Do you want the Jets to trade for OBJ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 29, 2020.

?

Read the Title

1. Yes

18.8%
  2. No

81.3%
  1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't want him if he were free and some other team paid his salary and the NFL gave the Jets a waiver on salary cap ramification.

2. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Oh hell no!

3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Good post. The reality is Great NFL WR put up great numbers consistently. OBJ is a freak but he's head is getting in the way. It's like comparing Dominique Wilkins the "Human Highlight reel" to Oscar Robertson. Robertson was great with a brain, Dominique was great without a brain.

Current WR first 6 years:

Mike Evans has 7260 in 6 years.
    Hopkins has 7437 first 6 years
    Julio has 7610 first 6 years

There's lots of WR who put up big numbers. OBJ isn't remotely an all time great HOF player. He's really good clearly Hall of very good. With the kind of numbers WR are putting up today he won't come close unless he gets his head out of his ass and really focuses on being great instead of being acknowledged as great.

ColoradoContrails and J-Raw24 like this.
  4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. If you have seen what magic Joe D pulls out of his draft picks, you shouldn't want to see him trade draft picks for OBJ.
    2. I hear next year's WR class is just as deep.
    3. Logical step should be a). holding onto all the picks and b). getting some more picks.

Trading high draft picks for OBJ is counterproductive both short term and long term.

#84 Zach, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    K'OB, NCJetsfan, LAJet and 2 others like this.
  5. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Mogriffjr, K'OB and BrowningNagle like this.
  6. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

The good news is FL is opening up so he won't be quarantined and have all the time in the world to send novella replies.

Falco21 likes this.
  7. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

The million dollar question for me is what do we have to give up. I would never give up a #1 pick for him. Especially since it may be a top 5 pick if we have a rough season. I would go #2 the most for him.

8. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Thinking about OBJ makes me recall the Rex Ryan clown car photo from the newspaper.

I’d pass.

Jonathan_Vilma likes this.
  9. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

He has had 3 years as a great wr 1. 2 as an ok receiver. 1 he was injured but bad. He hasn't been great in 3 years. He is a drama queen that's mediocre now. Not worth it when we can develop our own with losing Capitol or causing locker room issues.

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

It’s too bad that OBJ, a talented and electrifying WR self destructs in value by his immaturity off the field. On one side he would immediately become the most talented offensive player in our team, but also bring along 4x times the immaturity issues of our own Jamal Adams and at a very steep price both in $$ and picks.
    IMO JD would never consider that an option.
    This team for once did it right with the draft, and is starting to develop an image of acquiring players that work hard, give it all, love football, and lead by example on and or off the field. This trade would put us right back on the old path, losing picks, creating and inflated contract and deviating from what JD has established it takes to be a Jet. Unfortunately he is just not that guy, if he was, he probably still be with the Giants.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Nah it's all the TDs and big plays he makes.

Incredible football player.

12. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

When you're trying to build a winning culture the last thing you want to do is bring in a player who hasn't been winning and who is renowned for having his own personal culture.

Football is a team game and individuals who don't blend well into that are generally not winning players. They can be great but they're usually not winners.

Falco21, LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I remember what Jerry Rice had to say about the arrival of Deion Sanders in SF. He didn't like it. Deion didn't stay in SF that long either.

14. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

I love this topic. I've discussed this same thing with several Jets' fans outside of the forums, and the voting seems to reflect what I've encountered which is that most don't want OBJ on this team. For me, I vote yes with no hesitation. Here's my reasoning.

When bringing in "troubled" players like this, the context and timing matters. It is why I was vehemently against getting AB last year, but don't hesitate on OBJ. AB last year was clearly spiraling out of control and was looking to get rewarded with huge payday after derailing the Steelers playoff push. OBJ, on the other hand, is coming off a terrible season where he was clearly miserable all year in CLE. It's the biggest known secret that he wants to get back to NYC in the worst way as well.

The Jets would be in a perfect position to acquire him. You'd have an immensely talented WR who is highly motivated, back in the place he wants to be, and under our terms. We'd have complete leverage, and I'd love to see what he'd do here under those circumstances. I imagine he'd put up a season at WR we haven't seen here in quite some time. He'd be a short term boon for our offense, and if things start to turn a bit sour, you get rid of him. No harm, no foul.

It reminds me a bit of Santonio Holmes. I thought that was an incredible coo for us back then. The only mistake we made was foolishly giving him that long term contract, which made us lose all our leverage to keep him in check.

Brook! likes this.
  15. Sec124DieHard

Sec124DieHard Well-Known Member

If that was the case, highly unlikely he would be on the trading block.

16. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

Did you know this phrase was borne out of discrimination?

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Now, just you wait a cotton-picking minute young man, coming on here with your accusations.

;)

fansince90 likes this.
  18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I feel a strong Warrior + DWC partnership being forged in this thread. Can't wait.

19. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

To go along with all those SB rings he wears from his days with the Giants and the Browns?

He helped get his team to the playoffs once and completely shit the bed

Hes a selfish loser who for all his talents doesnt make anyone on his team better.

20. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yep. That's when he planned the infamous boat trip and then went on to drop at least one (I think it was two but I can't remember the second) big ball during that playoff loss.

At least one of his fellow receivers is now level headed about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports...l-beckham-jr-green-bay-packers-221934001.html

LF911SC likes this.