The WAY too early "Grade the Jets draft" thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Apr 25, 2020.

1. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I answered this inquiry in the Quincy Wilson thread. Stay healthy, my friend!

2. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Maybe not a homerun..... but hopefully this is the beginning of consistently getting extra base hits..... ummm wait... wrong sport..... its like getting 10 hits...errrr...

I didnt really get to pay much attention today (aside from draft tracker updates) but I'm pretty happy overall.... and sadly thats not usually how I feel when the draft concludes :)

a collection of solid FOOTBALL PLAYERS... not just plugging pegs into holes (but potentially filled needs too)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

Based on what I saw we addressed positions of need. Happy for that. Finally had a solid draft. Good work Mr. Douglas.

NYJetsO12, NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  4. teamgreen

teamgreen Well-Known Member

Tried to spread the picks a bit too thin over several positions, IMO. Hoping for the best but expected, and would have preferred, a bit more dedication to WR position in particular since we have a "young QB to build around" and probably came into the draft with the worst set of WR talent in the league.

Jedi mind tricks and stinkyB like this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I would give it a B - nothing too surprising, no huge steals (except maybe Bryce Hall) - some head scratching picks but overall not a disaster

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Mogriffjr I enjoyed reading your summary...good job. I like how you projected the rest of the draft! It's like you were in JD's head.

Now, it's WAY to early to grade ANY draft. That said, I'd give JD a B out of the shute, with room for improvement as time goes on.

1) if Ashtyn Davis S, exact contribution unknown, works out well in Gregg Williams' defense as our starting FS or DB plus his Teams contributions, I'd give us a B+.

2) if Jabari Zuniga DE playing with Quinnen and Adams can generate more pass rush than Jordan Jenkins, I might bump us to an A-. Edge pressure is something we've really missed for a long time. I don't expect Jabari to become John Abraham but if in 2 years he lands somewhere between Jenkins and Bosa then JD is a really good GM and deserves a lot of credit.

3) if Bryce Hall DB can recover from his broken ankle and become a solid contributor to our backfield in a yr or two, he could be the final piece to bumping this draft up to a full A.

A few things still have to happen. We only took one WR Denzel Mims when we were all screaming for at least 2 or 3. Our Pass Catchers are: Mims and Perriman on the outside, Crowder in the slot, Quincy and Demaryius Thomas as 4 and 5, plus Herndon/Wesco/Griffin as TEs. Not bad. Plus we still have Bellamy/Berrios/Vyncint Smith on the roster (and a few others I cant recall). Plus one or two walk ons yet to be determined. So we SHOULD be OK even with just one new WR in the draft, especially since we got a REALLY good one in Mims. Time will tell, but we need this group to have a good year to justify only taking one WR. If Perriman falls flat and/or Enunwa is done, we may wish we had taken two WRs.

I love JD's trade down in the 2nd. He still got Mims and used the extra picks to add a much needed back up for Sam. He also added a huge beef steak for our oline. Not sure where Cameron Clark T will play, but he's another BIG man who may take over a guard spot for years to come...time will tell.

And he got the best punter. No one cares about a punter until the punter we have shanks a punt in the 4th qtr and we lose the game!

So ya, I'll give us a B with a chance to get to a full A in a year or two if some of these picks none of us quite understand work out.

tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The Raiders were that turd in your fantasy football league who takes all the WRs in an effort to play keep away from everyone else.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

haha yup....it was like Al Davis was drafting from the grave..."Give me ALL the fast receivers...DOIT!!!"

GQMartin likes this.
  9. Jedi mind tricks

Jedi mind tricks Well-Known Member

Yeah I like what the Panthers did with their draft. They clearly had a plan and drafted all defense or the broncos surrounding Locke with talent. Thought we should have done something similar instead of trying to address a bunch of different things should've just tried to fix the offense compile as much talent as possible on that side of the ball

10. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

This has been a breath of fresh air. The off-season as a whole. It's not over yet either.

We have went year after year, with neglecting so many positions. Again, year, after, year.

If you think about it, Joe D had a lot on his plate, and to expect him to fix everything in one off-season is wishful thinking.

However.

If everything pans out like I expect it to, this fucking guy, has really changed this team in many important ways. He has revamped and solidified a lot of positions in one off-season.

Especially at the OL position. Competition on the line is going to be crazy good, which is a huge plus. We finally, finally, should have a legit offensive line with quality depth behind our starters.

