Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I thought they should have taken a TE also either in the draft or as a UDFA. But they must be happy with Herndon recovery and Griffin.

2. boozer32

The receiver they got as a UDFA Cager might make the roster. Got good size and could do some damage in the red zone.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. boozer32

I like the draft. Finally some offensive pieces in the early rounds. It was a win on Day ONE. Nobody hits on all picks but they got some guys that can come in and compete that is all you can asked for. Next year he can fine tune the roster but they needed some young talent right now.

K'OB, Br4d, NYJetsO12 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Don’t forget about Daniel Brown. He has shown he can be solid and has the gase bears connection. Next year draft a TE perhaps?

NCJetsfan and boozer32 like this.
  5. boozer32

No gurantee that a WR in the fourth would have been playing either. Morgan is good insurance and we can almost bet he is better than Fales right now. We got some young WR to work with maybe Cager makes the roster.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. boozer32

I didn't see him on the roster but he played good last year as did Griffin but both got hurt. Griffin was Darnold favorite TD machine. Oh and we still have Westco

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't understand why. Herndon's injury was a fracture rib, and before that he had a tight hamstring. Those are not lasting injuries. He looked great in 2018, his rookie season. Ryan Griffin is good, and they have Wesco and Brown. I don't see TE as a big need at all. Could the #3 TE have been upgraded? Sure, but when you have holes at starting and immediate backup positions elsewhere, you don't worry about 3rd or 4th string depth.

#47 NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2020
    K'OB, boozer32 and Biggs like this.
  8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

No doubt. I liked Cager at UGA. Stepped up in the biggest games.

boozer32 likes this.
  9. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

he was signed to a one year deal. Wesco as well but he’s a big ?

10. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Forgive me for upsetting some of you but I think JD most strategic pick was indeed selecting the back up QB with the 4th.
    For 5 reasons
    A) NE was ready to jump on him, meaning the potential is there for the type of cold weather QB you want. NE would then develop him for a couple of years for the starting role and we will forever bitch we let such a good candidate with a cannon arm and brains escape. If reversed many here would be kissing BB brilliance as how to find a QB. Which is exactly what we would have done with our predecessors, selecting a player fighting for a roster spot instead of filling the much needed back up QB position.
    B) We desperately needed to find a suitable back up QB and potentially a long term starter.No more 40 year old vet.
    C) We preempted a division opponent from taking a critical asset in a position of need
    D) in all likelihood, there was not a WR our leadership saw as a more immediate contributor
    E) If it ruined BB plan it was worth 2 times that and then some
    We are sending a subliminal message to the league that we have a GM they need to worry about

11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

So we'll be paying morgan up to 2.9 million over the next 4 years. If he becomes the back up that the team wants him to be. This is a great saving compared to what some back ups get paid.

Hey, even if he leaves as a FA in 4 years time, we may even get comp picks, like the ravens did when tyrod left.

Its a multi year process and we have started this year with the most expensive and vital positions in the NFL.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

12. NCJetsfan

I"m not upset or angry, just think it probably was a mistake. For certain, it's not what I would have done. I think some people are carrying it too far and blowing it out of proportion a little. To answer your question, no, I don't think that a vet addition would help Sam more than another good young WR. I don't think that any team is going to release their #1 or #2 WR. At best, it's going to be their #3 or #4 WR, and more likely will be their #5 or #6 WR. Thus, it will either be some young kid who isn't that talented, or it's going to be an older JAG. I guess it's possible than older player who is pretty good, but has a high cap figure, could be dropped in a cost-cutting move, but I don't think that is likely at this point.

Now, I will admit that we aren't professional scouts and maybe the Jets didn't like Bryan Edwards, AGG, Devin Duvernay, or Collin Johnson as much as some of us did, but I think those receivers would have helped Sam more than a veteran who is released. For a veteran to help more, he'd have to have been an elite WR who played a long time, was a star, and maybe won some championships. Sam has played two years. He already knows the speed of the NFL, and the Jets have had good veteran WRs around like Jefferson and Hines Ward to help Sam. What Sam needs is very good, tall WRs who give him the optimal target/windows to complete passes.

13. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m rooting hard for him to be a contributor. We might even get a vet on a short contract if needed.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NCJetsfan

No Rome wasn't built in a day, but the #1 priority for this offseason should have been protecting and insuring that Sam is surrounded with weapons so he can develop. Everyone knew that Douglas was not going to be able to fill all the holes this offseason. It looks like he placed a higher priority on filling as many holes as possible rather than insuring that Sam develops. Zuniga, Hall, Davis and Wilson may very well make the defense and overall team a lot better, they're not going to help Sam.

