The WAY too early "Grade the Jets draft" thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Mogriffjr, Apr 25, 2020.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

There's still 4 more rounds to go but I just wanted to see where everyones head is at.

1- OT Mekhi Becton- GRADE- A+
    - I was torn on wanting a OT or WR here but once the chips fell, it made sense to grab the OT. I think Becton has all-pro like talent at the LT position. For once, he punishes defenders on runs, I mean hes a legit monster and a freight train when he's mauling guys. He's a good pass protector too, who has surprisingly good leverage by using his athleticism to keep pass rushers from doing damage. There will always be a question if those quick and agile DE/OLB types can beat him but he has such a good get-off on the ball that he can negate those questions. When I say I love this pick, I LOVE IT. Having a massive LT to protect Sam is huge as Joe Douglas continues to improve in the trenches. That and it's obvious his agenda was ALSO, getting some athletes with SPEED. More on this in the next few picks.

2- WR Denzel Mims- GRADE- A
    - Again attacking on a huge need, Not only did Joe D trade down to grab extra picks, he grabs one of the top athletic freaks in the draft at the WR spot in Mims. Mims is a pure X receiver...a guy who you line up on the outside and let him shine. He's a burner who can beat any corner deep, and he's also a guy you can throw it up to and he can come down with the ball. I saw a stat that said he had the most contested catches in the NCAA last year (IIRC). He's still a work in progress as he has to continue to improve the route tree (he really only ran a go route, slant, in and out) but he has all the tools, including an excellent cone time to improve on getting in and out of his cuts by using more of his twitchiness as an athlete.

3- S Ashtyn Davis- GRADE- A-
    - Remember the theme...get athletes...Joe D continues that trend as he gets a pure blazer at the Safety spot. Davis grades out more as a FS who can roam the deep middle. There's also talk that Davis could be a potential conversion to the corner spot. Again he is an athlete, a track star who has good instincts and he loves to hit. Remember when the Jets tried to sign Marqui Christian as their 3rd safety and backup? That's what Davis will come in as. If anything, he maybe the future at the deep safety as Maye is already 27, and I doubt Joe D would throw money at someone that's rather old despite his years in the league. He's going to be a demon on specials for the time being but again, the potential that he MIGHT be a corner made me love the pick more. I think he may ultimately be a FS though. He's not a great tackler neither which may limit his ability to play near the LOS but you have to love the range he presents...and while he's not a good tackler, he isn't afraid to get in there to tackle...I'd rather have that trait that he's a willing tackler that can improve then one who's afraid to or can't tackle.

4- DE/OLB Jabari Zuniga- B+
    - Another athlete. 1st in broad jump, 2nd in 40 time amongst DL prospects and 5th in bench press. Dude is the type of athlete the Jets needed coming off the edge. He plays with his hair on fire and has been able to move inside and outside along the defensive line in his career. No doubt though, he's coming here to be an edge rusher (though he shows he COULD be a good interior rusher, I just don't see it playing at his current weight for NFL purposes). So is he the answer to the Jets problems? Maybe he's that athletic guy who can open up the middle for someone like Q to dominate. He's going to need to improve on his bend...he's currently inconsistent coming off the edge using the speed to get around tackles AND closing in to get sacks. He's definitely a guy who needs to be coached up and given more technique in order to tap into the potential. I think if you can improve on the base and power in his legs, he can become a good one here.

- So far I love that Joe has grabbed athletes as I've always felt the Jets have severely lacked those type of players. Even last year while i loved the defense, it still seemed a bit slower than other teams, although they played their asses off and played hard. On offense, there just needs to be more athletes period on that side of the ball. Becton and Mims are a great start.

- For the rest of the draft, I want Joe to grab another interior offensive linemen, particularly a guard who can sit and learn behind Van Roten, Lewis and Winters. Because likely redshirting a guy for a year, he maybe able to come in and start next year. Someone like Tyler Biadasz is still available. Also Netane Muti is a straight MAN, but injuries have dropped him to day 3.

- Grab another WR. I'm still a fan of Antonio Gandy-Golden...like I have a huge man crush on this kid, I still think he can be one of the steals in the draft. There's still GOOD WR prospects available, like Donovan Peoples-Jones, KJ Hill, and Tyler Johnson for example.

- Grab a TE. This is moreso insurance just in case Herndon doesn't pan out, although I still have high hopes for him. Moss is still around, who's more around a Dustin Keller-like frame. TE Albert Okwuegbunam is a more physically imposing TE with a large frame who can be intriguing in round 4. My favorite maybe Colby Parkinson, dude's 6'7" with a large frame and can catch.

- Grab a scat back to be behind Bell. I want one of those Austin Ekeler, smallish like RB's who just have mountains of energy but can just use their speed and shiftiness (and hands) to come out the backfield. Guys like Anthony McFarland from MAryland is a guy who's small but possesses blazing speed and has good hands.

- This is more of a favorite of mine, but grab QB Anthony Gordon, maybe a 6th rounder at this point. I love the anticipation, the moxxy, the way he can throw off platform...he doesn't have a GUN for an arm but I feel he has enough arm talent to make all the throws. Easily my favorite QB out of the ones left.

There's always room for another CB and NT as well.

