Your Grades for Jets' Picks

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Brook!, Apr 24, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Becton: A-
    Mims: B+
    Davis: B
    Zuniga: C-
    Perine: B-
    Morgan: A-
    Clark: B+
    Hall: A
    Mann: A

Overall I think n A-/B+. I could quibble with some picks, but I'm going to trust Douglas that he was drafting to a blueprint. Also, he was nver going to be able to draft an future All Pro with every pick, so it's a multi-year job. Good first step.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The entire draft grades out as a solid B. Excellent job shoring up the OL - Becton obviously can be a franchise LT but I think Clark will be a steal. Mims has the speed and size for. #1 WR - good job trading down and still acquiring him ( makes me wonder why he lasted ). Surprised another WR wasn’t drafted particularly later. I wasn’t thrilled with the Zuniga pick as I thought there was better talent still on the board at that position. Perine is a decent Powell type - probably not starting material. Personally I liked McFarland better. Hall the CB will be a steal if he recovers fully from his ankle surgery. It’s about time a decent QB prospect was added ( with understudy in mind ) as I’m tired of seeing perennial retreads come and go. Mann should solve the new punter every 3 years wheel .......

JD seemed to go for high quality guys - even the safety - I know the Jets are stacked there but nothing wrong with adding talent plus who knows what the future holds for Maye.

Overall a solid B and I can see JD’s print beginning to show ....keep in mind this isn’t a one year project.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Even though it's way too early to assign grades, I'll play.

Becton - I loved him early, then for no fault of his own, I allowed my fears of what some other collegiate players have done (or not done) when they got to the NFL (not working hard to improve, trying to get by on natural ability alone), and I backed off of him. I think he was the only one of the top 4 OTs who has perennial All Pro and HOF potential. I love his nasty demeanor on the field, his athleticism and size. Have read further that he's a hard worker, and I think he's going to be a beast for us. A+

Mims - I was tantalized by his potential, but turned off a bit by him in game tape that I watched. Also, due to my fears of Becton, love of Lamb, and where I thought Mims would go in the draft (bottom of the 1st/early 2nd), I didn't even really consider him seriously until we got to the 2nd round and he was still there. His size and speed are excellent and I love that he's a good blocker in the run game. He's a little raw in terms of routes and route running, but I think he can develop into a true #1 WR and a great player for us. The fact that we traded down and still got him is crazy. Great value. A+

Davis - I knew nothing about this kid other than his name and that he was considered a 1st or 2nd round prospect who was very athletic. I didn't think we'd be looking at S, even though we signed that FA S whose last name is Christian, and then he changed his mind. After reading about him, watching several clips of him, I'm excited about adding him. If nothing else, I think he will be an amazing player as a gunner and PR/KR. I love his speed and what I read about his instincts and character. I can see him being a 3rd S on the field, playing some nickel and dime CB perhaps as well. He could potentially replace Maye, but even if he doesn't, I think he was a very good addition that should be a regular contributor on STs and D and make us better. I like the infusion of greater speed on the back end as well. B+ that could easily change to an A+

Zuniga - All I knew about this kid was his name and where he went to college. I knew we needed an edge, but I'm not a fan of the blue collar Edges who have a non-stop motor but little or no speed or athleticism. I wanted someone with potential to be a difference maker at Edge. With his first step explosion, speed, hustle and motor, I think he has a chance to develop into a really good edge rusher for us. Even if he's just a situational edge rusher for us this season, he should make a contribution, and could develop into a quality edge rusher for us. I'll give this a B based on his speed/athleticism/motor alone. Those are things that can't be coached. His grade could go lower or higher depending upon what happens.

Perine - I wasn't really looking at RBs for this draft except as gadget type players, so I had seen his name, but knew nothing about him. I figured that he was related to Samarje Perine and thought he might have been his younger brother, but is his cousin. Looking at some video and reading some about him, he sounds like he could be a good backup or part of a RB by committee. If the comparison with Bilal Powell I've seen some here make is apt, then I think he could be a great value and an A- or B+ pick, but for now will give it a solid B.

