What veteran free agents remaining do you want to sign?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsGoFar, Apr 26, 2020.

1. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I love the draft. Love the potential.

That being said, think the pipe dream of overpaying Clowney or trading for Ngaukwe and giving him top dollar is done.

Here are my choices for free agents:

1. Cameron Wake - People say he's old but dude is still productive and I'd love to see him on a Greg Williams defense. Won't cost a fortune and couldn't hurt to have Zuniga learn under him and work his way into the rotation.

2. Corey Clement - Since it looks like we are moving away from Powell and Montgomery, I think Clement would be an excellent backup to Bell and to compete with Perine for RB2 duties. Clement needs a change of scenery and a fresh opportunity, and Joe Douglas has first hand experience what he meant to that Eagles championship team.

If we can come to an agreement with Jamal, the priority should be to extend him before handing out big one year deals to a Logan Ryan or a Jadeveon Clowney (who I think will settle for a one year deal).

What would you like to see?

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

-Back-Up QB: Matt Moore, Blake Bortles, Mike Glennon or even Joe Flacco. Need a veteran back-up for Sam.

-Wide Receiver: Wouldn't mind bringing Demaryius Thomas back.

-Cornerback: Logan Ryan or Prince Amukamura would make sense to improve the secondary. Eli Apple maybe.

-Any kind of pass rusher.

3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I don't think Clement is the answer, we already have one ex eagle RB that interchanged with Clement two seasons back in Adams, he may as well get the chance to compete with Perine.

Markus Golden would be of interest 29yo EDGE 10 sacks and 79 tackles last year - $5m last season could we get him on the cheap?

Devonta Freeman RB had a down season on top of an injured season, could be interesting if you wanted to add to the back, he was a good pass-catching back.

There were a couple of CB's that had possible interest but that will surely be a closed shop if Logan signs.

I see Prince A got the mention as I was typing my reply.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  4. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Great point about Matt Moore. I would definitely bring him in. No ego, just team player who knows Gase's system. Dude has always played well when needed too, especially if the O-Line can protect our QB's.

Chappy13 and The Dark Knight like this.
  5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Somebody said he had retired and was only talked back last season by KC for the season.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

I also think DT could be a good, cheap signing. He says he's healthy now and, quite frankly, with the off-season cut short due to Coronavirus, not bad to pick up a WR 4-6 that knows the system already.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't think the Jets would be a playoff team this year even if they signed Logan Ryan, Clowney, Clement, and Wake. At this point, I wouldn't sign any of them. The Jets have a number of young players with talent. I think this year needs to be spent looking to see who is going to be able to help them going forward, and giving those young players a chance to develop. I wouldn't take away snaps from them to play an older, over the hill vet who won't be with us in 2021.

At RB, after Bell, they have Perine, Kenneth Dixon who showed some promise with the Ravens, Josh Adams who showed some promise with the Eagles, Trenton Cannon, and Jalin Moore. Moore was on PUP and IR all of last season and never got a chance to show what he can do. He's a good RB and has some power. Unless Bell gets injured, he is going to get most of the snaps. Whomever his young backups are should get the rest, not some older vet.

The same goes at CB. They already have an older CB in Pierre Desir. They have Bless Austin, Quincy Wilson, Bryce Hall, Kyron Brown, and Nate Hairston. Let them get all the reps in TC and see if they can develop. If they do, great. If not, and Douglas is worried about the season, he can sign Ryan then if he's still available. Other CBs will probably be cut/released in the coming weeks and at the end of TC. He could also sign someone then if the young players don't look up to the challenge.

The only pressing needs right now are veteran backup QB and K. Hopefully, whomever the backup is never has to see the field this season, but we certainly don't want Mike White, David Fales or the rookie Morgan to have to take the field. Mike White and Fales don't even belong on our roster. I think we might want to bring in another kicker for competition. Then again, with the team not being a playoff team anyway, it may not make any difference.

The only other position where Douglas might look to sign a veteran now or towards the end of TC is WR if Enunwa has retired or isn't healthy, Doctson isn't cutting the mustard, and Perriman and Mims aren't where they need to be. With all the WRs taken in the draft, undoubtedly some decent to good older veteran WRs will probably shake loose.

