Lawrence Cager

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrianBleedsGreen59, Apr 27, 2020.

1. BrianBleedsGreen59

BrianBleedsGreen59 New Member

I'm a Georgia Bulldog fan lived in Atlanta for 20 years and even though Cager was with us for a short time he is great! Big and cagey no pun intended, he will be our #2 receiver behind Mims.

Brook!, King Koopa, BudJet and 2 others like this.
  2. BrianBleedsGreen59

Cager and Mims are both huge red zone targets easy peasy for Sam.

BudJet likes this.
  3. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Big statement for an udfa

rohirrim665 likes this.
  4. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Listen, I said Cager was a great pickup and will likely make the roster, but he will not be our #2 receiver lol

I think he has a great chance making the roster and playing in some games, but a #2? Not a chance. He has 2 guys ahead of him that have NFL experience and have produced in the league. Perriman is coming off an amazing end to a season with the Bucs and Crowder, who is a very good receiver

IIMeanDeanII and NYJalltheway like this.
  5. themorey

themorey Well-Known Member

It could happen...look to Robby Anderson as exhibit A. It doesn't mean it will, but just like Robby brought blazing speed, Cager brings a gigantic frame. Players with unique skills or skillsets are usually the ones who succeed.

ColoradoContrails and egelband like this.
  6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

One of my friends lives in Atlanta, married into a UGA family, and sent me a text yesterday basically saying the same thing.

Said he's been watching Cager for the last couple of years and thinks he's gonna be a good player in the NFL. Said we have gotten ourselves a steal.

I think I'm somewhere in the middle, after seeing some highlights and such, I think Cager has a good shot at earning a roster spot. I'm not quite sold on #2 WR yet but even if he gives minimal production this year, that's a plus from a UDFA.

7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If he can put on 20 to 30 pounds he might be able to play TE at the NFL level. The guy doesn't get separation, doesn't run good routes and has made a living winning jump balls on smaller CB's. He's also missed a ton of games with injury. Great hands and can win jump balls against smaller CB's. He needs a lot of work to stick at the next level. If he has a great work ethic I can see him on the practice squad and making the roster at some point. I would be surprised if he makes the roster on opening day.

Brook!, Jonathan_Vilma and Mogriffjr like this.
  8. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Right now Crowder is the Jets best receiver. Perriman has not been productive but for a small window in the NFL under Bruce Arians who is a much better offensive coordinator than Adam Gase.

If Jets had retained Robbie, Crowder and drafted Mims and signed Cager I would have been ecstatic about the WR going into the season.

Going into the season with Crowder, Perriman, Mims, possibly Cager and Herndon is still something that should concern Jet fans.

nevbeats319 and JetBlue like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I disagree, Red. Perriman has had a small sample size of success, but it was his most recent play. He is more talented than Anderson, a better route runner, and it is my understanding that he can run the entire route tree. Herndon and Sam had great chemistry their rookie season. There's no reason imo to think that they won't return to that this season.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Cager is going to have to play specials which IIRC he hasn’t done yet so that’s going to be an issue when trying to make this roster. Same with George Campbell, a highly touted HS recruit with very good athleticism, he’s just been injury prone.

11. Red Menace

It’s ok to disagree but the numbers speak for themselves, in the 4 years they have been in the league, Robby has put up better numbers than Breshad Perriman.

As a matter of fact, Robbies worst year which was his rookie year is only 100 yards shy of Perriman best year in the NFL with Tampa. I know Robby is gone and it is what it is but Perriman is not the answer as his replacement.

Cager better step up quickly because Jets will need him to.

12. BrianBleedsGreen59

Maybe I'm drinking too much of the Cager koolaid but look at Fromms numbers without him. One talking head draft guru had Mims as our immediate#1 receiver but yes Crowder was a great slot guy last year. Mims to eliminate the drops wish we got the guy from ND Claypool. Small world I worked with a women who's husband is Frank Ross the captain of the 80's Bulldog championship team with Hershal Walker. I have to do more homework on Perriman not a NFC fan.

Red Menace likes this.
  13. Red Menace

I believe Cager has a niche, most of his catches were jump ball catches which is very important in the Red Zone, I want him to succeed and be the number two guy, but that’s just not realistic.

He may need a full season to get to that level. Mims on the other hand while needing some refining, he has everything that Cager has plus the speed. You can ask him to run go routes and open things up for other receivers underneath.

My concern is having to depend on a slot receiver and a limited production receiver in Perriman to hold down the fort until Mims and Cager are ready to help team win.

We have Herndon as @NCJetsfan mentioned but he is more of a security blanket for Darnold than an explosive playmaker like Mims would be.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Robby Anderson makes you feel that much better about things than Perriman? I gotta disagree there.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

so the difference between Robby and Perriman has you going from ecstatic to concerned? That makes zero sense my man

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

Looking at stats and not realizing the difference in time on the field, targets, and games started as contributing factors is a lot of the problem with your opinion.

Based on his play, what he did at the end of the year last year, with the opportunity given, I'm excited to see what he does for us.

I think he will be a big upgrade over, Robbie.

Time will tell.

17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Fans overrate Robby Anderson too much. And I get it, because he was the only positive and clear weapon the Jets had the last few years, but he is replaceable. His production is certainly replaceable. @Red Menace is pointing to past stats, but I would bet you Perriman has better stats with the Jets in 2020 than Anderson will have with the Panthers in 2020.

As for the new guys, you hope a player like Denzel Mims will be even better than Robby was. Lawrence Cager's highlights look pretty good to me too. Hopefully he makes the team and makes a bigger impact that people expect.

18. Red Menace

How? The transition to becoming an NFL receiver is not an easy thing to do, lots to learn, it becomes easier when the young receivers have some quality veterans to learn from, it’s how Anderson made his transition, he had Brandon Marshal to learn from.

I have no problems with Anderson being gone but who is going to help Mims and Cage?

Crowder, is the only guy who has the production and experience to take on that role.

If it were Anderson and Crowder I would have been ecstatic about those guys coming in and learning from them, now it’s only Crowder.

If you are a receiver with limited to no production how are you going to help anyone?

19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Those two are hard call WR2's as well though, Crowder can be safely called a slot receiver and will see more ball than any of the others but it won't make him a WR1 or a 2 really, situational WR, Perriman could be a WR2 or he could be the guy that takes up what Robby did and be the speedster on the long ball, so in theory, those two could be labelled WR3 and WR4 leaving WR2 for somebody to claim.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

We have some excellent former WRs working as WR Coaches. I'm sure that they can teach Mims, Cager and the other young WRs everything they need to know.

K'OB likes this.