IMO the defense was good enough last season for the Jets to be a playoff team. It was the offense that was abysmal. While it wasn't realistic to think that Douglas would use every pick on offense, I thought for certain that he'd double dip at both OL and WR, and I thought he'd add a HR threat at RB in the form of a gadget-type player. Normally the latter is one of the last things a team adds, but to help a young QB develop and excel, it becomes more of an urgent priority. IMO two WRs should have been taken, and not 4 defensive players (Zuniga, Hall, and Davis, and then traded the last 6th round pick for Wilson). Douglas could have signed Logan Ryan to help improve the CB corps this season, still drafted Davis, taken Bryan Edwards with the other 3rd round pick, and then drafted an Edge in the 4th or 5th round, still taken a QB, and still traded for Wilson.

It is what it is, however, and we just have to hope for the best that things will work out. As I've said in other posts, I still love Douglas. If it proves to be a mistake, it's a mistake, and an honest one. He is in a hard spot with so many holes to fill. I'm not killing him for this. I don't think it hurts to discuss this however. Even with his knowing a lot more than us and we're just fans on the internet, it doesn't mean that he's right and we're wrong. I'm hoping that he is right, and am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and choose to think that he did the right thing until he is proven wrong.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with taking a developmental QB. If the guy is a solid backup for years, has good habits and gets along with Sam and they develop a good study and work relationship it's all good. If he pushes Sam, gets a few starts where he shines but ultimately isn't good enough to unseat him he might get us a valuable pick down the road in trade.

I hate the idea that BB might already be in the head of our GM. I don't believe he is. We have traded with him and they seem to have a good but competitive relationship. The reason to take him is not that the Pats wanted him but that we had the right grade on him and both the Pats and the Jets had him as a good value when we picked.

Preempting a divisional rival if it's not going to improve our football team is nuts. I hope Douglas liked the value and thought he improved the team in the context of a full team roster more than anyone else on the board.

Like everything else this past weekend TBD... We all have to stop shitting in our pants about what BB is going to do or is doing. The world passes everyone by. The league is changing, the game is changing the next great GM and HC will change...

Br4d, Dierking, LAJet and 1 other person like this.
  16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Good post. You might also consider they didn't draft another WR because they felt we had adequate weapons and flexibility to run multiple TE, multiple WR and even put Wesco at fullback or H-Back. I suspect we will add another WR before the season.

I could see us go big and use Wesco as a fullback and knock the snot out people at the LOS. With a big possession WR in Mims and a guy with breakaway speed in Perriman plus a good slot receiver and an OL that can move defenders opens up a lot of things on O.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Taking Morgan was more important than taking the Safety or the Edge or the RB. We needed a competent backup, and insurance for the future and the 4th round is often where you find such QBs. Add to that Bellichick was rumored to want him, JD had to take him there. Yes, he's got things to learn, but frankly I think he's a better prospect than Josh Allen. Again, he possesses two things that you can't coach: a strong arm and intelligence.

As for more WRs, I too wanted at least one more quality guy, but by the 4th round those were about done. AGG does not impress me. While I preferred that Douglas stay at 48 and then take Claypool, dropping back a few spots and getting Mims plus another good pick was the better move. I also think some of the receivers he got as UDFAs have real potential, and then there's still FAs plus camp/cap cuts to sort through. The receiving corps is miles better than last year.

In fact, the whole roster is, which is what we wanted from Douglas. After almost two decades of our GMs/HCs seeming to throw darts at the wall, or blindly taking BPA no matter whether he fills a need, this is SO refreshing! This is what a GM with blueprint looks like.

Br4d, NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Douglas is building for the future. I like the Mims pick, and I'm okay with only taking Mims if he has a plan in place, which is seems like he does. I'm not TOO concerned with it. I would have liked Proche late in the 6th.

In Joe D We Trust.

19. NCJetsfan

Mims isn't a possession WR. He had 4.37 or 4.39 speed. If Becton and Edoga wind up as the starting OTs, Fant could be used as a TE as well.

I have said in several posts that Douglas could be confident in the group of WRs he has. He could see Mims as the the #1, Perriman as the #2, Crowder as the slot, and think Doctson and Smith have good potential, and along with our TEs and RBs, that could be enough. That's the main reason I'm taking a wait and see approach with the WR corps and see how things shake out.

LAJet likes this.
  20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

seems unfair argument to say the vet should be a #1 or #2 to help Sam, but if it's a rookie in the middle rounds it could be anyone in the middle rounds.

the point I'm trying to make is that once you're talking WR and the middle rounds there are probably more misses than hits and some misses are bad. I'm not saying you don't pick there but we need to calibrate expectations. On the other hand in the short term you can get a vet on a short deal where at least you know what you're getting and you know he knows the game and can contribute at least in being predictable.

This is a process. We can use a pick in day 1 or day 2 next year. and of course possibly middle rounds depending on the way the board falls and on value.

Br4d, NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.