Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

LOL

I have learned, over many years on here, that whatever this board thinks, the outcome is likely the opposite.

themorey and 101GangGreen101 like this.
  2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The point I made was that Jets have taken skill position players in the draft who haven't panned out for one reason or another. The lack of impact players at the skill positions isn't because they haven't tried like Kurt was implying. I agree that previous picks shouldn't affect how I think about a player like Mims. I was sold after watching Brett Kollmann's video on him. He does need to improve his route running to become a complete receiver and I'm sure he knows that too. If the Jets had a competent OL last season, I believe there would've been more than one WR taken.

IIMeanDeanII and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could be right about his blowing smoke up Mim's arse. Hopefully, you are. I just don't like the appearance of what Douglas said. It makes his judgment and decision making with regards to priorities, team building, and helping his young questionable to me.

It's not that I don't like Doctson so much as he has been a huge disappointment in the NFL and many think he has been a bust. Between his last two years of college, he 1,018 and 1,326 receiving yards, 11 and 14 TDs respectively, and averaged 15.7 and 17.0 ypc. He then blew up the scouting Combine. He was the 22nd pick of the 2016 first round. Everyone thought he was going to be a big star. His rookie season he appeared in 2 games and had 66 receiving yards. His second season, he started 14 of 16 games, had 502 receiving yards for a 14.3 ypc average and had 6 TDs. His third season, He started 12 of 16 games, had 532 receiving yards, for 12.1 ypc average and only 2 TDs. After that Washington gave up on him. I disagree that he was OK with Washington. If he had been, they wouldn't have given up on him. Last year with the Vikings, he appeared in 1 game and had zero catches. A better question is why you like him and think we should have confidence that he will produce for us. His production for a highly-ranked WR taken in the 1st round has been pretty awful. His production would have been decent if he was a 3rd or 4th round (or lower) WR, but he wasn't. What makes you think that all of a sudden the light is going to go on, and he's going to give us at least 800 yards and 6+ TDs?

On paper was the best draft that we've had in a long time, but if he had missed out on Mims (which he should have), then the draft wouldn't be nearly as good. In fact, without an excellent WR prospect out of this draft, I would have considered it a failure. IMO there is no excuse for almost missing on Mims, for getting greedy and trading down. Now, if Douglas did have some knowledge that Mims was falling and was going to fall, then trading down was a good move, but we don't have that knowledge. I've heard nothing whatsoever from any source to indicate that Mims was falling in the draft or why he went so much lower than expected. So, at least at this point, it clearly looks like he got greedy, made a stupid decision that nearly cost us, but was lucky and Mims was still there at #59. He's supposed to be better/smarter than that. Maybe you're willing to overlook and excuse that decision I'm not. I made excuses and tried to come up with rational explanations for the moves that Mac did and didn't make, and they all proved to be BS. No more! I had high hopes for and believed in Douglas. I said that I chose to trust him until he proved untrustworthy. Well, to me with his words explaining his actions in the draft, he has now proven untrustworthy to me. Before I will like and trust him again, he has to make a real difference in the playmakers around Sam. I'm hoping that he will. I know that no one is perfect, and for the most part, I do like this draft, but failing to have the proper priorities, and just drafting BPA as Mac did without considering need, is a big no-no for me.

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

It's a biggie and straying into DWC territory but I will try and break it down as best as I can :)

I'll start with Doctson, his numbers are okay, not thrilling for a 1st rounder it has to be said, though at times stats can play either way and they don't always tell the true tale as we know from Robby not reaching the mythical 1000yrd marker, we know why but folk still kicked him in the balls for it long enough, TD count shouldn't go against a WR imo if you aren't the endzone target you aren't it and that is it, the only stat for me is if he has butter hands, I am not saying he is a lock in to turn it around but we know he has talent, which is why I likened him to Perriman, a WR people didn't want here when we had no WR's two seasons back due to the fact he had stone hands, he seems to have gotten over this and turned a corner, Browns saw a little bit but the Buccs got a good showing for their money and hopefully he will continue his upward trend but we could be the team that sees the best out of Doctson, incidentally his rookie season was ended by injury as was his time last season. Currently, he has caught 50% of his targets not brilliant but then who wanted Cousins as a Jet QB anyway :)

