Lawrence Cager

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrianBleedsGreen59, Apr 27, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mims is already much better than Anderson. I don't think there's much, if anything, that Mims could have learned from Anderson.

Joe D MVP and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Anderson is a crappy route runner with a lot of bad habits. Not to say he doesn't have skills that made him about as productive as half of NFL starting WR, mainly speed and catch radius. We would be much better off bringing in a decaying vet who was a pristine route runner, blocker who knows how to use he's body to set up a defender to help these young guys get up to speed. I suspect that's exactly what we are going to do.

Robbie would have been nice to keep for a reasonable price. He's certainly not a guy I want Mims to mold his game after.

3. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Thanks Biggs and the bolded goes to the heart of what my concern is, I don’t believe Robbie could teach Mims how to be like him, and I would not want that, however he could teach Mims what defenders or CBs would do to him based on what they see or when the play specific packages.

To be on the field and be able to translate that knowledge to a rookie is priceless wisdom that takes time off the learning curve of any rookie.

4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Georgia's biggest weakness last year was the passing game outside the numbers and their receivers in general. If this player was as hyped, he would've gotten drafted.

There's always a player or two that every team signs that excites the fan base. I just don't think Cager is anywhere fast enough to be an NFL receiver - agreed on that.

Red Menace likes this.
  5. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

Anderson was a project in his own rite. He was just cracking the ice on running the whole route tree. I watched Mims video & he looks to be as good as Robb in running routes. Mims has a lot to grow where as Robby has leveled off after his 4 years in the league. I'll take Mims in a heartbeat over Robby.

6. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Cager, with the right coaching from Jefferson and Hines Ward can be good!

Cliv Clav likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I wanted to keep Anderson solely because I thought we'd do a shitty job in trying to replace him while also trying to patch the offensive line. I'm glad I was wrong on both fronts. He's Devery Henderson at best.

Mims has a long way to go but he doesn't look like he's going to snap in half if the wind blows a mile per hour over 20.

8. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

While I do not disagree with you I truly believe that George Campbell has just as good of a chance and most people are just Cager, Cager, Cager without giving him a second thought.
    I think Campbell is actually starting with a slight leg up having played on all Special Teams units last year.
    Both red shirt seniors last year for teams with similar passing numbers, they put up almost the same amount of receiving yards with Campbell doing it on 40% less receptions and 75% more touchdowns.
    Both have had their injury troubles and were highly touted prospects out of HS.

We get extremely lucky if both show promise, but I feel good that one of them will stick - just not sure it is Cager.

#28 Section 336, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
    Red Menace, Mogriffjr and NCJetsfan like this.
  9. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I'll bet Matt Ruele would take Mims over Robby any day of the week.

10. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I'll bet Matt Ruele would take Mims over Robby any day of the week.

11. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Cager was a legit player in college and I think he can be a useful red zone threat for us...He uses his size really well and isn’t a complete stiff out there as he has some athleticism

I don’t think he’ll be much more than that atleast at first...but he can be a dangerous weapon if used right

12. BrianBleedsGreen59

BrianBleedsGreen59 New Member

Jefferson will turn Cager into a 2

13. BrianBleedsGreen59

Joe wasn't going to match 12 million guaranteed for Robbie he wasn't worth it, we have plenty of weapons CAN'T WAIT !!

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

This is a big point here that some aren't mentioning. Cager is going to HAVE to ball out because he really hasn't sniffed snaps as a ST guy. So his chances of making the roster are very low. Campbell was a highly rated prospect coming out but injuries just have been killing his stock as a player. He's surely athletic enough to make a roster but he's so raw...most likely both or one of them will make the PS (which has expanded IIRC)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. BrianBleedsGreen59

You guys are probably right being a bulldog fan for so long makes me partial. Hope we can keep Jenkins another former Dawg. The Dawgs are like my beloved Jets, 1 championship and lots of heartbreak. I hope Tua doesn't eat our lunch twice a year like he did to my team in college.

16. BamaDoc

BamaDoc Active Member

Perriman is a legit deep threat as Mimms should be. If they both go deep, defensively you have issues. If you are not in a two deep safety set, one of them is one on one. If you are in two deep, Herndon, Crowder, and Bell should have opportunities underneath all day. Also opens up run game. Could work.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.