#7 NCJetsfan, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  8. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Yeah, who knows. Maybe being in forced quarantine has made him realize optional retirement not everything it's cracked up to be lol. Let's throw $2M his way and see what his answer is! ️

K'OB likes this.
  9. JetsGoFar

JetsGoFar Active Member

Good points for the growth of young players. But, as Joe is building a competitive culture, I think it behooves the Jets signing older vets who can still play so the young ones can:

a) earn it
    b) learn technique and gather experience on/off field to become true pros.

We may not win more games than last year due to our schedule, but we'll be better by far. And if the line performs and Sam makes that jump, would be lovely to be the surprise team of the AFC next year.

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

They need a vet backup QB, Fales shouldn't even be on the roster. Thomas should probably be re-signed. If Clowney would take a one year, with team option, for an affordable price, I'd sign him. Kicker.

SOJAZ and dmw like this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

How about none ?

Veteran leadership and all - we already have that. We don't need that veteran leadership per position. By that logic we should have position leader for RB, OL, TE, WR, DL, LB, DB and even special teamers, no? That's a ludicruous idea. If anything, these kids we drafted have been a leader in their respective college programs themselves, and if they are any good, they should grow into the role, if need be.

Red Menace, Brook!, Cman68 and 2 others like this.
  12. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Back up QB while the new kid has a chance to develop and an upgrade at kicker. That to me is it for now. I want to see how all the WR corps do in training camp first before we consider adding more. Enunwa needs to establish his position on the field in training camp or take our losses and run. It’s time to give all the new talent a chance to develop together some great chemistry. I want this team to be competitive this year and fight hard for a playoff spot, knowing we have a way to go to lead the division.

13. The Dark Knight

I don't get why you feel that way. The Jets were (7-9) last year and that was without CJ Mosley most of the season, a terrible offensive line, Sam having mono the first half of the season, and starting (1-7). Now the Patriots are not who they used to be, there are 7 seeds in the playoffs instead of 6, and Joe Douglas has put some pieces around Sam. Now it is no guarantee to make the playoffs, but to act like it is a given they won't, seems a little extreme to me.

14. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

For starters, the schedule is more difficult this year in terms of travel and quality of opponents. Does that mean we have no shot to make the playoffs? Obviously not, but we need a lot to go right. Sam taking a jump in year 3, the OL having minimal growing pains with the new faces, the new WR's being productive, Bell showing that he has a productive season left in the tank, etc.... Hey, stranger things have happened. No one expected us to reach the AFC Championship game in 2009, especially when we were 4-6.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Markus Golden absolutely. I would still give Jason Peters a call, and of course bring back Bilal Powell.

K'OB likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Perhaps it is, but I think someone here said the Jets have THE toughest schedule in the NFL this coming season. Even if it's not THE toughest, it's one of the toughest.

While I think they'll be improved as a team, I don't think they'll be a playoff team due to the schedule, the fact that they're going to have a LOT Of new pieces to incorporate, and they still have holes and depth issues. Then there's Gase. I think the jury is still out on him and it's leaning more negative than positive. Our OL is going to have at least 4 new starters, maybe 5. Even though I think they'll be much better than last year, I think they'll have some early bumps, especially since there will be no OTAs or mini-camps. Herndon for all intents and purposes missed all of last season so he's going to be rusty and may not really know the offense yet. Mims is going to have to learn the offense quickly, and won't have much time to build chemistry and timing with Sam. The same goes for Perriman and Doctson, if Doctson even makes the team. I have hopes, but that's all they are at the moment. Sam has yet to play a full 16 game season. Will this year be the year he finally does? Hopefully! If not, who is our backup going to be? Asking Morgan to be the backup with no OTAs, minicamps, and no experience in the NFL is too much. He may not even know the offense. Mike White or David Fales sure aren't the answer and probably would be no better than Falk or Siemian.