People on this board are sleeping on Beshard Perriman. I have a feeling this kid is just hitting his potential and we very well could be the beneficiary of it. We drafted a quality receiver with, Mims. Remember, any other draft, he would have definitely been a first round talent. Keep that in mind. Then we have, Crowder. The dude was a baller in the slot for us last year and our best receiver last year. People are acting like we have downgraded somehow, I think we've upgraded hands down at the WR position.

We now have a formidable offense to surround Darnold with. In one off-season, just like that, we have a legit group of guys to work with on offense now. That's huge. People shouldn't downplay how big that is.

We have a strong backup now at the QB position with a lot of potential to work out for that worst case scenario at the position. None of us want to see it but it's amazing we have a GM who not only is looking at revamping neglected areas of this team, but, also understands the need of quality depth.

We drafted a lot of quality players in this draft. Ton of potential and some amazing moves to find ways to not only get starting caliber players but more picks to supplement much needed depth for this team, with potential for those high quality gems for this team. Including the trade for a high graded and former highly coveted DB in, Quincy Wilson.

Some of you are acting like Idzik or Mac just wrapped up our draft.

Those drafts didn't feel great. Not at all.

This draft, you can already tell Joe D is the real deal. It's obvious to me right now.

It's still too early to say for sure but I have a very good feeling right now for Joey D. This has been a fantastic draft and I haven't felt this good after a draft in a very long time.

Hope it all plays out the way I believe it will.

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I feel like we didn't reach anywhere and were still able to pay attention to needs. It was efficient and I never felt we over drafted anyone because Douglas had to have him. The trade downs were a result of a well graded draft board that didn't sacrifice talent for need. It may or may not work out but it seemed like a smart draft board was prepared and they had a plan and executed it. I'm optimistic that we are finally well managed.

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wanted the Jets to help Sam. 2 OL, 1 WR, 1 RB and a Punter to help give him better field position? I could see all of them contributing in 2020 too, except for maybe Clark. Solid defensive picks too. I don't want to question the James Morgan pick, but that would be my only concern. Still an A grade from me. A+ if they sign a veteran back-up QB for 2020. :cool:

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  13. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I thought the 3rd round could have possibly been better, but then again I don't know anything. I think the rest of the draft was quite solid. Would have liked a second WR, but can't have everything.

hornblower and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

I would have probably picked another WR at some point in the draft too, but on the other hand I can't really argue with any specific pick (even the QB, not after the September from hell with Falk and company). Plus quite frankly something was going to get short shrift in the draft anyway since we DO have a lot of needs.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. Petrozza

Petrozza Administrator

I never understood all these post draft grades. What are these grades based on? Assumptions? These players have not played a single down in the NFL. I am sure someone graded Ryan Leaf and Vernon Gholston an A back in the day...

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/afcgrades.html

Best Pick: Vernon Gholston, OLB, Ohio St, Round 1.
    He can only do one thing, but he does that very well.

I rest my case. :D

16. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I was just looking at the rounds on NFL.com to see where players I and some others thought might be a good pick for the Jets. Two spots after we took Bryce Hall at #158, Nick Harris (C) went to the Browns. He was followed by Tyler Johnson (WR) to the Bucs, then two picks later Kindle Vildor (CB) went to the Bears, followed by Curtis Weaver (DE) to the Dolphins, who was followed by Collin Johnson (WR) to the Jaguars, who was in turn followed by Quintez Cephus (WR) who went to the Lions. That was a pretty good run of talent.

Ralebird likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Thanks, Tom. You stay healthy as well!!!

tomdeb likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Agreed. With a young developing FQB prospect, I definitely would have taken at least one, if not two more WRs in the draft. I would have signed Logan Ryan at CB and probably worried about CB in UDFA and the draft next year. Then again, Bryce Hall presented too good a value in the 5th round, so probably would have taken him. I probably would have passed on Ashtyn Davis and taken Bryan Edwards instead and paired him with Mims. Hopefully, Douglas is right about Perriman, Doctson, and White, or Lawrence Cager will prove to be a revelation, or Douglas has plans to re-sign Demaryius Thomas or sign a WR who is released by a team who took a couple of WRs in the draft.

19. NCJetsfan

Demaryius Thomas is still a FA, so you can't include him in our WR corps. In addition, I wouldn't count on Enunwa. I doubt that Berrios or Bellamy see the field on offense this year. Supposedly, the Jets like Vyncint Smith, but we'll see. At least he has good size and is pretty fast.

I think there's a decent chance that within a year or two Cameron Clarke will be our starting LG.

20. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Honestly the one I would have switched maybe is the RB pick to a WR. Since we have Bell and it's easier to find other RB's, hell we criminally underused Powell for years.

NCJetsfan likes this.