Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Having a better o-line will lift up all the receivers. They'll have more time to get open. It's that simple. Oh, I forgot. The new name for "getting open" is "getting into space" or something like that.

2. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I hate to keep on having the Robby Anderson discussion but I'm very curious...

If we cut Winters and Williamson wouldn't we have just shy of 12 million in cap space freed up?

If that's the case and we could have conceivably offered Robby the same deal (slightly better than) as the Panthers wouldn't that make our team that much better?

Would you trade Winters and Avery Williamson for Robby Anderson right now?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

3. Jaybranch23

Jaybranch23 Active Member

I don’t understand what WR we were going to get (other than RA - who it appears the Jets feel isn’t a top end wideout given their willingness to let him go; let’s no pretend that he was tearing up the league - he disappears a lot for games at a time).

They drafted one of the top LT in the draft and then got a WR who had a 1st round grade. I would have liked to take a flyer on another guy - probably in that third round - but I have to trust the new GM for now.

This roster was a train wreck - you can’t fix everything in one offseason. I’m not even sure the OL has been brought up to average with all the reasources that we’re put into it. This is going to be at least another offseason to bring the Jets to playoff level - unless a bunch of guys just completely surprise to their upside - which happens (we just don’t often see that - haha)

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t cut Williamson just to keep Anderson. He’s a deep threat and we replaced his area of expertise with someone who does it just as well. Williamson and Mosley is a lethal duo if Williamson is healthy and I’m in no rush whatsoever to ditch him.

5. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Counterpoint - we had a pretty decent defense without either of Mosley or Williamson last season.

Our depth at MLB is great even without AW.

Our depth at WR is anemic at this point. Can anyone imagine how destitute it would look if either Crowder or Perriman have to miss time?

Couldn't the resources be better shifted to offense?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right about the cap space if we cut Winters and Williamson.

Sorry, as I know you like him, but my answer as to whether still having Anderson would make the team that much better is "No." It would help because he and Sam have some chemistry. It would hurt because Perriman is a more complete WR, can run more routes, and should get more production than Anderson in our offense, yet the two at least until Perriman does produce considerably more catches, yards and TDs than in the past, are basically the same player. Anderson would just take some throws away from Perriman or another WR.

No, I don't want Anderson back. He's not worth $12 million.

We definitely need another WR this season. That's why I think Douglas screwed the pooch in this draft in terms of the WR position. If he had missed out on Mims, I'd have wanted him fired immediately following the draft.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Counterpoint to your counterpoint: our offense was dreadful with Robby. We are in the exact same position as we were today as we would be if we overpaid Robby instead (which is a mistake by Douglas don’t get me wrong).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm not sure he would happily agree to be a backup QB.

9. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Plenty of WRs on the roster whether they are good or bad. Joe likes the WRs, and may get one more veteran.

10. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

You really get it

That’s why I chose Jerryjeudy as my username and finally signed up after being just a passive reader for 10+ years

When Jeudy was still there at 11 I was pleasantly surprised

In this era of non-physical football and pass interference calls aplenty, Jeudy will be impossible to cover

Any cursory look at passing/receiving stats in this era in comparison to every other era and an elite WR is a screaming buy in the 1st round

Completion %, yards, and TDs are up tremendously for today’s NFL QBs

So are catches and yards for WRs

There is a certain interchangeability at the WR position in the 50th-80th percentile that is just not there with other positions, which is why many think that WRs aren't that big of a deal

And many highly drafted WRs bust because scouts suck at seeing past catches, yards, TDs and 40 times

But truly elite WRs in the 95th percentile and higher are very, very valuable

And since Al Toon, the Jets haven't drafted one

Jeudy is super elite in my book and the Jets really blew it

Becton isn’t a sure thing, he’s not guaranteed to be elite like Jeudy

And to top it all off, Jeudy had the highest IPP rating in the draft, so he would have been of tremendous benefit to protecting Sam

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree. Between 1/3 and 1/2 of the WRs on this roster are not NFL caliber players, much less quality starters. They are WRs in name only. Joe clearly must like the WRs. He'd better be right. IMO to add another veteran, he'd have to trade at least a 3rd round 2021 draft pick (and maybe higher) to get one good enough to help. Take a look at the WR rosters on NFL teams. Most of them only go 2-4 deep, and then there is a lot of dreck. IMO the veterans who get released between now and the end of TC will be released for cap reasons, because they were never very good, or they are older and their skills are all but gone.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  12. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

