Why Didn't Douglas Take Another WR in the Draft?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 27, 2020.

1. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

I have similar feelings about how unlikely it is that Morgan will contribute in 2020. However, how do you know that Morgan would have been available later? He was linked before the draft to the Pats, who have made a cottage industry of drafting quarterbacks, developing them, and then trading them for better draft picks than the ones used to get the players. I would have liked Davis or Gandy at some point, but they wouldn't have solved your good "extremely unproven" point. On the other hand, signing a cut veteran in the coming months would.

2. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

While initially disappointed they didnt take a second WR, I think their receiving corp is much improved and certainly much deeper than last year. With a better OL Sam will have more time to push the ball downfield. Last year the starting corp was Enunwa, Robby and Crowder and alot of question marks after that. When Enunwa went down (as anyone could have predicted) it was a patchwork all year.

This year it will be Crowder (a very good slot WR who had 833 yds and 6td's in 2019), Perriman (reasonable to expect he can at least duplicate his 645yds and 6td's from last year with only 4 starts) and now Mims who the more game tape I watch the better I like him. Mims will get every opportunity to win a starting job and if he does I can see 600 yards and 5 TD's from him easy.

We have improved WR speed, toughness and blocking already. If Enunwa or Docson or Vyncent Smith (who contributed in the last few games last year) can give you anything thats an improvement from what they had.

Brook!, FJF, nycarl and 7 others like this.
  3. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

I think Douglas realizes this, but he felt addressing the offensive line was much more of a priority than WR. I genuinely believe that WR will be addressed.

Mims, Perriman, and Crowder are a mediocre group of WRs for sure, but Herndon and Griffin form a solid TE duo and LeVeon Bell is still a top tier RB even though his performance last year didn't match it.

I was screaming for CeeDee Lamb on Thursday night, but boy am I excited to watch our shiny new LT maul people.

BrickcityJet, Br4d, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  4. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

A Dominant LT > An Elite Receiver.

FJF, Footballgod214, tubby and 4 others like this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Btw I saw some advocating AGG and I’m a HUGE fan of AGG but he fell because he lacked the speed on the outside. Cager seems to be a similar mold, a big bodied WR except he battled injuries. Both are 50/50 type guys though.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

We all hope he doesnt.... but given the dumpster fire that was the JETS "offense" without Sam last year showed they had to do SOMETHING......

Brook!, FJF, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, in general, one lets the board come to them, but when teams have a need, GMs move up and/or down to get a player they like and at as good a value as they can. With as many good WRs were in this class, I do not believe that Douglas couldn't have found a BPA somewhere if it was a big enough priority for him. Now finding a team to trade with could have been an issue, but as many trades as there were, I doubt that would have been an issue. Obviously, it just wasn't a big priority for Douglas with all the other holes we had. He feels confident in who we have. Hopefully, he's right, but if not, he deserves criticism.

JetsNation06 and Red Menace like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

It might have been a mistake, but you can't definitively say that it was a mistake yet, especially when you don't know all the details or what the Jets' draft chart looked like.

9. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

I have a strong feeling we were hoping for Robert Proche with pick 211. Baltimore snatched him up at 201, so instead of dealing a future 6th for Quincy Wilson we traded a bottom of the barrel 6th(211).

As far as the Morgan pick none of the WRs selected in the 4th-5th round had any appeal to me other than AGG. Can’t be too upset about it, it looks like most people overvalued AGG myself included. NFL gms really don’t seem to think much of him. No where nearly as much as the general public at least.

I don’t think Morgan would have lasted until our pick in the 5th, if he did that would mean passing on Bryce Hall. I’m good with how things worked out.

