Welcome to the Jets Ashtyn Davis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Apr 24, 2020.

1. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

true enough, but i don't think they're looking for an Adams doppleganger. i should have been clearer probably

if we pay Adams HUGE money it will set this team back. He needs to come to his senses. And if he want to chase the last nickel i am sure someone will outbid us and i won't cry
    If Adams takes a reasonable contract i'll be a super fan; Tom brady took contracts at 66% of value and team benefitted big time

i think he may be hoping the front 7 is tough and the safeties and CBs are fast and tough. makes more sense to me in pass happy NFL

Brook! and jonnyd like this.
  2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am inclined to think that, JD and GW worked over this pick. I think we will warm up to this kid in a foreseeable future. One gripe over Maye is indeed he is too often injured. That problem won't plague the backfield any more.

3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

I think they wanted Hennessy but the Falcons grabbed him.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

JD thought they got a guy who had a similar toolset in Christian but that contract didn’t get worked out. Did any of us feel he was Adams or Maye’s replacement then? This guy will be filling a similar role...he’s the backup for Adams and Maye and can fill in in 3rd safety looks because this guy can fly and he’s a good cover guy.

chandler likes this.
  5. Mogriffjr

Pre-Draft Analysis
    Davis didn't run at the combine, but he's rangy and has the potential to develop into a center fielder based on the tape. He started three games at corner in 2016 and has good cover skills for a safety. He had seven solo tackles against Oregon, flashing the potential to develop into an effective run-stopper, but he needs to be more consistent. -- Steve Muench

Post-Draft Analysis
    The first two Jets picks were all about helping QB Sam Darnold, whereas Davis adds a wrinkle to what is an increasingly, oh, let's call it "interesting" situation in the defensive backfield, as Jamal Adams' long-term future with the franchise remains a question. Davis is a safety with the track-star athleticism of a cornerback, so he's not some Adams doppelganger but is more a high-upside play for Gregg Williams to develop. You'll see Davis return kicks, too. -- Chris Sprow

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Exactly. If you get a solid depth/rotational player who returns kicks well with a 3rd round pick then its a good selection - especially when most of our 3rd round picks aren't even in football a couple of years later.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

this guys is better

he is either one of our next safeties. or JD feels like others have said we now have a big corner who can also run

i'm way more intrigued by this guy than upset

Pepsiguy5 and Mogriffjr like this.
  8. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

HATE it. Makes little sense. Would have gone for one of the centers here.

9. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Too bad kick returners are irrelevant now with so many touchbacks

10. Mogriffjr

mcGovern is only 26, not like he’s old my any means.
    I think if anything, you try to find a hidden gem at guard. Lewis is a bit older, Van Roten is 30 and Winters May not last this year, and def next year.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

Yea. Except of course when its very cold during playoffs weather. Where hopefully we will be soon.

12. jets21027

jets21027 Active Member

Wasn’t sure about this pick at first but we can’t sign both Adams and Maye sounds like he will take Mayes place in a yr

13. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

So going for a super athletic guy that can play CB makes little sense but going for a center when we have a very good 26-year-old center under contract was the right move?

NCJetsfan and Mogriffjr like this.
  14. rammagen

rammagen Well-Known Member

Sure and there were reports that something shady was accused of being done like his trainer was making money from the team and other types of Compensation not listed as salary. Lets not make brady a saint for taking less money when this was happening and his wife is a super model making more then him.
    Players need to get paid while they can I dont blame them for making the most they can. You and I try to do it when we go to work. The bottom line is the market will dictate what he makes nothing you or I write will make a difference. He is a young player who is arguably the best player on the team regardless of position and we drafted him so you do not let young players walk for nothing because you want to try to sign someone elses player at what you deem is a more important position. At a certain point you need to sign your own drafted players especially young good players.
    Does he impact games for the positive and make plays, does he elevate the defensive unit, if you answer yes then we should resign him.

15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Yeah, I was surprised when they announced the pick, but IMO the jets want Davis as starting free safety in 2021, if not sooner. Marcus Maye has been hurt a lot, and Maye dropped a sure INT which would sealed the 2019 opener against the Bills. I think drafting Davis means that the jets ARE going to extend Adams big time, and plan to move on from Maye after this year. They don't want to sign two safeties to big money contracts at approximately the same time, especially when Maye has an injury history.

16. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

This pick IMO means Adams gets big money extension and Maye is done after 2020 with jets.

Mogriffjr and RochesterJet like this.
  17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I think everyone is severely overthinking this pick and what it means for Maye or Adams. First off he’s not a single thing like Adams so I wouldn’t even bother wasting time trying to connect those dots. Second, he can play multiple positions. Third... maybe we wait and see how he plays before shipping off Maye?

18. truthbtold

truthbtold Well-Known Member

We already have the best safety in the league.
    If your argument is that we want him to play corner, then draft a corner.
    That said ... you make a decent point about McGovern.
    But he's a 5th round pick who's started 36 games in 4 years ... and a little more than half of them were at center.
    The jury is still out on him, AND we can use him at guard as well.

EDIT - If he's here to eventually replace Maye, you're right, and I don't hate it as much.

#58 truthbtold, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
  19. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Fuck whatever Rex Ryan said post 2010

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

I hate reading about Maye being hurt a lot.

He has not been hurt a lot.

He started all 16 games as a rookie.
    He started all 16 games as a 3rd year player last year.

One banged up 2nd season doesn't make him "injury prone" as it's Football and injures happen (to them all).

The ONLY problem with Marcus Maye, is his age. He is 3 years older than Jamal Adams @ 27 compared to only 24.

Joe Douglas is not going to want to give a soon to be 30 year old FS a big contract when by the time his contract is over he'd be well over the age of 30.

Other than his age, Marcus Maye is awesome.

tomdeb and Mogriffjr like this.