Adam Gase Thread (Merged)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Sep 16, 2019.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I won't speak for others, but first, if Bowles were still the HC, I would still be calling for him to fired. It was an absolute joke - and proof that the Johnsons are ignorant about football - that they gave him an extension instead of firing him.

But I will use Bowles to support my contention that it's never too soon to fire a bad HC. Bowles was not HC material, and it was clear when he failed to get them into the playoffs the first year, and made more clear each year thereafter. The Jets wasted 4 years keeping Bowles and Maccagnan. I fervently hope they don't make that same mistake with Gase. As for Douglas, he's miles ahead of Macc, in fact he's from a different universe, and I expect to see him as GM for at least the length of his first contract. But if Gase doesn't show a turn around in how he does things, he needs to be gone.

NYJetsO12 and SOJAZ like this.
  2. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i hear a lot of people saying Gase didn't play to the players' strengths. that may be true but So what? I don't agree that's some holy point of view

If Andy Reid came here what would you expect him to do, or Bill the Cheat, or Tuna or name your favorite coach. They have their view of what they want to do and they're going to do it

They're not going to cater to the roster, especially when the roster is imbalanced, crap thrown-together-collection of mediocre-minus talent

A good coach plays his book and he finds out who can thrive under that and who needs to go. There will be growing pains with that approach but it's the right approach. What would have happened if he catered to last year's roster? What would happen -- another win or two -- and we'd still be without an idea of what we're trying to accomplish, establish or improve on

Hopefully the team now has an identify and a plan so the GM can hire coaches and obtain players consistent with that plan. I hope we're on the right track (not smart enough to guarantee that will happen). I'm not going to criticize Gase though for wanting to run his book. It was the right call

The fact we got to the point of expecting a score on opening drive is a miracle. He does it again and we should have a statue of him out front. The same people crapping on Gase are the same people who are correctly identifying we had no offensive talent because our front office neglected so many aspects of it for far too long. It's like a contestant on Chopped (or whatever the hell that cooking show is). Here make a good meal out of an eggplant, cheeze whiz and some whipped cream

(BTW: love em or hate em you can look at the Bills now and Pats for years; they have a plan about what type of team they need in the Northeast -- and in the Pats case what kind of team they need for the playoffs)

Biggs, Mogriffjr and twown like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Colorado. You know I really respect your opinion. I’m also not a big Gase fan, but where I disagree wholeheartedly with many here is in two areas.
    1- We can’t keep jerking the organization around after one year, particularly a year where we were frocked with significant and critical setbacks,
    2- Also, I strongly disagree with claiming ease of schedule as an excuse...particularly some here that throw in our faces at the same time that “you are are what your record says you are” so if loosing your QB is not an excuse, neither is a win because of ease of schedule, particularly with the bottom of the barrel offense they claim we also had. So a strong finish does not merit firing the coach. Not this year
    However, next year all bets are off for Gase, he has a much improved team, regardless of what many keep telling us. He needs to improve, and a winning season will do that.

SOJAZ and FJF like this.
  4. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

What are those positive things he has done to get your vote? Specifically. What part of the team did he make better; which players? What individual games were you impressed by? Which ones had a great game plan? When did you see him pull the team together and create a better outcome? There must be something concrete you can put your finger on without talking about the roster and injuries, right?

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

the roster last year was quite dreadful, I’m not sure what other coaches could have done better with a below par offensive line period. Nevermind the lack of weapons and the dearth of injuries ...

6. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

I do think the coaching staff deserve some credit for keeping the wheels on after the 1-7 start. That the team didn’t throw the towel in and clearly kept playing hard (despite their limitations) when it could have got really ugly is a positive in my eyes, regardless of schedule.

I say coaching staff because I fail to see specifically what Gase did to contribute to our record. He was very clear when he came in here that he viewed Gregg Williams as the HC of the Defence and had very little to do with them day to day. In nearly all cases, it was the defence that won games for the Jets last year. A unit that by the way overcame multiple injuries without a noticeable drop in production.

Meanwhile, the de facto head coach of the offence lead his unit to 31st in the NFL. If he’d been hired as OC he would have been fired without any doubt.

I get the point some have made about switching coach every year - but to me it’s a bigger mistake to hang on to someone clearly under performing just because it’s not the done thing to fire someone after a season. And it’s not as if the Jets haven’t given previous coaches a fair run. Bowles probably got at least a year too long in my opinion.

I hope Gase succeeds in 2020 I’m a life long Jets fan and just want us to win. I just don’t think Gase has it as a HC based on what we’ve seen so far here and in Miami.

7. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

There's very little chance Jets can improve on the 7-9 record next season, it's almost a certainty Gase will be gone by this time next year.

8. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

What?

If the Jets had their current offensive line and Sam didn’t get mono, they would have been 9-7 if not better last year.

If the Jets offensive line meshes and they can run the ball a bit + Mosely and Williams are healthy on defense, they are going to be a lot better than people are thinking. Even their CB, Safety situation is drastically improved.

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

10. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I just hope we don't ruin Darnold in the process.

If the season spirals out of control this year, we gotta pull the plug on Gase mid season.

There's not much in his body of work to give me any confidence this year won't be terrible.
    Williams, Boyer, and a few of the position coaches I do like tho, which may be enough to hold the team together in the interim.

11. chandler

mess up. i'll try again

12. BacktoQueens

If the Jets didn't embarrass themselves in Cincy and Miami, the worst teams in football, they would've been 9-7.
    Schedule was softest i've ever seen.

In terms of this season, the Oline looks to have improved quite a bit, which is a credit to Douglas's approach to team building.
    Outside of that tho, the roster heading into 2019 pre injuries isn't all that different talent wise than the one heading into 2020.
    And the soft schedule won't be there.

Jake, SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. NCJetsfan

I just decided to stay out of the fray. I can see both sides of the issue. I'll see how things go this year, and then make my thoughts known.

Red Menace, SOJAZ and J-Raw24 like this.
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

As long as we're going to base things on pure conjecture. My conjecture is that Gase and Douglas have a great working relationship and the offseason was most definitely a collaborative effort.

In last years draft, Mac looked like he was a hostage clearly making unilateral decisions about both FA and the draft. I suspect it's one of the biggest reasons Mac was shit canned.

The in spite of Gase on Sam sounds like another pure conjecture argument. Capitalizing isn't evidence, it's still pure conjecture. It's sort of like saying Tom Brady is the GOAT in spite of Belichick. While the actual reality is Tom Brady was the GOAT with Belichick as his coach. Sam improved with Gase as his head coach. That's all we really know.

FJF and chandler like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

I will respond to this and say that I disagree with the bold. I think a good coach adapts to the talent (or lack thereof) on a team. He doesn't stubbornly and stupidly trying to force his players to do something they're not capable of (trying to force square pegs into round holes). He adapts his system, even if it's just until they can get the players he wants/needs for his scheme to succeed, but he can discover that perhaps that scheme will work well, then the roster doesn't have to be turned over and a consistent winner can be produced more quickly.

IMO only stubborn assholes and bad HCs take your approach. They're bad because they cost their teams wins and because they cause the roster to have to be turned over, and it takes longer to produce a winner.

The identity of a team doesn't have to do anything with its scheme. You want players that have a great work ethic, hate to lose, are smart, don't beat themselves with stupid penalties, who are athletic, team-first, etc. Those types of players will succeed in any scheme.

16. BacktoQueens

Br*dy is far from being the goat, stop with that nonsense.
    He benefited massively from working with an incredible coach.
    The same incredible coach that outclassed Gase to the point Darnold was seeing ghosts last year, while Gase did nothing to alleviate that.
    No adjustments to the Cover zero blitz, per usual, while Belichick smirked at how easy it was.

That's all evidence.
    Darnold was swimming at points last season, rather than progressing.

The collaboration part of your argument is just wishful thinking, and doesn't exactly jive with Gase's past FO relationships.

17. chandler

i saw your comment for a moment and thought your description sounded like Belichek

18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You put some weapons around that squad and look out.

stinkyB, NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

By far from you mean in the conversation with maybe 5 guys.
    Sam posted a winning record in games he started last year.
    The Jets went 6 and 2 in the last 8 games after Sam saw Ghosts against NE.
    Sam improved his stat line and win line from year 1 to year 2 surrounded by bottom 3 offensive rosters in the league in Offensive talent.

FJF likes this.
  20. BacktoQueens

"Wins" are not a QB stat, which is exactly why you overrate Br*dy as well.
    Our defense was a much bigger factor than the O in most of our wins, and were against pretty soft opponents at that.

in terms of actual QB stats, look at how Darnold finished the last quarter of his rookie season.
    He regressed from how he ended upon that rookie campaign. How much of that was due to mono I'm not sure, as that certainly could've have played a factor.
    But overall, I'm not seeing how Gase improved him.
    Darnold's 2019 was a disappointment after how he finished his rookie year.