WRs are indirectly involved in pass protection

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jerryjeudy, May 3, 2020.

1. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Offensive lineman are directly responsible for protecting the quarterback — that’s their actual job description on passing plays

It’s very easy to objectively measure sacks and pressures, and thus blame can be easily laid on an OL if the QB is hit, forced to throw earlier than desired or forced to throw an inaccurate pass

However, it’s only a matter of time before a QB feels pressure and is forced to scramble and/or get rid of the ball on passing plays before he is tackled, regardless of the skill of his offensive line

So time is a very, very crucial factor

That’s why competent offensive coordinators design passing plays that are meant to be executed within a certain timeframe

Wide receivers don’t get enough credit for pass protection for a variety of reasons

They typically aren’t blocking the pass rushers like offensive lineman, but more importantly than that is the lack of development of commonly discussed statistics that illustrate the indirect but very important role that WRs play in protecting the QB from pressures, hurried throws and sacks

WRs that excel in “indirect pass protection” tend to possess the following characteristics:

They run precise routes, so they wind up covering ground that the QB visually expects them to cover (expected route accuracy)

They gain separation quickly from their cornerback (time to achieve “open” separation)

They achieve larger amounts of separation (separation distance)

There are other variables, such as the ability to react to coverage in the same way the QB expects — if 1st route is well covered, switch to 2nd route — and there is a variability in this type of decision-making amongst wide receivers — but this stat is less objective than the previous ones listed and there would be more argument to assigning a numerical score to this metric amongst raters

So for now I’d prefer to stick to the first 3 WR pass protection stats, all of which act to provide a reliable target that can get open quickly, minimize the probability of pass pressures and sacks, and maximize the probability of a completed pass

In thinking of the WRs role as a pass protector in this way, one can then more easily visualize the partnership between OL and WRs, both working to protect the QB during passing plays while maximizing the chances of a successful completion

WRs that are skilled in these 3 metrics tend to be able to run many different routes very effectively, allowing an offensive coordinator to design or call for a wide variety of routes to be run for such a receiver, which keeps defenders off-balance, not knowing what to expect, and offenses less predictable and more difficult to contain

Simply looking at targets, catches, drops, yards and TDs is the reason why so many highly drafted WRs bust

Because those statistics are dependent on many factors that lie further downstream than the three I mentioned earlier

Those same three factors that act to maximize indirect pass protection simultaneously work to maximize catches, yards and TDs

So WRs that score highly in these metrics tend to perform the best at the NFL level

Obviously there are other factors that precede the actual completion of the pass — wingspan, hands, and the ability to adjust to the ball while it’s in the air — all are crucial to the act of “the catch”

And once the ball is caught, there are other factors that come into play that go into determining YAC

But the bottom line is that the Jets have suffered from shitty pass protection since Darnold has been under center

And focusing on the OL, and perhaps over-focusing in a relative manner on the OL (free agency + draft), at the expense of signing WRs in free agency (Perriman) and drafting WRs (Mims) who don’t excel in indirect pass protection, is not the optimal way to build an ideal pass protection “unit” in today’s NFL

As this applies to the 2020 Jets draft, Becton clearly has the potential to be a great pass protector and run blocker

Mims has the potential to be a faster and better version of Keyshawn Johnson, but just like Keyshawn, he doesn’t grade well in the 3 key criteria for indirect pass protection (ipp)

Jeudy is at the very top of my list in all 3 of these ipp criteria — expected route accuracy, time to achieve “open” separation and separation distance — which means he is also the very best WR in this year’s draft at indirect pass protection

So as a WR, he clearly ranks at the very top in ipp and it’s not particularly close, so he would have been an incredible draft selection for the Jets, not simply because of the objective and easily measurable stats he is going to put up in the NFL (catches, yards, TDs) but also because of his extremely high but hidden value in pass protection

#1 Jerryjeudy, May 3, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jerry Jeudy homer makes a topic about the Jets passing on Jerry Jeudy. Thanks for the info.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

4. Think its a great OP.But dont expect alot of “hell yeah” or people in agreement.Jet fans dont care about WRs or scoring points.