#1 Mogriffjr, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  2. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

A so far, some great picks and trades. Only knock for me was that there was better talent on the board for the Zuniga (and arguably Davis) pick.

3. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Im ok with picks 1 and 2....the rest im kind of dissapointed with.

4. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Good write up, I believe Gandy Golden is going to be the steal of this draft of all the WRs taken.

I get what Joe is doing, Jets are devoid of talent so he has to strike a balance between the unpolished but high ceiling player or a plug and play guy who is at his ceiling.

Baun vs Jabari is a good example, Baun is ready to play in the NFL, but he is only 235lbs we have already been through that experiment with Darron Lee.

Jabari has the same size, speed, versatility that Mark Gastineau had, Greg Williams plays a hybrid 3-4/4-3 defense, I don’t think Baun is suited for a hybrid defense where Jabari is.

I read somewhere Jets are going to play a little more zone this year because of their lack of skilled CB, that makes the drafting of Jabari a pass rusher and another DB Davis to complement a Poole, Mayes, Adams when Adams is close to LOS, that much more important.

JD has a blueprint for this team and I’m starting to like what I’m seeing.

Just give me Gandy Golden and I will be a happy Jets fan.

5. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Give me good, productive football players who fill the most pressing needs on the team. They're all athletic at this level. Some highly questionable picks in Round 3.

amuck57 and matt robinson 17 like this.
  6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Way too early to grade the picks IMO. Gotta wait at least two years. I'm warming up to our 3rd rounders. First 2 picks, I have no issue with.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

Agree with most. I don’t get the 3rd pick but now understand why. But still, other position needs, was a priority for me. But moving on I still trust Joe. Today’s extra picks could be huge for the team. This is where Joe excels so we re going to let him conquer and see how it pans out. Key is we need players can play as opposed to 1 or 2 year guys gonna don’t produce like the previous drafts.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  8. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

all of the guys are fast (even Mt. Becton considering his size)

And we are seeing a theme consistent with what he said he's looking for, e.g., OL who are disciplined. Guys seem to be scheme fits. I'll admit I'm still trying to figure out Davis

I have no idea who he'll focus on next and 100% ok with that.

NCJetsfan and Mogriffjr like this.
  9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Like becton and mims. Not sure about Davis. Dude can’t tackle.
    Reserved optimism on the Zuniga pick.

matt robinson 17 likes this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Do we grade against the league or former Jets GM's?

MJK likes this.
  11. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I like the first two, 3rd rounders seem iffy, but hoping for the best on them. If the Jets hit on rounds 1&2, everything else is gravy. You get a couple impact players who stick around after a few years beyond round two and you've had a great draft. In recent history the Jets have busted hard on round 2 and even their first rounders didn't pan out like we expected. Hopefully we see a change there.

12. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hard to grade the draft but I think Douglas had the board graded properly. He seemed very comfortable making moves that would net him a player with similar draft grades while adding value. The draft went without panic moves or falling in love with guys. Over time that will pay dividends.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. #28Martin

#28Martin Well-Known Member

Dude can’t tackle? He crushes people, they say he hits like a linebacker.

14. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

B

The two trade backs were excellent. They don’t need Davis or Zuniga to be studs, but if they can be rotational contributors, the draft has the potential to be an A.

This draft would be deemed a success if Mims and Becton are future long term starters, but they must get better contributions from their mid round selections. I can’t wait to see what Joe does with the three 4th rounders.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. #28Martin

The bottom line is this. The safety was ranked the 42 best player on the site I looked at. And a reputable one like a ESPN, I just can’t remember which one. They picked him after 42, close to 70 so what the heck are we complaining about?

K'OB likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

JetsNation06 and FJF like this.
  17. #28Martin

68. Jets: S Ashtyn Davis, California
    Grade: A-. Injured during the pre-draft process, but he's an impact safety with serious speed and range from center field. Hits like a linebacker. Good instincts too. Smooth athlete. Maybe insurance if Jamal Adams is moved?

CBS above

18. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Now that I've had a night to digest it all, I really think Joe D is kicking ass in this draft and this offseason.

We came out of last year with a horrible offensive line, no weapons, an iffy secondary, and no pass rusher.

So far we have completely revamped our offensive line. We added a MONSTER left tackle in round 1. We grabbed an awesome weapon in round 2. Signed Perriman in free agency. Two new weapons for Darnold.

We grabbed a very fast and versatile defensive back. We got a 3rd round pass rusher with HUGE upside. And now we have 3 more picks in the 4th round.

Hard to argue his approach. And all the players he's taken have a huge potential to become day 1 starters.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I personally like Ashtyn pick, but for a different reasons.

I for one don't think Adams will be moved. [That would be stupid.] Nor do I think Maye will be gone.

With Cheating Tom gone, Belicheat WILL resort to all kind of cheating schemes with TEs rubbing and shit. Good slot cornerback is a must, but also multiple safeties that can cover TEs are a must as well. Now we have that in Adams/Maye/Davis.

==============================

I am a bit on the borderline with Zuniga pick. He does look raw, that's for certain. However, if anybody can make a fierce pass rusher out of him, that someone is Gregg Williams. With Gregg in the picture, just maybe Zuniga will explode from the edges in short time frame. [Or that's what I am hoping.]

20. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

maybe he uses the hit stick too often? All or nothing

K'OB and FJF like this.