

#248 J-Raw24, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  9. BroadwayAaron

as a guy who towards the end purposefully commented on every beat writers mock draft with “draft Lamb no matter what“ I can assure you that a ton of people thought I was suggesting murdering a puppy.

10. J-Raw24

Oh I agree with you I would have been happy with Lamb or a trade back and getting Jefferson. But I liked Becton as well. Mims may develop into a good receiver. I also wish we would have double dipped at the position. Not sure we needed another safety. That could have been a receiver. And the second corner from Indy seemed pointless and could have been an offensive playmaker. Offense should have been the focus of the draft. 1 cb and 1 edge was fine but we lacked wr and ol badly. We passed on several good one. But Perriman may end up better than Anderson, we won't know until it happens.

nevbeats319 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. BroadwayAaron

and just to answer the actual content of your post, the “WR first“ team wasn’t saying take a receiver over any and all other players. My point at least, the entire time, was you get much more value at 11 by taking the first receiver on the board over the fourth left tackle on the board. He ended up being the third left tackle but the point remains, and not to mention Becton is the furthest thing from a sure thing. We needed each position equally as bad and both help the quarterback tremendously. I will go to my grave saying we should have drafted Lamb over Becton especially seeing how the draft played out.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

We don't know how JD ranks those players, so its not based off our ranking system. And clearly, there was an issue with Josh Jones that we didn't know about. I am glad we have Becton and Mims because they add needed physicality to the offensive side of the ball, this line and these receivers got outmanned last year. Becton also has the highest ceiling out of any of the OTs in this draft. Mims has a very high ceiling as well, and I think Mims can come out of the gate and be somewhat of a factor because of his skill-sets. He won't be a 1000 yard receiver, but I can see 600 yards and 5 TDs which is good for a rookie.

I would rather have Becton and Mims, then to overdraft a Josh Jones to go along with Lamb. Darnold needed protection in the pocket, he was getting killed out there last year.

RochesterJet likes this.
  13. J-Raw24

Becton was definitely not the 4th Tackle. Actually most people think he has the highest ceiling of all the tackles. Thomas was more refined but Becton could easily become the best tackle in the draft.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. K'OB

JuJu I would love tbh

15. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Feels like there are a million excuses on why he didn't take another WR but not 1 solid one for why he took a QB at that spot.

nevbeats319 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. K'OB

The solid bit is only a rumour that Bill the cheat could confirm and he would never admit he was taking him with the next pick.

If JD wanted him and selected him in the 4th then that should be reason enough, you can't praise a man for a solid free agency and draft and then start nitpicking what doesn't suit days later, the fact is we have Sam and he is the only one capable of throwing a football until that point, now we have two.

17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

there at least used to be an adage to the effect of you can't make your former starter a backup -- team chemistry etc

It is crazy to think about how many super high pick QBs have fallen or in danger of such: Winston, Mariotta, Trubisky, Wentz (at least with injuries), Mayfield (?)

There's something to be said for a developmental QB. All of the above came into the league with sky high expectations of impacting immediately. Something to be said for riding pine for a bit

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Becton does not have a low floor. That's ridiculous. He is a hard worker, and has already been working hard dropping weight. He said that he wants to play in the low 250s. He has 17% body fat, which is incredible for a man his size. You should do some reading and research before you show your ignorance regarding Becton. Since the college football season ended he has been working hard with a great trainer of OL, Duke Manyweather. He worked out/trained the day before the draft, the day of the draft, and the day following the draft. He isn't coasting and celebrating. He's working, getting ready for the season.

Here's one example of his working hard:

Here's an article talking about his working with Manyweather and shows his workout schedule: https://www.si.com/nfl/jets/news/ny-jets-nfl-draft-mekhi-becton-workouts

Does that really look like a player with a low floor?

I want Sam to have a great WR as well, but the reality is he doesn't have to have one to succeed. He could have 3 very good WRs, a very good TE and a RB who is a capable receiver, and still be a great QB.

19. J-Raw24

I think Becton has a lower floor than Thomas. But I am rooting for him to succeed. He could be great for over a decade for us. But as for the WR thing, Sam absolutely needs good wide receivers. I'm not saying they have to be 1st rounders or top 5 or whatever. But he needs good weapons to succeed Brady had Moss, Gronk, the Murderer, Welker, Edelman and more. In KC there is good wr and te. In Pitt there are good wr and te. To be a contender you need playmakers. There is no way around it. Hopefully Herndon comes back healthy and better, Mims becomes a good option, and Perriman works out here. But we need to add more until he has a good group around him. That cannot be downplayed at all.

I think Becton was the right choice. Same with Mims. But I question the safety pick a lot. I don't mind the backup QB and other tackle. But the edge was a reach when we could of had another receiver. I will wait to see how it pans out but if either of those bust, or if we could keep Maye cheap, and one of those receivers drafted afterward becomes stars, then both those picks were failed picks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Becton and Mims > Lamb and Cleveland (who was the next T taken if we wouldn't have traded our 2 with Sea).

Mims is a day one talent without a doubt. I too would have liked to add another WR in the draft but I like the two undrafted FA's we were able to sign from Georgia and WVU. Both are probably PS players though

WR core currently

X-Mims, Doctson, Cager,
    Z-Perriman, Smith,Campbell
    Y-Crowder, Berrios

I see us dressing 5 and them being
    Mims, Crowder, Perriman, Doctson, and either Smith/Berrios (depending on match-up, both have ST value)