Welcome to the Jets, James Morgan!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

yeah even in these videos you can tell he’s use to having defenders dumped in his lap. A good offensive line can make any QB play better. Here’s to the additions Joe made making Sam better but making this kid more comfortable to play in the pocket.

ColoradoContrails and Cman68 like this.
  2. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Great pick for you guys. Darnold is going to be a top ten QB but it's nice to have a talent like this on your roster. Remember, you lost a lot of games when you had to play junk like Falk.

Rated higher than Herbert on my board..

#4 James Morgan QB FIU

I’m telling you, go watch him. It’s like seeing Joe Flacco at Delaware. Go watch him. He has plus NFL arm talent. Without a doubt. My goodness can he whip a ball around. The ball comes out of his hand hot and in a very tight spiral. His footwork is crisp. He throws beautifully off his back foot. Shows success in the boot game as well. Every throw has heat and he puts it on his WRs. They can’t catch it but he puts it on them. It’s a spiral and they still can’t catch it. Don’t body catch, it’ll bounce off you. Sometimes a few yards off you. Progressions look sharp as well. He’s processing quickly and there are full field read examples on his tape. Most of the playbook puts him in region or half field reads but he gets his eyes around and will look off the safeties. Finds his outlet well and the ball doesn’t waste any time getting there. He could stun the world and go in the 1st round. I have him in the early 2nd. James Morgan has some talent folks. FIU doesn’t. It’s not all positive though. There are some negatives of note. He’s a quality athlete but he doesn’t feel pressure well and he’s very stationary in the pocket. Doesn’t understand how to slide and buy time. He has some scramble game to him but if he stays alive he’s likely forcing the ball down the field into double or triple coverage. I’m not sure if that’s a vision issue or if everything works deep as the play extends. Either way, he can be very reckless after he breaks contain. He throws line drives, but he has the ability to put loft under a touch throw to the corner. Doesn’t show back shoulder or advanced throws but I’d expect those to come around with the ball skills he shows. This is the sleeper of the QB class and I don’t think he lasts long enough to be considered a sleeper. I’d take him over Haskins without hesitation. I’d have him neck and neck with Lock. I believe he’s going to be a starter in the NFL. A couple throws into his 1st preseason game, his fan base is going to start dreaming. The arm is that good. The ball flies that well.

https://footballunlocked.com/2020/04/20/football-unlocked-nfl-2020-draft-qb-board/

Mogriffjr and Pepsiguy5 like this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He has a strong arm no doubt but he doesn’t have much touch. Reminds me a little bit of my screen name, throws the ball 100 mph even on little dump off passes

but I will say, Morgan appears to be a smarter individual than Nagle was. So maybe he learns to throw with a little more touch when appropriate

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  4. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

Plain and simple, this pick was worth it if it screwed the Cheats. Everything else is gravy.

5. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I for one am hopeful we get a little gravy.

I've watched a fair amount of material on this guy now and I can see a scenario where this turns out to be a really nice pick for the Jets. I hesitate to just blindly anoint him as the next Garapollo but I do think an outcome along those lines is a pretty legit possibility. To be honest I could see Morgan turning out better than Jimmy G if he adapts to the pro game well. The physical gifts seem to really be there and he seems like a very solid kid too.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It took Favre a while to develop touch, and I don't think he was ever great with it. His WRs had a lot of jammed and broken fingers until they got used to him. Morgan isn't Favre, but his lack of touch may not be as bad as we think. Hopefully, he can develop that. He's smart (and probably smarter than Favre), so he should understand that he needs to develop touch.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

My concern with Morgan is that he will be designated as the backup ex posthaste . We saw what happened last season when our backup was green and untested. I get all the potential, but he has not even played an NFL game. Had we had a veteran backup last year, there might have been a playoff appearance. This year, there may be quite a few QB vets looking for jobs such as Flacco, Newton, maybe Brisset and now Dalton. It doesn't look like these guys will be able to land starting jobs anywhere else, so a job as backing up Darnold might be good for them and insurance for the Jets. I think the Jets, would be wise to pursue this course than go with any of the current options on the roster for backup QB.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Yeah, Dalton probably would rather go to NE or another team where he has a chance to compete for the starting job, but may not be given that opportunity. He'd probably want more than the $1 million Jameis Winston received, and deserves more than Winston, but the question would be how much more. If he's willing to sign on as the backup to Sam for somewhere between $1 million and $2.5 million, I think the Jets should do it.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. But BUQB isn't really the kind of pick we normally get excited over, ever. It's the type of pick we tip our hats to the GM and say "Well played", and move on. Kinda like taking the top Punter late in the draft. We save our excitement for great talent/starters who fall to us in rounds 1/2/3. Beyond that, GMs build the rest of the team.

The way I handle it is I pretend for a moment the NFL finally extends the reg. season to 18 games, but as a concession to the players the NFL requires all 32 teams to rest their starters 2 games throughout season, including QB. A kind of 'load balancing' NFL style. With fear of injuries and concussions this could actually happen.

