Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Some very good and nuanced posts on the board now about the value of need v. bpa, and how this isn't nearly as black and white as some people insist on seeing it.

Coming into the draft, imagine you have a stack of receivers, a stack of QB's, a stack of LB's, etc. Of course each prospect gets a total grade. But I assume each stack is given a weighted grade as well, in the form of a multiplier.

For example, the morning of Day 1 your OL stack is weighted 0.9, the WR stack is a 0.85, your DL stack is a 0.55, etc. These multipliers are a team's best effort to make decision-points more digestible at a glance as the draft unfolds.

As soon as the Jets take Becton at 11, the stack multipliers are adjusted. Obviously OL is no longer weighted above WR when we pick again in round 2. OL has dropped (for the moment) to .6. WR has jumped to .9, for example. This means that it's not impossible that the Jets take another OL in round 2, but the OL player would have to be 50% better than the top WR. This is virtually impossible. In fact by round 2, the WR stack weight is so high that it's ALMOST assured we take WR. And this is what happened.

Flash forward to the 4th round. The Jets WR stack is once again weighted relatively heavily because we "need" another WR more than we "need" a a back-up QB. Maybe WR is now .85 and QB is only .75.

When the Jets are on the clock, obviously the WR stack still exists, and it's heavy. But the gap between Morgan and the top WR is simply too big, in the opinion of the Jets, to overcome the relative weight of the WR stack. Morgan is the pick.

I'm not insisting the Jets do all their math before the draft and let a computer make their picks for them. I'm not even saying they definitely apply and adjust stack weights in this way. What I'm saying is that, consciously or not, this is the decision-making process in a nutshell.

Question: Why did the Jets take only one WR?
    Answer: Because only once during the draft did the Jets believe, looking through the widest possible lens, that the player on top of their WR stack gave them the best value.

#61 twown, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    PJ4Ever, chandler, Br4d and 2 others like this.
  2. Jets may have had some intel about Morgan & Pats interest.also think jets got the better end of the trade down.

If you go back over the last 5 drafts or so you will see a pattern of Patriots A.Selecting OL linked to the Jets right before they pick and/or B.Trading picks to teams right in front of the Jets who take OL linked to the jets.

i dont think its a coinicidence.Maybe Joe gave Bill a taste of his own medicine.

Brook!, NYJFOREVER, Br4d and 3 others like this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

let's see how it unfolds. I suspect that there will be yet further additions to WR corps.

Also let's not forget it's a team game. Tom Brady (yeah i know...) had tremendous success lots of years with less-than-star caliber talent on WR. He threw to the guy who was open

Lions had one of the best WR ever and nothing to show for it.

Hopefully Sam spreads the ball around to the backs, TEs and receivers and makes each of them better in a synergistic way.

We neglected offense and skill positions in the draft for so long, but that doesn't mean we're going to fix that in one year

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely will wait to see how it unfolds. Spreading the ball between the WRs, TEs and RBs will definitely help.

It isn't about having one Megatron WR, having perhaps one great WR and 2-3 very good ones.

The team is definitely a work in progress, and it's going to take a couple more offseasons for the team to be in the right shape talent-wise.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I tend to think that the Jets aren't in terrible shape. Outside of WR, they have Bell (if Gase uses him) to catch the ball out of the backfield, if he's healthy Herndon was really good a couple years ago and Griffin even showed that he can do well in a pass catching role as well. I know that Herndon and Griffin aren't anywhere near Gronk and Hernandez, but the Jets at least have two good TEs to employ similar style formations on occasion. Outside of that, we'll have to hope that the Jets can find a diamond in the rough with some UDFAs.

Br4d and NYJetsO12 like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While it would be great to have a couple of All Pro WRs/TEs on the roster, I believe there is much more quality and depth than last year, and that this group provides a lot of versatility that could be put to use. But I'm afraid our "Offensive Genius" will fail to find ways to utilize this variety, just as he did last year. It seems Gase actually DOES need All Pros for his game plans to work. But if he doesn't get something out of this roster this year, his days are numbered.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Perhaps, but most teams don't go over 3-4 deep with quality receivers. Many, perhaps most, only have two quality WRs and then lesser talents. I forget which thread I posted them in, but I listed the WR corps for a number of teams who took 2-3 WRs in the draft. (Baltimore, Philly, Buffalo, Denver, and I forget who else). They mostly only had 2-3 really good WRs and the rest were a bunch of players I had never even heard of. That's why I don't think we're liable to get much, if any, help from cuts between now and the end of TC. I haven't done all teams, so there could still be one team out there where we could get some help, but if you take at those WR corps, you'll understand why I said what I did.

8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Honestly this draft was a HUGE step in becoming a contender. Do we still have needs? Yes.

