The Legit Draft Day Trade We Rejected (Article Included)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 27, 2020.

1. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

https://sports.nbcsports.com/2020/0...virtual-draft-room-during-hectic-first-round/

If you guys are anything like me, you're trying to find more Jet's news to cope with being past draft season. I thought some of you would enjoy this article I found by Peter King, he documented his experiences in the Bucs draft meeting and it has a dialogue with Bucs GM Jason Licht and Joe Douglas over a potential trade.

Licht was trying to trade up vigorously and was having trouble finding a partner--Peter King writes about the exchanges in the article. It does seem we were really set on Becton no matter what, it's nice to know that our staff really believes strongly about his potential.

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts! The main dialogue I'll paste below

9:21. Licht calls Jets GM Joe Douglas on his cell. “Joe, how you doing? . . . Okay, call me back . . . Yeah . . . It’ll be for what we talked about. We’ll come up.” Off the call, Licht reports to the Cisco gang: “Joe says they got two guys here. If Cleveland doesn’t take one, he might move. I’m guessing Joe wants [Louisville tackle Mekhi] Becton.

9:23. Staring at screens. The waiting is the hardest part.

9:24. Licht: “Somebody get ready to call the Raiders.” McCartney calls GM Mike Mayock of Las Vegas (12) to find out his status.

1. Cleveland takes Alabama tackle Jedrick Wills.
    9:25. Two tackles left. Pretty easy to see now that Tampa Bay wants a tackle. But which one? Licht calls Douglas. “Hey,” Licht says, “what are you doing?” Off the phone in 12 seconds. Licht to the Cisco gang: “They’re picking. Says they’re picking the guy large and in charge. Must be [364-pound] Becton.”

9:26. Frustration. Licht stays pretty cool, but he’s tensing up. Nobody wants to trade—for anything! When’s the last time the draft was 11 picks deep without a trade? The Raiders (12) are next. The Bucs are sure they’ll take a receiver, which makes them a good target. Mayock knows the Bucs, at 14, won’t want a receiver. To the Cisco gang Licht says: “I like giving ‘em the three and four and getting back their three. (Tampa trading 14, 76 and 117 and getting 12 and 81 back.) Much debate back and fourth. Just offer the four, someone suggests. Our three, five and six and they give us their three back, another suggests.

1. Jets take Louisville tackle Mekhi Becton. Raiders on the clock.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I like that Douglas didn't go for that trade, and that he stuck to his plan. Also, that he DID trade back later, showing me that he's flexible and not locked into a "formula" - if he gets the right offer and it doesn't conflict with what his plan is, he'll trade back.

I cannot imagine Macc ever doing this.

boozer32, Brook!, themorey and 3 others like this.
  3. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

JD goes into each round with a short list of players that all graded out similar and he'd be OK with any of them at that point in the draft. All high character players with good potential for helping the team. Drafting at 11 and needing a LT, he probably had 3 tackles on his short list...Thomas, Wills, & Becton. With only Becton left, he had no choice but to stay put.

Later in the draft, like the 2nd round, his short list probably had 8 or 9 players worthy of our pick. 3 or so WRs, a few DBs, a few Edge rushers. Enough to trade down 10 spots and hoping at least one of his short list players would still be there. He took Mims. We don't know who he woulda taken if he stayed put.

I like his strategy. He doesn't get fixated on a single players which sometimes causes GMs to get nervous and trade up for.

He keeps a well thought out short list. Then when someone wants to trade, he looks at the players on his list, the drop back (10), and who was drafting in front of him and who he thought those teams were looking for. If he feels his short list is safe, or at least most of it, he pulls the trigger. Adds capital and still get a player on his short list.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting/sharing this. Good stuff. I love that Becton was their man all along.

egelband and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

"Says they’re picking the guy large and in charge." :cool:

6. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This makes me feel all the more comfortable with Becton, not that I was wavering at all about that.

Joe D clearly had Becton high on his list and even with the potential of trading and receiving more picks, he stayed put and selected his guy. Shows me that his mind was set, Becton is probably a stud, and he knew our needs and knew this would clearly address a huge need. He didn't succumb to a trade and lose out on making this team better.

I'm really loving what I am seeing from Joe D

7. wellemann

wellemann Member

Really interesting.
    A trade with Tampa and then none of the tackles being there would have been horrible.