Morgan - With Douglas not signing a backup QB other than Fales, I believe that he was looking to draft one. Also, I like Ron Wolf's idea of drafting a QB every year, developing them and then trading them for a future higher pick. I didn't spend much time looking at QBs, but the little I did, I saw a profile on Anthony Gordon early and became sold. I wanted Gordon, but like what I have read about Morgan since we took him. I like QBs who are more mobile and can run for 1st downs, so he doesn't sound ideal to me, but I like that he has a very strong arm, has good size and is very smart. From the sound of it, he never would have been there for us in the 6th round and probably not the 5th, either, so I'm glad we grabbed him in the 4th. I still have to look at film on him. Since I thought we needed to take a QB and he has prototypical size, has played in a pro-style offense and has a strong arm, I'll give this pick a B, but obviously, if he sticks and develops into a quality backup or can be traded for a 2nd or 1st round pick in a few years, his grade will go a lot higher.

Clark - I don't keep up with UNC-Charlotte football and wasn't really interested in researching OL that could go this low, so had never heard of this kid. Love what I've read about him so far and can't wait to see video of him. I also love the fact that he has a nasty attitude on the field and is a masher as well as Becton, and that they know each other and are friends. Sounds like he could develop into a great OG for us in a year A on potential alone, and if he develops into a good starter A+

Hall
    - I liked Hall a lot and thought he would go in the 2nd round. I didn't really want him because I didn't want to use our 2nd round pick on a CB, but if we did, I liked Jaylon Johnson a lot more. I am shocked beyond words that he fell to the 5th round. What a steal!!! I think he could develop into a very good player for us. A+

Mann
    - We needed a punter, and Mann was the best at the college level. He has an absolute howitzer for a leg, yet can get great hang time, and has accuracy. He can also kickoff and get touchbacks. He is going to be a huge weapon for us. LOVE this pick. A+

Overall Grade - A-
    I like what I've read about every player, love the Becton, Mims, Clark and Mann picks. I love the approach to add high character players, who love the game, who are leaders/captains and very athletic and fast. If all these players develop this will be a home run draft. It already looks like a double, potentially a triple. The only thing I am disappointed about in this draft is the not adding another WR or two.

#23 NCJetsfan, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Brook!, NYJetsO12, boozer32 and 5 others like this.
  4. mrjet80

Absolutely agree. Hall was a great pick for the 5th round - had they taken him earlier over a guy like Jaylon Johnson not so much. I’m very surprised a second WR wasn’t added especially late.

5. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

If I ever have a kid naming it Ashtyn. Absolutely in love with that selection!

6. mrjet80

Really? What exactly do you like about it ? Sounds like a good player but the Jets are stacked there and some posters were confused by the selection.

7. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Becton - Incomplete
    Mims -Incomplete
    Davis - Incomplete
    Zuniga -Incomplete
    Perine - Incomplete
    Morgan -Incomplete
    Clark - Incomplete
    Hall - Incomplete
    Mann - Incomplete

However, I've Liked what Trade Joe did and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

joe and themorey like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Everyone here has that pick they do not like. Mines is the RB from Florida. Looks choppy running and kinda small. But then I have to think about the character and attitude that Douglas is trying to instill. So he'll get an automatic mulligan on his first draft. I do like most of the picks Zuniga, Davis, Mims and a few of the UDFA agent WR might have a chance. I hope he stole one in Bryce Hall. Very surprise he lasted so long even with the injury but they should let him get healthy this year and see what they truly got next year.

9. boozer32

How can you like but give an incomplete? They did play in college. That is all anyone is going off at this point even scouts and GM's.

10. boozer32

I wished they would have taken a TE.

11. Savatage

Savatage Well-Known Member

Easily. they haven't played one down yet in the NFL.