There would be a mad rush on BUQBs b/c having good QB play for those 2+ games becomes paramount and the difference maker between postseason or going home losers. That old adage that teams with 2 QBs have none would be replaced with teams w/o 2 QBs go home in January. We'd all value the BUQB a lot more b/c it's a 'known', vs a 'maybe' if the starting QB gets drilled. But the importance BUQB is exactly the same.

Grab a vet like Andy Dalton or develop your own homegrown. JoeD has gone the grab a true prospect later in the draft and mold him from day 1 the way we want him molded.

10. DefenseWinsChampionships

It was a nightmare watching Maccagnan's backups to Sam last year.

Joe Douglas watched from afar himself. And did not like what he witnessed.

Therefore he hand selected his future backup to Sam Darnold during the draft; and rightfully so.

So hopefully next time Sam Darnold is our regardless if for the season or just a couple of 3-5 games - our offense will at least be fun to watch and not a complete disaster.

Joe Douglas gets an A++ for this draft pick due to the fact that he's playing chess not checkers while thinking two moves ahead before drafting HIS backup QB to Sam.

I loved it.

LAJet likes this.
  11. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

This jumped out at me when I read it. What exactly does that mean? Has the position changed so much at college that the quarterbacks coming out are either pro ready or not worth looking at? I'd really like to hear some analysis of this from someone who knows their college football, because that is not me!

12. NCJetsfan

I just listened to the Douglas on the Boomer and Gio show. He could still sign a backup QB. He said that that was among the things they would be looking at in the coming days and weeks. So, it doesn't sound like Morgan was necessarily drafted to be the backup QB this year. He was drafted for his potential in the future. I was a little surprised and disappointed by his reaction. He witnessed how awful things were last year with Falk as the backup. IMO one of the top priorities this offseason should have been identifying and signing a competent backup QB. The fact that he has waited this late and still doesn't sound like he has a plan is a big negative against him and his judgment. I think counting on a 4th round rookie, no matter how smart or how much arm talent he has is not a wise course of action. Not only could the team struggle badly should Sam get injured, but it could hinder Morgan's development, or even ruin it by throwing him to the wolves before he is ready.

westiedog1, Cman68 and Footballgod214 like this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sounds like scout-speak for big arm but not accurate.

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I agree with needing a vet to sit next to Sam this season. Not a Cam Newton type, but someone who's played in a system similar to what Gase tries to run here. Someone who could step in for a series or a game and not stink the joint up. I doubt Morgan can develop that fast with an abbreviated TC. But ya, we could use someone with NFL experience for a season.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. westiedog1

What about Flacco?

16. NCJetsfan

Nah, I've never been a Flacco fan. I don't think he would be a good fit for our system, either

westiedog1 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. DefenseWinsChampionships

Very rarely do you find great backups who are willing to backup; rather than start.

Career journeymen jags such as the Fitzpatrick's, McCown, Trevor and Hoyer's of the world is what "big name" FA QBs get you... It's better to draft one.

Very rarely does a Tom Brady come around often; however @ almost 45 years old I'm glad we've got Sam.

And thank the football God's we did not invest our salary cap into another FA QB in Cousins. I rather have Sam + cap space on a rookie contract.

However drafting kids such Jimmy G to develop behind your starting QB is the best recipe for success due to an old saying of; it's hard to teach an old dog new tricks; these guys are FA QBs for a reason because A.) They can't lead you to the playoffs. B.) They are old washed up and on the verge of retiring and C.) Backups for a reason because they are not and/or no longer good enough to start so D.) They are available. E.) The great FA QBs still capable of starting will F.) Never agree to backing up a 22 year old Sam Darnold. Ever.

Could you imagine Tom Brady holding a clipboard? And I don't trust two red heads in the same room, what if Andy Dalton has no soul and deeply wants to see Sam fail in order for his own greed to one day become a starter again? Hah!

ala Give me the untapped potential to develop under Brady/Darnold rather than the "no career playoff wins types of veteran backup mediocre JAG QBs" (all for not).

18. westiedog1

The problem with this approach is what if the team is in the running for a playoff spot and the QB goes down? Are you willing to put all that's been accomplished to that point on the shoulders of some untested rookie? We saw how that worked last season and I hope the Jets learned something.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

[​IMG]

I like your optimism though :D

20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Who should have been signed then by the Jets to be the backup?

Dalton just was released and got scooped by the Boys.

Daniel? Driskel, McCoy, Hoyer? Those are the backups who’ve signed somewhere else (I don’t count Jameis, he wasn’t coming here)

The rest is Flacco, Siemien, Glennon ...the rest are likely on par with what the Jets have in camp. I mean if you don’t care for Flacco and Glennon, there simply isn’t the backup talent out there. Do you suggest Cam?

ColoradoContrails likes this.