Joe D Makes His Mark

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Apr 25, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Not any more!!!

dmw likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Like your avatar. That's a beautiful wolf.

Cman68 likes this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

You know, that Ashtyn Davis pick was both my least favorite and perhaps favorite at the same time.

At the time I was like many, why a safety and spent very little time pre draft evaluating safeties considering it is one of the few positions that was strong pre draft.

After time had passed and I learned more about Davis besides liking the pick over talent alone I also grew an appreciation for JD having the foresight to see a potential need down the line and address it now before it becomes a hole.

Between getting that incredible value out of our original 2nd rd pick and then the Davis pick I started to really believe what I had hoped and that is that the GM gets it and we are in good hands.

NYJetsO12, themorey, Falco21 and 2 others like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Fair enough. However, If we win 3 SB, we may both be wrong, Sam might very well be the new best acquisition ever.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

As much as I despise Gase, this was the first time in my life that I came away from a draft very confident in the final result.

Kudos to Joe Douglas.

NYJetsO12 and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Enigmah

Enigmah Active Member

I'm happy with the job he's done the last few days. Right from the jump, JD always seemed to get it, and his draft didn't sway my opinion on that. I'm hoping this draft will do for us what 2018's draft did for the Colts when they finally fixed that garbage offensive line and helped them turn things right around in a huge way. It is just invaluable what having a great line does for a team. We saw it this last year when they lost an incredible QB to retirement right before the season, and they still managed to win 7 games with a mediocre backup. I understand they have amazing coaching as well, but those players up front make all the difference.

If JD did what he set out to do and fixed our line, we're going to see a completely different offense this year, and we'll finally be able to truly evaluate our offensive talent, which I think is better than most think.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  7. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was going to say that to @NCJetsfan! If Douglas does build a championship team, you would assume Sam is the centerpiece and one could argue that Joe wouldn't have even entertained the Jets offer if they did not have Sam and Gase, Gase would not have considered the Jets if they did not have Sam, thus Sam could be considered the best Jets acquisition! :D;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

I'm not a college football fan, so I know nothing about college talent except for maybe the top few players. EVERY year after the draft, Jets fans that know more than me are left scratching their heads saying "why this one and why that one". For the 1st time, these people are saying "great pick", "smart trade", "great draft". Clearly, something has changed. I'm excited for this season, if there is one.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This draft is what Idzik's 2014 should've looked like. Idzik's first round with Calvin Pryor didn't make a ton of sense but we could kind of live with it because we still though Rex was a defensive guru. Then Jace Amaro hit and the pitchforks were out. After Dexter McDougal the torches were lit.

This draft never felt like that. Completely cool and under control. We'll trade down repeatedly and continue to get guys who will contribute on their rookie contract at a minimum.

10. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets have Douglas because of Gase. If Gase does nothing as Jets coach, he still gets credit for hiring Douglas.

11. Jonathan_Vilma

The only thing that will truly chap my ass about this draft is if Tyler Biadasz becomes a legitimate NFL center. I know we just signed a legit center for three years, but he was too draftable and we had three shots at taking him in the fourth.

Really tough for a team that's been missing a good center for five years to pass on the nation's best center. Injury and performance question marks or not.

12. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Professional. We have a professional running the show... finally.

13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I really liked Biadasz too, but his health must've really been a concern, not just to Douglas, but to all the teams, for him to fallen so far. I'm going to trust Joe on this one. I also think that Clark might be a diamond in the rough and become a big part of the OL, and if so, will take the sting out of not getting Baidasz.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

100%. I think his bill of health must have shown arthritis or something in his hip. Because his tape was that of a second round center. I honestly thought he would've snuck into the back end of the first. I still would've taken that flyer with our second or third fourth round pick. I think the kid will be a player.

Shows how little I know though.

15. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

And he has a great football name! I bet I know what his nickname is!

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Nicely said Colorado. This team will be remarkably different than the 2019 Squad. I predict at least a couple of jewels will also rise from the undrafted selections in work. Arguably, the 2020 team might very well be composed of more than 25% new players between the draft, free agency and the like. If nothing else, our OL will be a far cry from last year. You thrive or die in the trenches, and 2020 is our year to thrive.

17. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Which is almost as odd as having to credit Maccagnan for Darnold. Cause he did make the trade up for him and picked him after all. It seems like Darnold was the only positive from Maccagnan's tenure. And so far Douglas is the only real positive from having Gase.

18. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Let's play a few games before we anoint Saint Joe.

ColoradoContrails, Brook! and FJF like this.
  19. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

There was a crazy chart showing that 65% of the NFL rosters where draft choices from 5-7 rounds. So Joe was tapping into that with the trades to accumulate picks.

ColoradoContrails and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Pre-Draft Analysis
    Biadasz is a fundamentally sound run-blocker with good size. He gets his hands inside, latches on and anchors well in pass protection. He's versatile enough to provide depth at guard. Biadasz is a below-average athlete who doesn't show great range climbing to the second level in the run game and is going to need help working against quicker interior pass-rushers. -- Steve Muench

- honestly if there’s a place he can harness his skills, Dallas is a great spot.

NCJetsfan likes this.