Nostradamuses thread!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by chandler, Apr 28, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Thank god you're a fan on a message board and not the GM. Woof! I don't even know where to start with this so I just won't.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I will wait with bated breath to read your treatise on the Ravens, 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots, Seahawks, Vikings and Titan's WR corps (all Top 10 offenses last year).

3. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. .Spot on 'noodle arm' observation.

. .Re: .the declarative overkill that followed: . maybe the standard NCJetfan cliche': "I disagree" instead?

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like the Morgan pick and the Jets need a development type QB behind Darnold. Bonus that we snagged him before New England. Maybe one day he could be our Tom Brady and torture the Patriots for over a decade. Big guy nice arm just has to work on some things like everyone else that comes into the NFL. I wish they would have taken a TE. My only beef.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

17 of 25 WR who had 1,000 yards last year weren’t first rounders. Joe nailed this draft.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

i think some of you guys are cheating and applying hindsight to your foresight. Don't be naughty!

for example the fact that Cee Dee lamb went at 17 or whereever doesn't mean you can now say you'd engineer a trade at 15 to snag him. Or now knowing that some tackle ended up lasting to the third round doesn't entitle you to use hindsight and say you'd now with the benefit of hindsight pass on OT in round 1 and gone WR

I'm hoping to keep it simple. Just say where we flubbed and who you would have picked who was then available in that slot. No trades. Be honest about what you would have done in real time if your were the GM

A year or two from now we'll find out who is a stud or dud (both players and mock-GMs)

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

There's a middle ground between saying you can find good WR's off the street and saying you need to take WR's in the 1st round.

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My first takes on what JD was doing after round 1 Becton and round 2 Mims was " why the QB and of course , wheres the WR??"

Then when you break it down piece by piece from punter, CB to RB and extra OL it just makes a hell of alot of sense for Gates Offense and Williams D. eg looking to head off a Safety contract problem then upstaging BB possible greed for .Morgan....thats what a good GM does!

My Prediction>>>Its all good>>>all will be well;)

PJ4Ever likes this.
  9. PJ4Ever

I agree. Just pointing it out for the Jeudy/Lamb crowd. I also would’ve taken another WR, but after the Becton/Mims perfection, I told myself I was trusting Douglas. The upside of this first 2 picks is just enormous.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Before the draft I already projected the trade in my mock.

At # 11 the following players were avialable:

Becton
    Wirfs
    Jeudy
    Lamb
    Ruggs III

At # 15 we would be able to get one of those players as well.

The Raiders clearly wanted Ruggs.

I would prefer Jeudy over Lamb but so did the Broncos.

The Bucs would have taken one of the tackles.

Therefore pick # 15 would be Wirfs, Becton, or Lamb.

Although the 49ers took a defensive player I am assuming someone else trades up to steal the remaining OT leaving us with Lamb,

None of this has anything to do with hindsight.

Also, I took most of the players in later rounds well above their actual slot.

11. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

that’s not what the guy I quoted said though.

12. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Huh? The Vikings have had a top pairing of receivers for the past two years. The Cowboys just paid Amari Cooper $20 million because of what they believe his value to the team is. The 49ers and Titans had two of the top receivers in the league in the second half of the year and the 49ers also have an All-Pro tightend to supplement their receiving group.

The Seahawks developed Metcalf who looked nothing short of the next Doug Baldwin. The Patriots group struggled. It's tough to tell how talented the Ravens corps is but that's primarily because a third of Lamar Jackson's yardage per game is rushing. But the group is built around speed.

The only one of your examples that actually works is the Patriots and even then they have a Hall of Famer in Edelman.

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for pointing that out. You're right. That was too much.

14. PJ4Ever

I agree with his overall point that skill players aren’t as important as OL or QB, but a bit overboard with “not important at all”

15. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

1st round it was either Becton or Wirfs. I like Wirfs but is he a tackle? I think they got that one right.

2nd round. I definitely sweated dropping back but getting Mims at 59 seems like a good pick so happy.

3rd round. Would've loved Josh Jones. From what I see I like Ashtyn Davis. Think he'll be a slot and nickle corner for us and the eventual replacement for Maye. So a good pick but could've went elsewhere.

Zuniga I feel if healthy is athletic but felt we could've gotten Sam another receiver.

4th round: The trade back was good. Perine seems ok. I liked a few other rb but we needed one so we'll see with him.

Morgan seems like a good prospect. Eventual backup. If lucky trade him like Jimmy G one day.

Clark I like. Let him develop this year. Be eventual starting guard.

I like the Clark pick the other two not sold on. Really needed a receiver a number were available. At least one receiver would've been my pick.

5: Bryce Hall: Perfect value. Good deal for us.

6: Mann and the trade of Wilson. Fill needs and will contribute. Get that in round 6 you are good. Still wanted that receiver.

Overall good draft class. Need to hope Becton and Mims are slam dunks. If Davis and Zuniga contribute this year and eventually become starters might be our best draft class in a long time. Perine and Clark same as Davis and Zuniga. Morgan if he can be a good backup or be flipped a positive and anything from Mann Hall and Wilson will be gravy. We'll see how it plays out in 2023.

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

They had Diggs and crap last year. Still a Top 10 offense.

And he sucks (He doesn't suck, he's league average - but you get my point).

Production? Yes. Talent? Nope. Which makes my point for me.

We're not talking about tight ends. He said wide receivers.

He's better than Doug Baldwin. But Doug Baldwin is an average WR.

... and the offense finished in the Top 10.