All the talk about Josh Jones in the mid 1st round wasn't true either. He just kept falling.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

How do we know Wills wasn’t ranked higher on our board? They clearly valued Becton more than Wirfs and I get that because of what we were looking for but according to this article we had two guys we wanted and if Cleveland didn’t take one we would trade back. We didn’t trade back which means Wills was on our board. I wonder why Licht assumes we wanted Becton.

either way I’m glad that we didn’t trade back seeing how the rest of the draft worked out. If we were going to settle for anything other than the top receiver on the board then we needed to go with one of the top ranked tackles on the board and trading back gave us no guarantee one would be there even though it was probably likely.

9. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Makes me think Becton was high on everyone's list and was listed as a top 3 lineman on every board. Thomas, Wills, and Becton.

As soon as Cleveland took Wills, it was inevitable that the Jets would take Becton if Becton was that high on every board.

Makes you really think we got a stud

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

The article doesn’t say what the offer was.

That makes it impossible to know if rejecting it was the right idea or not

11. BroadwayAaron

well we know what Tampa gave up to move one slot.... a fourth. We can assume it was probably a third and we didn’t even have the 7th to give up like the Niners did so we probably would have had to give up a 6th and get back a 5th to make the points work.

12. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

Macc rarely seemed to get the best of a deal, he would throw in late rd picks, or just swap
    rds, JD is going to change this team!!

4jetfans and FrontOfficeFanatic like this.
  13. BroadwayAaron

I'm sure Becton and Wirfs were alternating 3/4 on team boards depending on what they needed. Becton is the traditional tackle while Wirfs can play seemingly any position on the line.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

You know I love me some Mac bashing. Mac would've given up a first, a second and a third to move up three spots to take Wills. Or taken Kinlaw. I'm not kidding.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I just heard an interview with Marty Hurney, the GM of the Panthers. It was rumored here or somewhere that the Jets had spoken with the Panthers about trading down, and maybe even had a tentative deal in place. If the last part was stated, it was false. Hurney said that before the draft many teams seemed willing to trade up or down, and he was a bit surprised that when it came to the actual 1st round of the draft that few teams traded. He said that either teams got the player they wanted at their pick, or the player they wanted to trade up for was gone by the pick of the team they were going to trade up with.

Hurney was asked if he was approached by other teams about trading down. He said that he was (didn't mention any names), but said that if Derek Brown was there they would not have traded down, and that even if he wasn't there, it would have taken a very good trade offer to get them to move down.

He said that they didn't intend to have an all defensive draft. He said that there were several offensive players that they really liked, but they were gone by the Panthers pick, and the best player on their board at each pick was the defensive player they wound up taking. He said that they did need to focus on defense and would have used most of their picks on D anyway, but the draft just fell in a certain way that caused them to pick only D. It sounds like that's kind of what happened with the Jets. I think Douglas would have taken another WR if one they wanted and had rated as the BPA at that point had fallen to them. For instance, if either Higgins or Pittman, Jr. (or both) had fallen to #48, I don't think Douglas would have traded down. I think he would have stayed put and taken one of them.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  16. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think I prefer Wirfs to Becton honestly, but I don't think Wirfs had the same left tackle upside. He's more of a right tackle, maybe really a right guard when all is said and done.

Joe D MVP likes this.
  17. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

that’s the reason why Wirfs was rated the lowest out of the 4...he may end up at guard while the others should stick at tackle (Wirfs May work at tackle)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

@VILMA I'm too chicken to post in my own thread but i think Wirfs will underperform. Strong but too sloppy from what i saw. And Becton may be sloppy but you try pushing around a guy 364. He'll have 100 pounds on many DEs -- over the course of the game that adds up

Love the "large and in charge" comment. I recall JD at some point wanting tough minded and playing individuals thinking if you have enough of those guys you'll eeck out more of those close games or short yardage situations. When I saw the thread the other day (from Maximus-dude?) about JD generally picking larger players i thought that was perfectly consistent with the notion of wearing out the opponent over the course of the game. Of course there are other approaches -- see Chiefs, but it at least signals a team identity which we haven't had in the last 2 GMs

19. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Mac would get way too flustered ....

20. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I think Becton can be a once in a decade tackle IF he puts the works in. When he gets tied in with an NFL gym, trainer and meal plan, it should help him stay around a "lean" 360. Also, we have to remember that this becomes his full time job now vs. when your a broke college student. If he can stay light on his feet, take in coaching from Pollack to clean up some stuff--I think his floor is a solid 10 year tackle.

I would like to think that his floor now would be a RT--so worst case scenario is we can go back to an even deeper LT class next year if need be. RT is crucial as well so not a huge loss there.

I don't see how this ends up being a dumpster fire pick though--he would completely either have to not care about anything and give his career away--too much talent there not to play in this league and he has 3 years experience for a legit program.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.