I hope they all end up with A+'s.

12. boozer32

If you get the best at that position its worth it. Currently, we have no punter and this guy is a great directional punter. Not much value in the 7th and maybe Douglas was following his board.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. boozer32

You should be excited about our new punter. Of he can change the field position like this he's worth it.

14. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why?

We have two good pass catching TE's and a blocking TE already.

Who are you wanting to be replaced?

15. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

That is true but not really the game is it :rolleyes:

I am not going to grade mine until 2022 just in case I make a c*nt of myself by getting so excited with A grades or be a negative nelly with D+'s ;)

#35 K'OB, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2020
    Savatage likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

and

You may be correct about our getting "lathered up" due to the approach and trading down, but if nothing else that's a welcome change.

Mims isn't just some "project" WR. Besides, the choice came down to getting Becton or the elite WR, and imo Douglas made the right choice. Becton is going to help Sam by protecting him and by opening holes for Bell. I was shocked that Mims didn't go in the 1st round or very early in the 2nd.

In terms of the "skilled pass rusher" what was Douglas supposed to do, create one? There are never very many and they go early. This draft only had Chase Young and maybe AJ Epenesa. We didn't have a shot at Young, but even if we did, protecting Sam or getting him a better WR was the priority. Epenesa is not a fit for our D. He's a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 DE. We needed someone who could be a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE. If you paid attention all the other "skilled" Edge Rushers fell dramatically because they have no speed or athleticism, so their chances of having any real success in the NFL are slim an none. Zach Baum is too small for our D, and even he fell. Just because we have a need doesn't mean that there will be an appropriate player in a draft that's worth drafting. You don't take a lesser player just because you have a need.

IMO your and others' attitude about not drafting a punter is lacking the proper perspective. By the 6th round, the talent level has really dropped off. The chances of those players making a team aren't great, and the odds of their starting or making any kind of significant contribution are even greater. A great Punter can be a huge weapon. Along with the D, he can keep the other team pinned deep in their own territory and make them have to drive the length of the field to score. He can keep his own team in great field position and there's always the chance that the opposing team will muff the punt and his team will be able to recover or that his D can create a TO inside the 20 and have great field position. A great punter can have a much bigger impact on a game and on a team's fortunes than some 2nd or 3rd string player that doesn't even see the field, or rarely does. He can also change the momentum and break the other team's spirit. Think about it. The opposing team kicks off and maybe stops the Jets' return team inside the 20. Then their D forces a 3 and out. Normally, they could expect to get the ball back around their 35-45 yard line. With a punter like Mann, they may not even get a chance to return the punt, or may only get it inside their own 20. That's a HUGE shift and can be demoralizing to the opposing D, and give our own D a huge lift and get them fired up. You don't have to find a position player. That's just wrong thinking. A punter and a kicker have a much bigger impact on a game than low-level depth players both in terms of field position and in scoring points.

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not really a grade and it's certainly not my grade, but it's something a friend of mine sent me and I thought I would share:

[​IMG]

18. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Becton: A
    Mims: A+
    Davis: B+
    Zuniga: C+
    Perine: B-
    Morgan: C+
    Clark: B+
    Hall: A+
    Mann: B

Post draft reaction, one of the best drafts I've seen from the Jets in the last decade.

Perine, Davis and Zuniga could have an impact early. Davis especially will allow Maye to be more of a play-maker. Offensive line is like night and day compared to last year.

themorey likes this.
  20. phill1c

phill1c Member

I'm happy with the number of WRs. We already have less talented WRs from last year. Just because the draft is supposed to be an outstanding one for WRs, I think the Jets have some talent on the roster already. And the guys they have are experienced in the system or pros with just as much talent, but spotty production. I feel great about the the Jets WRs.

I was going to be disappointed but the UVA CB pick cemented this draft as potentially one of the best Jets drafts ever. It had everything: blue chips, trade downs, late-round steals, addressed every hole...what's not to like?