Obviously we need to keep hitting on receivers until we have a good core. I didn't care for Mims predraft, but I was also comparing him to the others that had a first round/top of second round grade according to analyst. I will happily eat dirt if he becomes good. He has all the "talent" he just needs coaching. Perriman can fill the role left by Anderson, again he needs coaching and the "drive" to succeed. Cager could become a steal very easily. And we all know what we have at slot. Hopefully 2 more step up or we get a vet short term.

That's not the only iffy spot. Cb and edge are both iffy. Hopefully our rookies step in and produce as well as the vet signings. O line is the same.

All that said I think for a first draft I saw A LOT of positives. Including a chance from a real backup QB, the OT with the highest potential, and all around good drafting that stuck to his plan. He has a vision for the team and so far I like it. After next draft we will know more. But I think we will be a lot more competitive this year.

chandler, Br4d, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  9. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

The only thing about our WR group that bothers me is depth. With an improved running game and pass blocking (plus Darnolds ability to extend a play) the receivers we have will be able to get open.

What scares me is how things look if Perriman or Crowder are forced to miss any amount of time with injury.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Br4d and All Gas No Shake like this.
  10. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

The jets have the worst WR core in the entire NFL. The only team that is close is the Raiders but I’m giving the Jets the bottom because Ruggs has a better change to be better then Mime.

You keep forgetting, Mims was the 12th WR off the board. 12 other teams added prospects potentially better then Mims to their WR room that was already WAY better then the Jets.

The plan shouldn’t have have been to use a rookie to replace Robbie Anderson, they should have added to him.

11. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

i can't understand why he had? to take 2 wrs.
    wasn't robby anderson a 7th round or undrafted wr?
    are there not other undrafted wrs out there?
    he can always check out xfl, cfl, and salary cap cuts for more wr.
    the hoodie goes dumpster diving in summer every season and his super bowl record seems better.
    brady was had in the late 6th round with a compensatory pick.
    who says you can't find a wr late?

let's not panic in the first year of repairing a decade of drafting disasters even in round one.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Very wrong use of the word “behooves”

makes absolutely no sense. I assume you wanted to sound smart, and thought you knew what the word meant, but failed and unfortunately from that point on I could not take the post seriously

sorry no hard feelings

you are a top notch poster with great views

13. nevbeats319

You kidding me right. Your really going to use Tom Brady as a example. He was a lottery ticket

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The team , the Jets is more of a contender right now ..after this brilliant draft by the new GM...the JD of Baltimore and Philly Champ teams. Ask yourself, what track record did Mac/Idzik/Bowles have>>zero. So just going by Douglas's resume imo:

I am seeing a team with a good bunch of WRs TE an All Pro RB Safety and LB (mosely). SD is our QB and set to have a great year with big protection in front of him. The team has an insurance QB and a kid that punts the ball a mile...in short I predict 3/4 of this draft pans out for us

What if the "unthinkable" happens and everyone stays healthy? Tell me we cant win plenty of games ??

Ill get my whining over now and join in the chorus of JD is bad for not getting that extra WR

My prediction is there will be more pleasant surprises before September 2020

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. nevbeats319

they have the worst set of skill positions in the league. Every nfl fan is saying the same thing you are saying right now after the draft.

did he fix the o line. Yes for sure

16. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

I think it really all comes down to the fact that it doesn't matter who we have at receiver if Darnold can't stay upright and throw the ball and we can't establish a solid ground game without good blocking. I think Douglas has an eye on who we have catching the ball right now, and decided that going all in on protection was the key. We lost Anderson but we added Perriman, Mims and Doctson. We're going to have two TEs who can catch the ball with Herndon and Griffin this year. All things considered our receiving corps has more overall speed and potential than any we've had in years, along with the upgraded line. I don't think we should underestimate the potential improvement we'll see out of Bell this year either. The first thing that occurred to me when we drafted Becton was how Bell would look darting around the guy he pancakes.

Ultimately we'll never know how things could have turned out differently if we had taken a receiver first, but at least we are having a discussion about which offensive players we drafted instead of another DT.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Joe D and the Jets really weren't interested in adding guys without speed. They took the fastest most athletic guys they could get on each pick. That will significantly improve the roster if they do that over time, draft after draft.

The Ravens always have the best athletes on the field and that's a good place to work from.

18. NCJetsfan

Sorry, I disagree. I was in favor of solidifying the OL and of taking Becton. Taking Becton didn't prevent Douglas from taking another WR. I didn't say anything about taking a WR in the 1st round instead of Becton. If it had been a priority for Douglas, he could have taken two OL (as he did) and taken two WRs, and with his trade downs, he still would have what, 8 picks to address other needs.

19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

You put some thinking into this. Very logical points. Nice job.

20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Ravens always reload too. That would great if the Jets can duplicate that model. Why dies it feel like Douglas was light years ahead of what Maccagnan was doing?

#80 boozer32, Apr 28, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.