Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Should it be improved? Yes slightly.But its certainly not a fierce unit by any stretch & could easily perform at the very bottom of the league.There is no dependable productivity at this stage other than Crowder & hes not always healthy.

Im not arguing optimism vs Pessimism for roster.Im just flat out sick of hearing that we dont need good WRs as a rationalization for subpar scouting at the position. Its insulting to anyone who cares about this team actually scoring points who has sat through garbage since 2011.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I hear you! But it just goes to show what going that length of time will do to a team's ability to score.

I have always said that this team's ignorance of offense was criminal. But what was really criminal - I mean Texas Chainsaw gory - was watching that pitiful excuse for an OL last year. To me that made fixing that the priority. Should they also still try to improve the receiving corps? Absolutely! In fact, I would even favor offering Adams to the Cowboys for Cooper and next year's first, but I still think taking Becton first was the right move.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

My guess would be that Douglas and Gase are banking on improvement this season, with a wildcard not out of the realm of imagination, and planning to be fully in the competition in 2021.

If the Jets are winning in 2021 it makes the Sam Darnold situation easier to manage. If they're not then we're probably looking for a QB again as Darnold will have had 4 years as the starter without proving that he's the guy. If they are then they find a way to lock up Darnold and keep the momentum towards a Super Bowl going, maybe by throwing a ton of 2022 money at him to leverage the cap further into the window.

Obviously if they catch a break in 2020 and slide into the playoffs everything becomes easier as that would be the time to lockup Darnold.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I can't see how do many people think that this group of receivers is anything but bottom third in the league.

Seriously. It's a not a very talented or deep group.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Br4d

Absolutely true.

You can say that for virtually every position group on the Jets now aside from interior defense.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I think next year the #1 priority will be Edge, followed closely by WR, RB, and CB (unless Austin, Hall, and/or Wilson prove to be very good). Depending upon what happens with Herndon, Griffin and Wesco, with next year being a supposedly strong TE draft, I could see TE being a priority as well.

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

What's frustrating is that the WR's we've taken haven't amount to much. Stephen Hill, ArDarius Stewart, Chad Hansen, etc.... Meanwhile guys we passed on such as Chris Godwin and Kenny Golladay have become good WR's. Maybe Mims is the start of better things to come. Still not enough even if he becomes a #1.

8. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd rather have Lamb and next year's first.

Mr mittens and J-Raw24 like this.
  9. Br4d

The reason it feels like Douglas was ahead was that Mac, with the exception of the Darnold flash of brilliance/fiasco, never seemed to have much of a plan outside of drafting future DUI's.

I think Mac relied on the interview too much and ignored red flags to the point that he was flying blind on draft day. I also think his scouts, like the group before them, were over-rated and working from a bad system that didn't accurately describe a prospect's chances in the NFL.

twown, boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Br4d

In the "Interesting Facts for 200" category is that Amari Cooper has just a $2M dead money hit for the Cowboys and a $10M cap savings if traded after June 1st.

His contract was designed to be tradeable throughout 2020 with a window from June 1st to the trade deadline where he is extremely cheap to trade. The trade off is that his 2021-2024 numbers are $22M against the cap each year.

Not that the Jets would necessarily entertain an Adams for Cooper deal this summer but the economics say it is very doable. Like his contract was engineered to make it so.

Edit: looking at the numbers in detail on Overthecap.com I think it is possible that the dead money hit is $10M and the savings $2M. Cooper got a $10M signing bonus and I think all of that hits the cap if he is traded post June 1st. It is possible I am missing something. OTC is usually dead-on with their cap splits.

#110 Br4d, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Me too, but I doubt the Cowboys do that. They can have Lamb who might become a better WR than Cooper and will certainly be cheaper.

12. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

We should hire some scouts from Steelers or Chiefs!! Agree with your commend and am hoping we do better with WR talent evaluation with our current regime -- tough to imagine it can get worse

13. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets has always been known for having good WRs in the past from the SB III days of Maynard and Sauer to Caster, Wesley Walker, Al Toon, Keyshawn, Chrebet, Coles, etc. These last 8 years for whatever reason haven’t worked draft wise. Hopefully Mims changes this.

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Our WR core is still unproven and we def could and should have drafted one more player...Maybe Mims will turn out to be a Pro Bowler in year 1....odds will tell us that isnt likely if you look at past second round WRs most recently Stephen Hill (Out of the League),Devin Smith (out of the league)....The Jets have been the best drafting team over the last 10 years as far as drafting guys who have completley new careers 3 years later.

15. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Devin Smith is a Cowboy, so forgetting about the fact that the failure of past 2nd round picks have nothing to do with the present day 2nd round pick you’re post is factually incorrect.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He had 5 catches last year....he will be cut before September..

PJ4Ever likes this.
  17. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Mims was my WR5. I had him over Ruggs. Point being, nobody knows how these guys end up. Mims upside is just as high as Ruggs JR any of these top guys.

19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sadly you named almost all of the good ones. That goes back to 1962. 58 years
    If you look at our drafting going back to day 1 we have whiffed outright on an amazing amount of WR.
    The reality is we have generally been bad at drafting them and rarely had a dynamic passing attack. When we had it was fully imprinted in your memory. To be far we have not been a very good drafting team for most of our history.

twown likes this.
  20. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

No the Jets drafting history has been terrible. I personally go back to around 1981 .... I remember the Jets having good passing attacks - and of course back then it was mostly home grown. These last 10 years have been awful ..... and several other periods before that were also awful.

Biggs likes this.