I think the talent level is a lot better, but chemistry is important as is if the units work together smoothly, with precision, and knowing where each other will be. Will the defense be able to maintain its outstanding play from last season or was it a minor miracle. I believe that Gregg Williams is a great DC, and the Jets have a lot of good players, and added some more, but I don't think anyone expected them to be as good as they were last season, especially with Mosely and Williamson missing the season. Sometimes when key players are injured and miss games or the season, the rest of the players come together and step up their games to compensate. Is that what made the D so good last year, or only part of it? If it was, that will be missing this year. It may not have been that, but we have to see. Don't forget also that we had one of the easiest, if not THE easiest schedule in the NFL last year. There were no long trips to the left coast or back-to-back games there. This season we have a number of trips to the left coast. Injuries at other positions could happen this year.

The Patriots aren't what they were, there will be an extra playoff team, and I think that will help, but I think it is just too soon to expect the Jets to be one of the playoff teams with their schedule and the lack of OTAs and minicamps this season. I think the teams who were already playoff teams will return and the extra team will be a team that is ahead of the Jets in terms of its rebuild/personnel, experience together, and who has an easier schedule than the Jets. Hopefully, I'm wrong.

17. The Dark Knight

Yeah, good points. Your main point though, is that the Jets are not a 2020 playoff team, thus should not try to sign these vets to fill holes and improve the team's chances. I disagree. I think they should do what they can to add players and attempt to make a playoff push. Play the best players. If a young guy outplays a vet, you bench the vet. I agree the big jump is likely 2021, but they need to try to succeed in 2020. I don't think fans would be fine if Gase says "Sorry, the schedule was too tough and we had all these restrictions with Covid-19, but don't worry! 2021 will be great." They expect to compete now.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Thanks. We can agree to disagree.

I understand what you're saying, but imo when a team is rebuilding, they are trying to find young players who can help them going forward and want to play those young players to give them all the experience they can get to speed up their development. Bringing in a bunch of older vets who won't be with the team is counterproductive. They would take snaps and experience away from those younger players. It would inhibit, if not prevent the growth and development of those young players, and would prevent the team from seeing if those young players are the right players to help them going forward. IMO that approach is the "going all in to win this year" approach, rather than building the team for sustainable success. It can get the team stuck in the vicious cycle of having to bring in older veterans to play every year because the team hasn't developed young talent. The other thing it does is inflate a team's sense of itself. It can make the owners, CS, and GM think that they're better than they actually are, and lead to making mistakes in how they proceed. Winning perhaps a few extra games with those older vets also hurts them in the following year's draft, as they are drafting lower in each round and get less and less choice of the top players. It also uses up too much of the cap, and doesn't leave adequate space for in-season emergencies, adding talent via TC cuts, and prevents the team from having extra money that they can roll forward to use in FA the following offseason. That imo is totally the wrong approach.

The focus should be on building for the future and sustainable success. That's Douglas' stated goal. The young players have to be given snaps and playing time to learn and develop. They can learn only so much by sitting and watching. Eventually, they have to get on the field and show that they can do it.

In addition, if the Jets brought in those older vets and didn't develop and play the younger players in 2020, there would be no big jump in 2021. It would push that back to 2022 or later because the young players wouldn't have developed as much and would have little or no experience.

Of course, Gase or the team is not going to make a ridiculous statement like that to the media. They don't have to say anything.

K'OB and The Dark Knight like this.
  19. The Dark Knight

No, I mostly agree with all of that. I just think some positions can be improved. And I am sure they will add some players and subtract others before the season. I know Gase wouldn't literally say that, I am saying fans would not be so kind as you are, saying the playoffs were not reachable. They will say he should be fired. So patience is the right approach, but it is hard to find in New York.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

Clowney (Gregg Williams deserves him).

because then we'll add another SEC beast defender
    to an already fully loaded SEC defense.

Quinnen Williams (Bama).
    Jadeveon Clowney (South Carolina).
    C.J Mosley (Alabama)
    Avery Williamson (Kentucky).
    Jordan Jenkins (Georgia).
    Kyle Phillips (Tennessee).
    Jabari Zuniga (Florida).
    Brian Poole (Gators).
    Marcus Maye (Florida Gators).
    Jamal Adams (LSU).

Would one more BEAST SEC defender, really hurt?

lol.

We're fully loaded SEC prime and ready.
    Clowney would fit right at home
    And be surrounded by other SEC dogs
    On the field and within the locker room.

Joe D MVP likes this.