Welcome to the Jets, Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CotcheryFan, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Loved this too! Funny how we all thought that fat dude with the gray tee was Becton when it first aired.

As long as Becton don't show up to TC in 3 years looking like his dad we'll be in great shape!

2. ManchesterChris

ManchesterChris New Member

Well, it was past 2.30am when the eleventh pick was revealed but it was worth waiting up for. I have to say that, given the circumstances, it was an extremely professional show, much better than we put on for our iconic sports events over here in the UK. We don't have drafts, as you know, but maybe we should as it's a compelling television event in its own right.

In my early days of following the NFL, the biggest personality was William Perry so it's fair to say I have a fascination for huge, mobile linemen. Perhaps Mekhi could have a second career as a fullback too. Sad that the once invincible Refrigerator hit hard times and is in a nursing home. He was instrumental in popularizing the NFL in the eighties over here and he's fondly remembered. So you can imagine my pleasure when we drafted huge, quick Becton this morning. He towers over his parents who aren't exactly lightweights themselves. I'm no expert but it seems to me the best first round option for us. Look forward to him knocking a few over when the season eventually starts. Assume another offensive lineman or WR in the second round? Another late night tonight....Hope you're all safe and well.

Vida, Freddy Mondo, NCJetsfan and 4 others like this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

If he gets her pregnant that baby is going to be born with scholarship offers to every school in the country

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I think we're really lucky that both tackles (Wills/Becton) were still on the board at 9 (Jacksonville). I think Wills and Becton were the 2 tackles Joe needed to get one of. With Cleveland drafting at 10, one pick ahead of the Jets, and in desperate need of a tackle too, we really needed both of these guys to be on the board.

If the Giants had taken Wills #4 (they took Thomas instead), leaving only Becton, Joe would have traded up to 9 with Jacksonville to get Becton ahead of Cleveland. Getting a top tackle was THAT important to JD. I really believe that.

When the Gmen took Thomas at 4, and watching DBs and DLs come off the board (along with Herbert and Tua) I was getting really excited/nervous the closer it got to our pick. I REALLY wanted Becton w/o having to trade up for him.

Most mocks had Becton going to Cleveland at 10, so when they took Wills, I was jumping for joy. I yelled to my wife "WE'RE GETTING BECTON!!!"

I know Becton needs great coaching to reach his potential. But I feel much better having JoeD as GM, a former lineman, then say MacCagnan who wouldn't know good coaching if it punched him in his coffee sipping face.

Joe Douglas will NOT let his first NFL pick fail.

5. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

6. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Also players who can play multiple positions.

8. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Just remember that Vlad Ducasse was a bad pick from the moment the Jets took him. He was a huge ungainly OT from a school that nobody in their right minds drafts from. UMass was Mike Tannenbaum's alma mater and we paid a heavy price for his fixation with Ducasse.

Louisville is an NFL-caliber school and while Becton has a similar frame to Ducasse he also is widely seen as graceful and powerful for his size. The reason Douglas took him is that he wanted a first round talent at OT and Becton was the one who was left at 11. Wirfs could well wind up inside at the NFL level.

I would say the odds are fairly good that Becton was #2 on the Jets list behind Jedrick Wills and getting your #2 overall at pick 11 is pretty good.

Side note: I didn't want Becton either due to multiple non-talent related red flags but I'm happy Joe D got his guy. He's the one who knows OL. :)

9. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

I really like this pick. Though I wasn't sure that he'd fall to the Jets , when it happened you knew where JD was going to go with it. Whatever position he settles in , Becton improves the line by quite a large factor - running and pass blocking. - 33 games at LSU and not one penalty?

There's no doubt who the RB is going to run behind on most of the run calls....let the pancaking begin.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Becton has a really cool family, his dad is a fucking monster, we need him to play guard

NCJetsfan, The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

I been watching Football most of my adult life and I have never seen a lineman like Becton tossing defenders out of the way like that!! Its like Mr. Transformer vs the Tonka Toys ahahaha.
    What a relief we have JD's skills. research versus Mac and his Cliff Notes:p

SOJAZ likes this.
  12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

guess its an OK pick.....not worried about the weed angle to his story. as dick haley once told me - i don't care if he (sapp) has a garden full of plants, he is a good football player)

bigger concerns are the weight and if in the next 2 weeks he comes down with covid after all the hugging last evening.

honestly i was hoping for thomas for the OT.

13. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

so can you imagine short yardage and goal line with Becton and Fant (as an extra OL) on one side; that arrangement alone will affect the game as the opponent will need to line up accordingly

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I more excited to see him get out on a safety or a corner on a screen and seeing a guy quit football mid play.

Ralebird, jonnyd, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  15. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I wanted a WR like Lamb or Jeudy, but you truly can't argue with Becton. He will protect Sam, he will open up running lanes for Bell, and the Jets can still get a starting WR tonight. It was the right move. Sam needs weapons, but he can't even get the ball to his weapons if he isn't protected.

AlexJETS and dmw like this.
  17. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

You don't have to wait.

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/j...on-looks-like-a-giant-among-boys-on-the-field

1:22 Mark. Absolutely demolishes the DB. The clip actually comes in tandem with Douglas saying he loves how he consistently knocks people off their feet.

Then, to add insult, Becton falls on the DB.

NCJetsfan, Footballgod214 and FJF like this.
  18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I love these videos just as much as the next guy but can you find me a single worthy DE/DT/LB that he's throwing off their path? I'm asking this honestly. I know close to nothing about Louisville football in general so I don't know how they performed outside of the box score against legit teams like Clemson, Florida State, Notre Dame.

19. WoodyHarrelson

WoodyHarrelson Well-Known Member

Speaks volumes we drafted him over Wirfs. Maybe Wirfs is purely a RT?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Vlad was an OT in college and was drafted to play guard at the next level. It was a reach pick. There are a lot of good players from small schools in the NFL. I think that ignoring small schools with mediocre football programs for NFL teams during the draft is insane. Victor Cruz went to U Mass. The NFL has an amazing amount of really good players that went to second and third tier programs.

Rex and Mike drafted Kyle Wilson, Vlad, Joe McNight and John Conner in that draft. There's a reason Mike was canned. Can't blame that on U Masses football program.

Drafting a project guard in the 2nd round might have been the problem.

NCJetsfan, Imagesrdecieving and dmw like this.