2020 Undrafted FA Thread for Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Apr 25, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, but neither is any good.

tomdeb likes this.
  2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Who’s available that’s better? Did Zuerlein or Gostkowski sign?

3. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

What I expected from that Macagnan comment was that he would be savvy in building an offensive line with a combination of late picks, trades, cuts, etc.. There are teams that have done that. But at some point you have to realize the urgency of the situation. The approach didn’t seem to be working at all, but he still acted like business as usual acquiring one or two plays ont he offensive line per year. I remember he was asked directly why he picked Nathan Shepard after Darnold when they needed offensive line. He made this whole thing about he didn’t find anyone he liked wouldn’t force the pick at OL. He came from the Texans org that prior to acquiring Tunsil had TERRIBLE offensive lines. It’s good that Joe D comes from the Ravens and Eagles orgs which emphasize building in the trenches. It’s way too early to tell but this could be my favorite draft class.

4. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

He looks pretty got good size

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Go watch some film on Huff. He is active and quick.

6. NCJetsfan

Just looked it up on Spotrac. Looks like Gostkowski or Nick Folk are the best options. I have no idea how much they would want and if Douglas has interest in either. We may have to hope that one of the two we have can get the job done.

The 4 remaining FA Ks according to Spotrac are as follows:

Stephen Gostkowski (36) He made 7 of 8 FGs, but made only 11 of 15 extra points

Ryan Succop (33) He made 1 of 6 FGs, but made 24 of 25 extra points

Adam Viniateri (47) He made 17 of 25 FGs, and made only 22 of 28 extra points

Nick Folk (35) He made 14 of 17 FGs, and made 12 of 12 extra points

7. Cliv Clav

Cliv Clav Active Member

Nice WR UDFA pick-ups in Lawrence Cager and George Campbell. Both look under used in college and both should be red zone targets at 6’5 & 6’4. I know they have a lot to do to make the roster but we needed some height on the receiving corps. Obviously, Mims at 6’3 also helps there. Perriman and Doctson both at 6’2 help too. Height is crucial in the red zone and helps Sam out in giving him high targets to score TDs rather than trying to fit the ball into small windows in coverage. Height has been seriously lacking in our receivers since the Marshall/Decker era. Good job at fixing that Joe!

ColoradoContrails and K'OB like this.
  8. footballfundamentals

footballfundamentals Well-Known Member

I did not look through the thread. Ex jets player Scott Frost is the Nebraska head coach and is an alumn of U of Nebraska.

9. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

10. Cliv Clav

Cliv Clav Active Member

His Pro Day replacement is on YouTube. After the official one was cancelled due to the pandemic, he made a video so that people could see his workout. I can't post links yet, but it's called George Campbell Pro Day Workout on YouTube.

themorey and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Look at who his mentor was and it will tell you all you need to know....Charlie Casserly.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Copy the youtube weblink and then on here click the box media two to the right of the smiley face and then paste it in the box that comes up and that is it my friend.

Cliv Clav and themorey like this.
  13. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

I think Campbell has a better chance of sticking than Cager given his speed and ST ability. But the routes in that video were pretty sloppy so his trajectory is probably similar to Robby's first year...go deep son and either pull the safety or score a TD. Hopefully he can stay healthy and make some improvements because the physical abilities are there.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

I'm glad that you commented on his route running. That's something I've never paid that much attention to, instead focusing on hands, highpointing the ball, speed, smoothness, elusiveness, ability for YAC, height, leaping ability, and ability in contested catches. His route running did look sloppy to me. It looked like he was rounding them off, and having to gear down considerably to make cuts. Is that accurate?

15. K'OB

That was my view but I never like to say out loud lol never confident enough with slating route running tbh but I did think it was sloppy looking and not sure what all that feet shuffling was about before he changed direction? Seemed odd to me.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

And those 3 OL all sucked on top of it .....

To be fair I don’t think Mac intentionally ignored the OL - he was focused on the QB position - but yes he did make those comments. Going forward that probably has a big reason he isn’t in another NFL front office a year later....

17. NCJetsfan

I think he truly was an adherent of that philosophy. Some teams have been able to build very good OLs with that philosophy. I embraced it for a while, so didn't have a problem with Mac making that statement initially. He was obsessive about it, however. I think he honestly thought that the OL he picked and those we had were good enough, the OL Coach and the OC just weren't doing good jobs training the OL and devising a scheme where they would work. I think he truly doesn't have an eye for talent or understand some of the most basic aspects of the game. I'm wondering how in the world he ever got hired in the first place or how he kept his job with the Texans, much less ever got serious consideration (or hired by the Jets) for a GM job.

nycarl, tomdeb and mrjet80 like this.
  18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yep I’ve posted the same opinion. The Johnsons hired him from the Texans as if he was God’s gift for scouting NFL players ( on the advice of Casserly ) - the man was in way over his head. He could handle contracts, trades, etc. but should not be anywhere near a draft room.

19. K'OB

The only thing it seems he could handle well was a coffee cup and lots of them.

20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Funny thing is Casserly was the Texans GM when David Carr took a beating behind a bad OL. If I'm reading this list right, Casserly took one OL before round 3. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/htx/draft.htm

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.