The WAY too early "Grade the Jets draft" thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Apr 25, 2020.

1. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Not feeling the 2 3rd round projects

JetsNation06 likes this.
  2. Jetsfansince95

Jetsfansince95 Well-Known Member

3. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I think Davis is our future FS. Because we can't afford to pay 2 safeties top dollar.. next year Adams & Davis will be our two safeties. ESPN analysts felt this was a great pickup for the Jets. Lou Riddick said he was one of his favorite players in the draft. I'll take their word for it seeing I never saw the kid play.

4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

83% tackle rate. He misses a lot. Looking for too many ooh hits maybe?

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Any reason?

Every report going class them as bargains for the position we took them and the WR for that matter.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Out of interest due to his speed, what if he chased a guy down and had a late swipe at his legs to bring him down, will this be deemed a missed tackle?

I am not saying this is the case but after watching footage I could imagine this being a thing, maybe coming in late after somebody else has blown their coverage and only getting there in enough time to get a half tackle in kind of scenario?

7. rscherwin

rscherwin Well-Known Member

Great write up.

Hated the Davis pick when I saw "S"

LOVE the pick after:
    - watching the tape: fast. and quick. instincts.
    - reading his story: this guy's character is off the charts. He's raw. (His tackling will absolutely improve).

For such a raw player to make such quick reads with body quickness is going to be special.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Have to question the Perine and Morgan picks. There were definitely better fits still on the board. And they should be grabbing o lineman

9. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

In Joe we trust. Saw an interesting statistic the 65% of all starters in the league last year, were taken from round 3 and down. JD seems to get that the flashy, early picks are great but the core of your team will be drafted later.

10. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

A

we upgraded the line.

we got a pass rusher

we got secondary help

a receiver with great potential who can become a starter right away

an actual backup QB

and hopefully our future starting RB

What’s not to like?

Skicats, hornblower and Joe D MVP like this.
  11. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nice post. My only disagreement is drafting another TE. We have truckloads already.--Herndon, griffin, brown, westco. Maybe sign an undrafted TE, but don't waste a pick.

BamaDoc likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Great post and analysis!!!

13. NCJetsfan

Exactly! You can teach and develop tackling technique. You can't coach speed, athleticism and instincts. He's a hard worker and seems like a great kid. I think he's going to be a great pick for the Jets. He could be huge for the Jets alone as a gunner and return man.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

Best draft in ages but I still think the 4th round was a waste. Still, onwards and upwards.

teamgreen, stinkyB and Joe D MVP like this.
  15. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

I was expecting them to be very aggressive with skill positions - particularly in the deep WR group. They finished dead last in the NFL I’m offense and I don’t think they changed much. Outside of the OLine being upgraded. The skill positions are the same. They are going into the season with Perriman (on his 4th team already) and a raw 2nd round pick.

so I’m pretty frustrated with the picks after round 2.

16. MJK

MJK Well-Known Member

This is pretty much how I view the draft but what do I know...WR, RB , and the rusher all seem like C prospects....like the line and secondary picks tho.

17. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Overall A, great draft!!!!!! Haven’t been this pumped without lying to myself in awhile post draft!

18. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

There is still UDFA to find a WR, they found Robby, I’m sure JD can find someone to come in and help.

19. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Thanks for the write up Mogriffjr. I'm not as enthusiastic as you and some others though.

I agree on Becton.

Mims could be really good, but he has issues, and I was hoping JD would get a #1 WR this draft and he's not it.

Davis is high character and a great athlete, but unless he can play CB (which some say he can), or Douglas plans on trading Adams or Maye, he doesn't promise to be a Day 1 starter, something I want a 3rd round pick to be .

Zuniga MIGHT be the pass rusher we've been waiting forever for, but he might not be either and I think he could've been grabbed later, but if he would've been taken by someone else I wouldn't have been upset either.

Perine is okay. Will be a good complement to Bell and he's a good receiver, but I was hoping for another WR here. Still, maybe he promises more production than any WR left at this point.

I actually LIKE the Morgan pick, even though I preferred Anthony Gordon from WSU. But after thinking about it and especially watching Chris Simm's eval. I like Morgan a lot. He's going to be a good QB, and if Sam actually becomes our FQB he can be traded for value. But if Sam falters, Morgan might well take the job from him.

I also like the Cameron Clark pick. He needs some work, but has a big upside and may turn out to be a big part of the OL for years to come.

Bryce Hall is also a good pick, and great value, but again was hoping for more playmakers. Still, at this point no one is can't miss, and JD may want to look for a WR/TE in FA.

Braden Mann is a great pick here! He led the nation in punting and has a cannon leg. He can also do kickoffs. I had him in every mock draft I did.

Overall I'd give this a B+ or maybe an A-. I have to remind myself that with the state of this roster Douglas was not going to be able to fill every hole with an All Pro, but on ballance he's significantly upgraded the talent. Now, if they all live up to their talent level.

tomdeb likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

@tomdeb

I'm curious. I know you're a big OL guy. Are you happy with the work Douglas has done to fix our OL?