Way too Early Best Positional Battles in Training Camp

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LAJet, Apr 27, 2020.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

This might not merit his own thread but I figure we had enough angst about the draft, now we can start focusing, dreaming or worrying about this year’s best training camp battles that will be absolutely fun to watch.
    Top four positional battles I’m much looking forward to see develop:
    1-OL - can’t wait, long term coming.The Fight on the trenches where beef on the D goes head on against mammoth beef on the O will have real meaning this year.
    2- WR - everyone’s biggest concern. Could we have some gems in UDFA
    3- CB - Do we have a #1 and a #2 to combat the passing attack
    4- RB. Targets for the eventual changing of the guard and this year one two punch with Bell
    Any thoughts?

Brook!, NCJetsfan and Jonathan_Vilma like this.
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

OL is the most interesting battle, particularly with the incoming rookies and also to determine if Fant is actually serviceable full-time. I'm not at all worried about CB, I think we've drafted (and UDFA'd) well in quantity and quality and I'm sure we'll find at least two that work well as a tandem. I don't really see WR or RB as competitions - Bell's salary dictates that he is the premier back and the rookie will just take a Powell/Montgomery role. The WR corps is slim pickings - I would have liked to see some more WR come through the door, even as UDFAs, to take some pressure off Mims, who has high 'boom-or-bust' potential.

As a sad, old special teams enthusiast, I'm interested in the P (two competent punters) and K (no competent kickers) battle.

Brook! likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I definitely am looking forward to TC and think there will be some intense competition among the OL, CB, and RB that you mention. I don't think there will be much, if any, competition at WR. There just isn't enough talent there. Crowder will be the slot WR. Mims will be penciled in as the #1 WR and Perriman as the #2. Doctson will probably be given an opportunity to compete for the #1 or #2 spots, but I'm not expecting much competition from him. Assuming that Berrios and Bellamy stay, I think Doctson, Smith, Cager, and Campbell will probably compete for one, maybe two roster spots. I don't see Jehu Chesson, Josh Malone, Jeff Smith, or Keon Hatcher to put up much of a fight, except maybe for a PS spot. I think Enunwa should retire or be forced to retire.

I actually think that the most intense competition in TC will be at the ILB position where we have 8 players competing for 3-4 spots (Mosely has his spot nailed down). If Avery Williamson is still here, I expect an intense battle between he and Patrick Onwuasor for the starting spot. Cashman & Bello will compete for a spot, and Burgess and Hewitt will compete for a spot, and only one of those 4 may make the team. I think the Jets will keep at least 4, maybe 5 ILBs, but I don't see 6.

I'm also very curious to see the OLB/Edge competition. I'm really interested to see what Huff and Zuniga can do. Jenkins has the LOLB spot nailed down. Luvu probably has the inside track on the backup spot there. I doubt that Ray or Langi will put up that much of a fight. I think the ROLB competition could get pretty intense, however. Zuniga, Huff, Tarrell Basham, Ahmad Gooden, and Charles Tapper are all competing for probably 2, maybe 3 spots. I don't expect much from Gooden or Tapper, but the battle between Zuniga, Huff and Basham could be pretty good.

The DL competition could get pretty interesting too. There are a lot of players there, mostly young. At LDE there is Q. Williams, Kyle Phillips, Jordan Willis and Bronson Kaufusi. At RDE there is Henry Anderson, Nathan Shepher, John Franklin Myers, Corbin Kaufusi, and Domenique Davis. Phillips, Willis, Franklin Myers,and the Kaufusi brothers could be in a good battle for on only 2-3 spots. It should be interesting at NT as well to see if Folorunso Fatukasi can push Steve McLendon, and if Sterling Johnson could give either of them any competition.

At CB I'm hoping that Bless Austin can step up his game, but am hoping that Austin, Bryce Hall and Quincy Wilson will have a very intense competition for the #2 CB spot. Lamar Jackson could possibly get in that mix, but I expect he, Brown, Maulet, and Guidry will be competing for the final two spots (assuming we keep 6 CBs) and for spots on the PS.

twown and Brook! like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks NC.good stuff. Never gave ILB a thought but you are right on. As for WR,Concord seems Also right in line with your thinking. Three spots locked, the rest will compete for what 2 slots ? I’m wondering how many WR we will carry this year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

7 maybe a real possibility, especially with the extra roster spots.

I think the OL won't necessarily be a tough competition. Maybe for the RT spot between Edoga and Fant but I really expect Fant to start at RT. At G, Van Roten and Winters may lock it up, but I feel the edge will go to Van Roten.

ILB will be a tough battle. Mosely will start but who will start alongside him? Onwasor played his best alongside CJ. Williamson was a damn good LB but who knows how his knee will be.

I really feel the best competition will be at the CB spot.

Desir is expected to be the #1 guy but I know that he's been in these battles before with almost the same group of CB's aka Hairston and Wilson. Hairston beat him out before a few years ago. He's also been in the system longer than Desir has. Desir has to show he's healthy. Then you have Bless who came on strong until the last few games of the season. What is his status? You have Wilson who is also coming off an injury but he was pretty good his rookie and 2nd years in the league. Arthur Maulet is also back so he has experience here. Then Bryce Hall who was a highly touted prospect before he broke his ankle, who I feel has a legit chance to start here as well. It's a solid if unspectacular group but one I feel is better than last year's group.

LAJet likes this.
  6. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I’m really looking forward to the UDFA and CB position battles we’ll have. The Jets have their X, Z, and slot receivers filled in, but after that it’s wide open.

The Jets don’t have locks at CB on the outside. I’m going to imagine Desir is one of the guys, but who takes the other side?

LT is going to be Becton, while C is going to be McGovern. Both OG spots and RT are open.

Mogriffjr likes this.