J-Raw24 and Jerryjeudy like this.
  5. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I wish it was that simple

Douglas gets a lot of praise for focusing on the OL in free agency and in the draft

Which is great, because Darnold needs to be protected at all costs

The 2 big WR “acquisitions” this offseason, Perriman and Mims, are both well below average in terms of protecting Darnold

If Jets fans were looking to protect Darnold, Douglas didn’t select WRs with IPP value in mind

Jeudy has the highest IPP value I have seen in a very long time

It’s something to think about moving forward

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Phillystax = Tampajetfan = DWC = @Jerryjeudy

don’t doubt my math.

8. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

I don’t expect agreement per se

But after watching Chrebet and Keyshawn play together for so long, the contrast in IPP amongst wide receivers is something that I think might click with a number of fans

That’s the biggest reason why an unheralded rookie free agent wound up being a more favored target than the #1 selection in the draft

Chrebet excelled at IPP and Keyshawn sucked at it

9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I don’t mean to be rude, but essentially what this post says is: receivers who run routes very well are good receivers and help their offenses.

I don’t think this is a mystery to anyone.

Dierking, J-Raw24, themorey and 3 others like this.
  10. Jerryjeudy

Jerryjeudy Active Member

Not really but if that’s your interpretation of it, that’s fine

11. It’s saying that it’s a game of balance & WRs who can release/get to spots in a very fast manner indirectly help w pass protection bc they minimize how long a QB is dropping back & quite often spread a defense out which eliminates pass rushers as well as creates running/passing lanes.

Thats why all the talk about OL being the only thing that matters & that WRs are window dressing is so misguided.

J-Raw24, Jerryjeudy and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Jeudy also lined up in the slot about 60% of the time.

I’m curious how this relates to slot guys vs outside WR’s. So someone like Crowder would rate higher with IPP then someone that lined up on the outside.

All Gas No Shake and Jerryjeudy like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

When is this guy going to be Banned for making a long post and being annoying??

[​IMG]

14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree that Mims is well below average. He can definitely improve on his route running, but he's already pretty good. He also gets quick separation from his defender. I also think your list is lacking. Some WRs come back towards their QB when a play breaks down, others do not. Mims is one who comes back to the QB to help him. Mims also is a good blocker and blocks to the whistle, that helps in both passing and running plays.

NYJetsO12 and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Keyshawn sucked period. I couldn't stand him prior to his becoming a Jet, and liked him even less after he became a Jet. I was ecstatic to see him go.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  16. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

It’s detailed and thoughtful but there are a few reasons that to me it’s a bit silly.

1. It puts the cart before the horse.
    -Prioritizing a receiver who excels in IPP is like prioritizing nitrous hooked up to a Honda Element and rolling up to a drag race. IPP is exactly what it’s name implies: Indirect.

2. It draws a conclusion in a vacuum.
    -Jerry Jeudy would have been a fantastic pick by literally any of the 32 teams in the league. He’s a very good player. He went 15th because priorities lay elsewhere for 14 teams, including the Jets.

3. It ignores opportunity cost.
    -Selecting Jerry Jeudy would have cost the Jets the opportunity to select an elite offensive line prospect.

4. There are many ways to skin a cat.
    -Offensive line dominance. Pocket presence and mobility. Jump ball prowess. Rushing Offense. Play action. Arm talent. Offenses around the league create pass protection with a blend of these traits. Yes of course IPP has value but Mekhi Becton should be able to impact significantly more facets of pass protection than Jerry Jeudy, is that even a question?

17. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Well IP's are from different states. Let's see how he posts.

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  18. I respect your opinion..and to be fair i never thought Jeudy was the only WR who could help us.

Where i continue to disagree w you & others is the overvaluing of OL & simultaneously UNDERvaluing WR as it pertains to building the Jets.

OL is more important.Yes.But not drastically so esp in the modern game.You have to be able to win on the boundary.

Forget who got drafted where.3 yrs into Sam we still have limited options in terms of consistent producers & playmakers. Only 1 WR taken since Sam was brought into the fold.1. If this was OL everyone would be ready to tar & feather JD.But WR? Meh maybe next year.Or the yr after that..but no we need a bookend to pair w Becton..and an edge..and another corner.So maybe Never?

Jerryjeudy likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Well, we don't care for people with names of people that don't play for our team lecturing us on how we should have selected that name.

Do you not find that a bit odd Kurt?

Not that I didn't like this post tbh but the first post he made still sticks in the mind, I'm a mardy cunt like that sometimes. :D

20. The optics are what they are:)

J-Raw24 and K'OB like this.