Onto the drafting a WR, firstly I think you are wrong, not drafting a WR would not have made the draft a failure, you judge it on who has been picked, if 6 of them become 1st team but no WR is selected how does this signify a failure? but yes I would have been disappointed if we did not get a WR, we did, however, get one and this leads me onto your other point of trading downwards and calling him stupid/dumb and greedy, other people think this was an awesome move and got us an extra player and a decent prospect, we did get Mimm's so everything else you are complaining about is for want of a better word... mad, it is like you are hunting something out to have a good old whinge about, we got a WR and we got a good one as well, also you say "you haven't heard anything whatsoever from any source to indicate Mimm's was going to fall" without being rude and wanting to fall out with you but do you often have a source that tells you of all these foibles of a draft fall?
    I'd love to know why Jones fell to the 3rd round (btw I can't believe he didn't snap him up instead of Davis but after looking at what Davis brings, I will leave those decisions to the man in charge.)

He's supposed to be better and smarter than what? He traded down picked up an extra pick and still got the man he supposedly wanted, how is this not smart and more oddly how is this now making him untrustworthy, he has done Sam a massive favour in this draft and free agency, the fact is Sam might actually be able to get 4 seconds to scan a field for the first time in his Pro career and that is the biggest favour he could have done him not getting him a fancy WR, that is the cherry on top and he got one of those anyway and yet you are still moaning about it how it was achieved, it is like you have had to really have a good think on what to find wrong, you are playing the ifs and but's game backwards as we got him and an extra pick, so you can what if to your heart's content but we got the guy.

I also don't think you got the BPA part right I am sure I read that he said BPA of need on his draft board and even if he didn't say that do you not think that maybe he just doesn't want somebody to know what and how he makes those decisions on draft night, a bit of smoke and mirrors, old JD just likes to pick BPA and they may well leave who he really wants alone in next years draft.

Again the biggest example of not picking BPA was when he didn't select Jones in the third round as by then that was surely the BPA to select or like your little bugbear if he was a BPA selector he wouldn't have traded back and just picked Mimm's with the 48.

You have got to let Mac go, he is gone from our team, you will have to judge JD on what he has done and how these draft picks get on next season and his FA selections as well, getting the way you are, sure seems a big waste of energy to me mate :)

Take it on the chin and look forward to the next 5 years or so :)

#204 K'OB, May 2, 2020
    Last edited: May 3, 2020
    KY Jets Fan and IIMeanDeanII like this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

*sigh*

We'll see. Douglas is still on the honeymoon period where he can seemingly do no wrong, gets his @ss kissed just for not being the 'other guy' (previous GM).

I get it. I've seen it before.

It's about W & Ls. He thought letting one of the most explosive Jets WRs I've seen hit the open market was a good idea, only drafting one WR in possibly the deepest WR draft ever was a good idea he's the GM his call.

The team better win some games serious winning. GMs around here don't seem to last very long we've had GMs around here who made it to the playoffs three times in their first five years still get canned. Mike Tannenbaum's Jets went to the playoffs in 2006, the Jets made it to two straight AFC Championship games in 2009 & 2010 a few years later he was gone.

Hopefully these moves he's making help the team WIN football games, division titles, playoff games, Super Bowl.

KurtTheJetsFan and J-Raw24 like this.
  6. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Oh I totally agree. It looks on paper like he made some good moves. But we will only know when the season happens. My point was he threw a bunch at all our positions of need. Everything won't happen this year. Let's see what stick and let him throw more at it. He inherited garbage outside of a few positions. GMs take time but he already looks better than what we have had. Only time will tell if he is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. WarriorRB28

That's the wrong attitude to have. Time is of the essence.

Blaming the previous GM doesn't work. Losing Robby Anderson that poop stain is on him it's not about whether or not Perrimen is a upgrade (IMO not even close) it's that the Jets didn't have to lose Robby at all. They could've had Robby, Perriman, Mims and another high draft pick WR. They have more than enough cap space to have made that possible.

Instead they lost Robby, they only drafted Mims and now they're banking on a bunch of question marks to step up. They're banking on (no pun intended) the businessman Enunwa staying healthy last we heard he was half@ssing his rehab so who knows how that's going? Mims hitting the ground running as a rookie. Undrafted rookie WRs making a mark Robby did it but that doesn't happen often. That's asking a lot to go right in a critical year for Darnold.

If Adams ends up getting traded away that'll be another poop stain on him.