Perriman is not better then Anderson - Stop. If you weren’t a Jet fan you wouldn’t say that. Dude has been cut by 3 teams already. The Buccaneers have a elite play caller in arians who always gets production out of players and there is a big difference in being the top target on a 32nd ranked offense like the jets and being the 3rd-5th option in that offense.

just stop - by week 2 everyone is going to be complaining how they bad the WRs are and they need to draft one in round 1

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  13. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

First off get your facts straight. He was cut by Ravens because he failed to develop. To me this is the biggest and only huge knock. He couldn't put it all together, but he was also dealing with Flacco who was never great and it was at basically the end of Flacco career when he was even worse. He was Waived then by the horrible regime in Washington that can't develop an offensive weapon to save their franchise. He then signed a prove it deal 8n Cleveland and played well at time but mostly not at all. Cleveland got OBJ and had Landry so didn't need to resign him. He was not cut. Then he signed a prove it in Tampa and was 4th on the depth chart. He played well at the end of the season (maybe better than Robbie for those 5 games) but they have wideout and he was gonna a sign for more than they wanted to pay their 3rd or 4th guy.

14. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Perriman and Anderson are both junk compared to an elite receiver

Jets fans are so starved for an elite WR, including myself, that we greatly overrate very athletic (speedy) receivers like Robby who can halfway decently track a deep ball

Guy caused a ton of interceptions by not ever learning how to come back to the ball when it was underthrown

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Becton has a high ceiling no doubt

But he has a low floor due to his body habitus and propensity for obesity

Did you see the size of his dad?

Reward/Risk ratio at 11 favored taking an elite can’t miss WR

I would have been okay with Jeudy or Ruggs

Jefferson is going to be good, but not worth taking at 11

Mims has potential to be pretty good and he clearly has a knack for jump balls and should be good in the red zone

I just wanted Darnold to have a WR capable of 120 catches and 1500 yards

Jeudy was the guy

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You waited 10 years to join up properly and then do so with a players name that we didn't even draft and continue to bleat and whine about us not signing him. It is going to be a long ride on your one trick pony at this rate.

17. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

O’Brien was an underrated QB

He looked a lot better when Toon, drafted in 1st round #10 overall, joined Walker in the lineup

Who is Darnold going to throw to in 2020?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Robby Anderson found a deal that was likely similar to the Jets offer in a locale he preferred. He wasn't going to play as much for us as he will for the Panthers. Our drafted WR, and we were going to draft a WR high somewhere in the first few rounds, was going to get every chance to play in 2020. Our possession receiver, Jamison Crowder, wasn't going to come off the field to get Anderson more snaps. Our two TE's were both likely to be on the field together fairly regularly.

What we needed was a speed receiver who would play 50-60% of the snaps to stretch the field. Paying Robby Anderson above what he got from the Panthers, which is likely in the same range that we offered, just wasn't in the cards for 2020.

We'll have this same conversation about Breshad Perriman in a year if he doesn't catch 75 balls next year. The economics of the NFL just doesn't afford a lot of wiggle room when you are dealing with marginal talents and Robby Anderson and Breshad Perriman to date are just marginal talents.

ColoradoContrails and Jerryjeudy like this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He did and when our OL worsened how many times was he on his arse?

At the end of the day Jeudy hasn't signed you will have to get over it as you can hardly keep talking about it for the next 10 years ;)

20. azhar80

azhar80 Well-Known Member

Last season the biggest complaint from our team, not including coaching was... Oline.

It was obvious that we did not have the talent at oline to successful. Darnold improvising is a nice way of saying, Jets Oline sucked and Sam D was running for his life. We had so many different starting lineup at Oline because A- We were hurt B- We sucked. I mean we had to convince a retired guy to play Center for his, hello lol...

I agree the WR group was not great, but they were not terrible. Anderson, Enunwa, Crowder, Thomas were not exciting but they were getting open, and even our TE was playing decent also. Then we also had RBs who could catch out the backfield.

So if there was a glaring hole on the Jets it was the Oline, then I'd personally CBs, not WRs. Major issues were Oline, CB, Edge Rusher, and WR. Giving a qb half second more is a difference between a reception and incompletion.