Jets acquire CB Quincy Wilson

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

The Colts are trading cornerback Quincy Wilson to the New York Jets in exchange for pick No. 211. They'll now have picks 211-213.

Wow.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  2. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

We are getting all the Colt corners

3. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

With how Williams schemed around no-name corners last year I don't mind scimping here for the moment.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. Mogriffjr

The corner room is suddenly CROWDED, and filled with former Colts who played a similar cover 2 scheme so they all should be familiar with what Gregg wants to do here.

Desir
    Poole
    Hairston
    Wilson
    Austin
    Hall
    Maulet

trying to find two starters from this group is going to be a good battle alongside Poole who will man the slot in Nickel. Wilson had a bad year and battled injuries. He also complained about his PT in Indy.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. Its quite frustrating that somehow Corner got prioritized over WR.

i dont understand it anymore

6. Mogriffjr

huh?
    WR room is likely

Perriman and Mims on the outside
    Crowder in the slot.

berrios is the KR/PR with Smith who the Jets like and Bellamy is the ST gunner. There’s also Doctson who has a shot to make the roster. That’s 7 not including Enumwa.

7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

All I can come up with is that either Douglas must believe that Perriman and Doctson can play at a high level, and maybe they think Enunwa is going to be healthy and return as well; or he didn't like the other WRs for some reason. It is puzzling. I think I love every pick that Douglas made, but am disappointed that WR didn't seem to be a bigger priority.

8. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

9. Mogriffjr

Quincy Wilson overall grades by year:

2019: 30.2
    2018: 69.9
    2017: 71.1

If he can recapture what he had in 2017/18, the #Jets just got a steal.

10. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Relax still cuts and undrafted free agents. There wasn’t much after Mims that Douglas and Gase were into spending picks on.

11. Mr mittens

Mr mittens Active Member

Still don’t know why we didn’t take a flyer on Donovan people Jones. So much upside for a late pick

boozer32 likes this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Conspiracy theory: Joe didn't want to take a 2nd WR this year because he expects to land Ja'Marr Chase in next year's draft. :p:D

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Im starting to think they are banking on Doctson to play a legit role in this offense. I actually think he will be a contributor. I wouldn’t have let it stop me from drafting more than one WR but if they think Mims, Perriman, Crowder and Doctson are all contributors (plus they are high on Smith and Berrios is the PR remember) I guess I get it.

KurtTheJetsFan and tomdeb like this.
  14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'll happily burn a late round pick for a former second-rounder that's lost his way. At this stage of the draft we're essentially just tagging potential UDFAs with some upside and this guy has useful experience.

15. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Instead if who? Hall? No way!!!! He was gone before the Mann pick.

16. NCJetsfan

Sorry, wrong thread.

Joe D MVP likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

The following is from Quincy Wilson's 2017 NFL.com draft profile:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2017/profiles/quincy-wilson?id=2557961

ANALYSIS
    STRENGTHS
    Prototypical size for cornerback or safety spot. Big and physical. Very competitive. Willing to accept challenge of taking on a team's top wideout. Uses play strength to overcome some athletic and speed deficiencies. Can maul receivers off line of scrimmage and eliminate them from a route if they don't get clean release against his press. Plus anticipation in coverage. Makes quick reads on in-breaking routes and attacks in front of the route. Finished career with six interceptions. Responsive to play-action keys. Good feel for when to step downhill as tackler. Plays off perimeter blocks quickly. Willing to stick his nose in as a tackler. Willing to be the hammer and not just the nail when it comes to challenging running backs.
    WEAKNESSES
    Hips and feet can be exceedingly sticky in his transitions. Will fight his feet a little in his backpedal and shuffle. Footwork average in space. When feet fail him, he opts to use his hands. Could see spike in illegal contact and holding penalties if asked to play corner early in career. Reliant upon strength and grit in man coverage over speed and athleticism. Plays too tall which hinders click-and-close burst. Allows too much separation against complex routes. Below average reactive athleticism for the position and will struggle to carry long speed.
    DRAFT PROJECTION
    Round 2
    SOURCES TELL US
    "He may not be that clean with his coverage but I would rather go to war with him over (Teez) Tabor any day. He's big and he's tough. Tabor has more talent but Wilson just has to find the right spot because he's got the mindset to be a pro player." -- AFC executive
    NFL COMPARISON
    Tre' Boston
    BOTTOM LINE
    Wilson rose to prominence this year after finishing with three interceptions and allowing fewer than 40 percent of the passes his way to be completed. His size and physicality combined with issues in staying glued to quick receivers could lead him to the safety spot where his instincts, ball skills and willingness to tackle will all serve him well.-Lance Zierlein

Mogriffjr likes this.
  18. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I have a feeling they may know a bit more about Quincy & are counting him in the mix. Or they may expect to run 2 TE sets to make up for our lack of WR depth. After all Sam led the NFL with a 141.0 QBR when throwing to tight ends. If not I would have really liked to see them sign another WR.
    I could live with CROWDER, MIMS, PERRYMAN & QUINCY AS OUR STARTING FOUR.

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, thru free agency and the two picks in 2020 the jets OL is only about 10 times better than Maccagnan's rags that he put out there.
    Still wondering why they haven't cut Winters and his $8M, maybe they have and I missed it.

I liked the the jets picks in rounds 1,2,3 and 5. Round 4? meh--not sure any of them will ever start. The punter in round 6 was fine, but why trade your other 6 for Quincy whatever his name is. The guy did not start a game last year and the Colts had all but announced he would be cut after he draft. The fact that he was once a 2nd round pick means squat to me--so was Christian Hackenberg. Dumb move by Douglas IMO

I think my review of their draft was the same as yours, NC. I don't know why Joe did not take at least one other WR between rounds 3-5. I like the Mims selection but the rest of the jets receiving core is a bunch of retreads and/or injury risks.
    I hope Joe is not thinking that Josh Bellamy provides any WR depth because he stinks as a WR, was nothing special last year on special teams, and only Mike MacCagnan would have given an NFL eight-year retread like that $5 M.
    So it's kind of a mixed bag--liked the first three rounds and Hall in round 5. But I would have grabbed another WR with one of those 5 picks in rounds 3 and 4. And after drafting a nice CB prospect like Hall in round 5, I would not have forfeited a 6th round draft pick for a scrub Colts CB who was going to be released.

Would like to hear your take on the draft/free agency. Feel free to straighten me out if you think I'm wrong.

20. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

I’m a big Michigan fan. Jones very overrated. Did nothing. They show that one highlight where he looked tremendous. That was few and far between.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.