And let's not pretend that what Buffalo is doing doesn't matter. We see what they're doing with their young QB if they take control of the AFC East now that Brady is gone the last thing I wanna be hearing about is a frickin' rebuild.

This team has to win football games.

JetsNation06 and boozer32 like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The overrating of Robby continues.

apjbfc likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Flacco?

10. boozer32

Losing Anderson got the offseason rebuild off to a bad start in my view. He was homegrown and was ready to take off. He has familiarity with Darnold. Just didn't make any sense letting him walk like that. My only gripe with Douglas.

11. boozer32

How many of those UDFA wide receivers have fallen into the Jets lap the last 20 years? Finding good players have been an issue for the Jets for a long time.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. WarriorRB28

I feel he should've used the franchise tag on Robby just to make sure he'd be back in 2020. I would've if I were in his position.

Sure Robby would've been overpaid and people would question if he's worth the franchise tag but so what? When I see the Giants using the franchise tag on Leonard Williams and Dallas using the exclusive franchise tag on Dak Prescott would using the tag on Robby have been that outlandish?

Value is subjective. I don't care what the Panthers think Robby is worth or what he does there to the Jets he should've been worth it. It's clear to me Douglas didn't value Robby enough.

We'll see how his moves work out the W-L column will tell the tale.

boozer32 likes this.
  13. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I’m honestly glad your not the Gm. Using the tag on Robby lmao are you serious? You can get the same production if not more from one of the other receivers on our roster if not the rookie. Why should you tag one who just got vastly overpaid and overpay even more? I don’t get that at all tbh.

dmw likes this.
  14. Bingo.

I was on the fence about RA but w the deep draft WR class & the seemingly obvious notion that Sam needs help I felt they had a contingency that simply didnt incude Robbie.

Well here we are..the worst WR corps in the league yet again. And im sorry its inexcusable

JetsNation06 likes this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Don't forget about our TEs and running backs. I think a good decent # of targets will go to Herndon and Griffin too. This corps would've looked really nice with Robby

themorey likes this.
  16. I get it.Really i do.

But even those positions are questionable.Bell needs to prove hes not washed up & the depth behind him is suspect, Herndon has never been reliable to stay on the field & Griffin is a decent 2 way in line guy,nothing more.

1 WR drafted since Sam was brought in 3 yrs ago.1. For a unit that has been in the bottom 5 for that whole time frame.In what world is this acceptable?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. K'OB

Well it isn't really is it but making yourself badly about it isn't going to make it any better, maybe you will have to put your trust in JD, he has improved the OL and hopefully, he will go on to next years draft with WR more in mind.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  18. Im definitely prepared to do that KOB.I liked the players the Jets took regardless of the position. From an eval/value perspective they likely get an A.But if im being honest i have to drop a full letter grade for continuing to let this Chronic WR issue fester perhaps at the expense of Sam’s development.

i dont trust this team to finally address WR head on next season bc weve heard that for over a decade. And if JD didnt feel compelled to stop the bleeding THIS offseason who’s to say he wont do the same thing in the next one?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. K'OB

I guess it is a bit of a double edged sword for you, to get what you want you need the WR group this time to be poor, but if they are poor it fucks Sam over again.

I think with Sam having the extra time, he will get plenty of chances to hit a WR/TE or Bell, I do think with the way it has been Crowder will be a busy boy again.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No offense meant, but my response is going to be short. I don't want to belabor this discussion. I meant what I said, and I stand by it. That's what I think and feel at the moment. As always, that is subject to change as circumstances change. As I told II Mean Dean II, there are a number of things I like about the draft. I like how he handled FA, and I will wait and see what happens. I think the team will be better overall, the OL should certainly be better, and hopefully that will help Sam and the offense. If Sam and the offense struggle because Doctson, Perriman, Herndon, Bell, and Enunwa don't produce (for whatever reason), Douglas will get further criticism from me. If he doesn't then seriously address the WR and offensive skill positions in next year's draft, I will be done with him and will want his ass fired, regardless of how the OL is performing and/or the defense. This is an offensive (passing) league, and if the Jets are to have any hopes of winning and being a consistently good team, then the WR and offensive playmaking positions need a major upgrade. No excuses, and I don't give a damn how much he improves the rest of the team. He either surrounds Sam with talent and gives him a real chance to succeed, and the Jets a real professional offense, or he can go scratch.