10. NCJetsfan

Good post. The fact that some people obviously don't understand, or they forget, is that you don't draft players just for one season, their rookie season. The poster you were responding to must be one of them. Players who are drafted in the middle and lower rounds, are drafted for depth, and with an eye to the future. If they develop into starters or can contribute their rookie, great. It's gravy, but the expectation is mostly that they're being drafted for future contributions, especially when one drafts a QB that low. When you only draft for the upcoming season, you make mistakes and you wind up with inferior talent. Hopefully, Morgan will never see the field this year, and probably shouldn't under any circumstances. I think Douglas needs to sign a veteran to backup Sam. The thing is that next year or 2022, Sam could go down with an injury for a few games, and if Morgan has developed into a quality backup, he could save the season.

dmw likes this.
  11. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Posted this somewhere else but here it is again for all the doubters. Gardner Minshew a 6th round pick, went into the season as the Jags #2QB and had a 6-6 record when called into duty. Who is anyone to say Morgan couldn’t come in and win some games for us. I believe he will be the backup QB this season.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

He was quite the surprise package tbh, he set off well but came a bit unstuck late on but even so it was a promising start for a young QB.

13. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

He did well at the end of the year also when he got his starting job back.

K'OB likes this.
  14. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

You have to look at a draft as a whole--

Most of our picks were good values. Our first 3 were all solid IMO.

The only pick I questioned is Zuniga--I think there were safer options at that spot.

If the coaches and front office were all in on Morgan, you roll the dice in the later rounds. IF he becomes a halfway decent QB you can get a team to overpay for him later with premium picks OR you have a solid backup. This is what the best teams do.

Brisset, Osweiler, Schaub, Mallet, Glennon all these guys were able to garner more than what they were worth by showing "potential"

If Morgan starts lighting it up in the next preseason or two and does well in relief of Sam--we have tons of options.

1)Trade him for premium picks
    2) Retain for entire contract as good backup and then tag and trade
    3) If Sam busts, you have an immediate potential option

The difference is you don't waste 2nds on marginal QB potential (Hack, Geno, Clemens)

15. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

At this point every indication since he has been here screams that Douglas knows what the hell he is doing.
    With that being said I don’t think there is anyone on this board that can rival his credentials, therefore I will trust that if JD saw the need to draft Morgan over any available WR he had a very good reason for it.

It is not like he ignored WR in FA before the draft, in the draft or in UDFA afterward.

Between 2012 and 2018 we drafted 12 WRs including 2 second rounders and all we have to show for it is Enunwa who can’t even stay on the field. It takes more than just drafting WRs, they need to be the right ones and I finally believe we have a GM that can determine that. The kid Campbell from WVU could very well turn out better than any taken after where we took Morgan.

nycarl, Br4d, NYJetsO12 and 3 others like this.
  16. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Couple of reactions

1) generally i don't care what the internet experts say. maybe joe didn't think the class was as great as the internet experts thought. Internet experts have (erroneously) declared more can't-miss WR prospects than probably any other position. It's a risky position to draft and we saw better value elsewhere
    2) it wasn't that long back when supposedly there was another stacked class and we took Ardarius Stewart in the 3d and I-can't-even-remember-his name in the 4th. How did that turn out?
    3) there will be other options for this year, camp cuts etc.
    4) i'm about 10x more concerned whether Herndon will come back and contribute or whether Griffin will repeat what he gave last year. We will probably get way more production from them than we would from a mid- to late-round WR pick (of course we could've gotten lucky and picked another enunwa or robby late -- but statistically speaking unlikely)
    5) Rome was not build in a day!

Brook!, nycarl, Br4d and 3 others like this.
  17. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Because he's filling out a lot of holes in the team in a multi-year process and isn't expecting to compete in 2020-21

18. NCJetsfan

I get that. He obviously is confident in the receivers the Jets have, didn't particularly like the other WRs, or has plans to sign a veteran released between now and the end of TC. We definitely had a lot of holes, but imo, it may very well have been a big mistake to worry about other holes, and not do everything he could to make things easier for Sam and help him develop into a FQB. If this group of WRs winds up being a dud and Sam doesn't develop, at least a part of this will rest on Douglas' head. He wasn't going to be able to fill all the holes this year anyway. I think he got a little too eager to fill holes, and didn't think as much about the priority of making sure that Sam develops.

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Eh, we took the wrong WR's that year. Stewart and Hansen instead of Godwin or Golladay. :mad::mad::mad::mad:

20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

But couldn't you argue that Sam benefits better with vet additions who know the game, its speed etc. When you're picking in the later rounds you have to bank on the idea that it will take time (maybe years) to develop that guy into a contributor

this is being blown way out of proportion