That's fine. The Jamaican track team is also built around speed, but that doesn't make them an above-average WR corps. Baltimore has a bunch of nobodies at WR; their offense was Top 10.

Nope, they pretty much all work just fine. These are not teams with All-Pro WRs. And they certainly aren't teams with multiple Pro-Bowlers WRs. The are groups of average-at-best WRs with solid offensive lines and good QBs (the Titans don't even have a good QB, he sucks too). And they had Top 10 offenses ... which was exactly my point. You wouldn't trade a first round pick for any WR on any of these teams. I'm not sure I would trade a second round pick for any of them (maybe Diggs, if his contract was not a consideration).

#56 Unhappyjetsfan, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
  17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Another surprise faller as well oddly.

18. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I thought that was the point of the thread to select who you thought Joe D should have selected at the time he made his selections, hence my pick of Jones in round 3 over Davis and then we will see which 'Nostradamus' was right Joe D (hopefully) or me (anybody else who picked a selection) and not a who would you have selected from the off draft.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think we can do that. For instance, originally I thought I'd be able to take Pittman at pick #48. He went before #48, so I couldn't have taken him. We have to take players that were still available at our original picks (which is what I did), not where Douglas traded down to and get extra picks.

James Hasty likes this.
  20. Donttasemebro

Donttasemebro Well-Known Member

I’ve been reading/listening to Matt waldman for more than a decade. He’s very reliable particularly with skill position players on offense.

he believes, I think rightly so, that Fromm has everything except the arm (including mental processing that is very difficult to teach) but that’s it’s possible he can still develop his throwing motion enough to get within the tolerances for arm strength. To date, his throwing motion is all upper body with very little trunk rotation and lower body support. They’re working with him on it now and he publicly described what he’s been doing biomechanically to fix it.

Fromm will likely be a journeyman but he’ll be in the league a long time and he likely will develop into a serviceable qb who won’t hurt you in spot starts.

Less confident on Morgan.

Waldman's general overview of Fromm as an underrated QB (for conversation's sake...waldman puts his potential somewhere in the neighborhood kirk cousins assuming his arm develops):

Jake Fromm: The trending perspective on Fromm is that he’s a smart but physically-limited quarterback whose best years are already behind him. I’ve seen the SEC Champion
    ship Game against LSU as one of the larger supporting arguments.

Watch this game in the same casual way one examines Fromm’s box score from the contest and it appears Fromm lacked the physical tools to match up with NFL-caliber defensive backs. The main takeaway I see is that Fromm lacks the velocity of an NFL starter.

What hasn’t been discussed outside of former NFL quarterback J.T. O’Sullivan’s excellent analysis of quarterbacking on his QB School YouTube channel is that Fromm’s former offensive coordinator James Coley inadvertently hamstrung Fromm with his offensive design.

The recently-fired Coley matched perimeter routes to five-step drops that are normally matched with three-step drops in the NFL. The result of this questionable design practice was Fromm taking two extra steps before he delivered intermediate and vertical throws—often from the opposite side of the field—against man coverage.

These are timing routes and when a quarterback’s release is two steps later than normal, the ball will arrive late. When evaluators see a ball arrive late on film, the first conclusion is that a late ball is a signifier of a lack of velocity.

While it’s true Fromm lacks top-end velocity, it’s false that his velocity isn’t good enough for the NFL and isn’t improvable to the point that in 2-3 years, there’s a strong likelihood that we won’t be questioning Fromm’s arm strength any more than we question Drew Brees’ or Kirk Cousins’.

Fromm has one of the best samples of opposite-hash accuracy in this class. This is not a common result for a player with velocity sub-par for the NFL game. Although he cannot deliver line-drive trajectories with routes beyond 30 yards, his distance-throwing and accuracy is in the range of 40-45 yards. This is the range of Matt Ryan’s vertical prowess for throws where the quarterback can place air under the ball.

Fromm realizes that his velocity needs work and he’s working on loosening up his shoulders and chest to increase the whiplike motion of his release and more importantly, he’s tweaking his lower-half release motion to incorporate his legs into his throws.

When you consider that Fromm has been getting away with throwing the football mainly with his arm, it underscores just how much opportunity there is for him to improve his velocity. He won’t gain the arm talent of Matthew Stafford, but Brees and Cousins is well within reasonable projection.

Taking this into account, as well as Fromm’s pocket presence, reads of the field, and talent for throwing from different platforms, there’s a lot more to like about Fromm’s upside as a starter than many realize.

James Morgan, FIU (6-4, 229) (waldman compared him to lesser deshone kizer)

 Will make logical decision to skip first read and target second option based on what he identifies with the defense and generates bigger plays.
     Aggressive thrower in the middle of the field that will target tight windows if the leverage and timing make sense.
     Avoids interior pressure in tight quarters with small reduction of shoulder and then climbs and fires with accuracy.
     Displays maturity to throw the ball away in the red zone when under heavy pressure.
     Short-range accuracy with off-platform throws while on the move to his left or right.
     Late with timing routes—must show greater anticipation.
     Defense doesn’t buy his attempts to manipulate with his eyes. Must sell the look-offs longer.
     Much better avoiding interior pressure than edge pressure—a liability of his game.
     Flushes into pressure.
     Attempts dangerous throws under pressure.
     Internal clock for gauging pressure is set a beat slow.
     Must work on opening his frame to one side during his drop to help him manipulate defenders in rhythm.

#60 Donttasemebro, Apr 29, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    NCJetsfan likes this.