Welcome to the Jets, Mekhi Becton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by CotcheryFan, Apr 23, 2020.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Love the pick! Mekhi Becton is a monster. So happy he fell to the Jets. Everyone should love the pick! Well.......except for pacifists. ;)

LAJet, papapump, Vida and 3 others like this.
  2. J_P_5

J_P_5 Member

Great pic JD now the offense can be special

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

His girlfriend made a post on Instagram congratulating him. In the post she mentions that Mekhi is battling and beating addiction.... she doesn’t mention what he is addicted to but failing a drug test makes me think drugs. But it could be food I guess

egelband likes this.
  4. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Might have been sarcasm at the front of this thread, but anyone who thinks this kid is fat at this point just isn't correct. This is from
    Yeah, this is wild. I'm hoping it's just weed.

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan and MoWilkBeast like this.
  5. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

I worded food addiction wrong I kind of meant more like an eating disorder. I think it’s possible he has some kind of obsession with staying fit. He is like 17 percent body fat which is crazy for his size. He is no fatty by any means.

I hope it’s something Douglas knew about because as a player he seems like a good fit

egelband likes this.
  6. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

That first part of my post wasn't responding to you - it was actually a remnant from something I was typing earlier earlier, forgot about, and never posted, then it showed up now when I replied to you.

This is the picture I was going to post with it, though - from exactly a month ago. I mean this is not a fat man by any stretch, just a monster of a human being.

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Addiction? Say what now? Why do I feel like the Jets somehow didn't know about this?

8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

I went from a Wirfs and Jeudy guy to a Becton and Lamb guy in the last two weeks; I'm good with the pick. I hope this screwed up season doesn't mess with his conditioning much because he supposedly has a tendency to bulk up; he needs to stay mobile. Staff has their work cut out for them.

How are his hands? I want to see this guy eligible and catch ten passes this season; who the hell is going to bring him down?

Freddy Mondo and egelband like this.
  9. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Don't really understand how any Jets fan can be unhappy with this pick. Concerned maybe, or having a reasonable nagging doubt for sure, but unhappy no. The dude is a monster, has a ton of potential and could be off the chart good and fills a massive need too. Now go an snag a potential WR1 on day 2 JD. The draft couldn't really have fallen much better for the Jets so far.

10. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Yeah, we're over a hundred posts here and while not everyone would have made him the pick I haven't seen any that have a problem with it. Could be a first!

egelband likes this.
  11. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Ha well I’m hesitant to be negative, but I have to admit if you look at what I’ve been saying, he was not my preferred guy. I am aware that he could be truly incredible due to his upside but I just don’t like to take guys who need so much technique refinement. I think the issue is I would have preferred to trade back, but ultimately how can I know if there were suitors offering a decent deal? I just have to be happy with the upside and remind myself that 2021 is the year we’re shooting for so a year of refinement is not a big deal.

egelband and NCJetsfan like this.
  12. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I just listened to the Around the League Podcast post-Draft episode, and I’m assuming he’s in the know because Greg Rosenthal did say it was for sure just marijuana in his flagged drug test. So that does ease my concern as well.

13. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

as a lifetime lifter dont judge only by that because if you have very long arms a bench press is twice has hard , thats why you see guards rocking way more reps then tackles mostly same like jadaveon clowney he is very strong but so long its hard to build reps on that combine exercise the distance the weight moves is much bigger the longer your frame.

14. RubenDias

RubenDias Well-Known Member

i hope this pick works out i just tought there were too many red flags ( weed test , some teams said his knees wont hold up his frame and less polished then all the other tackles, with that said he was by far the more talented lineman of this 4 if he works out he is top 10 in the league guaranteed so i guess joe Douglas is a risk taker.

15. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Joe Thomas knows a thing or two about playing OT. He ranks Becton as the best of the 4 OT prospects and Wirfs the worst. Looks like Douglas made the right call.

egelband likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

It would me. Unless Douglas was just blowing smoke, he knows that Sam needs better WRs to throw to. The WRs available in the 3rd round are a tier below those who will go in the 2nd. That is more important than adding another IOL.

17. NCJetsfan

18. NCJetsfan

19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

And, above all, I trust JD to make the right call on which OL to go with. I wouldn't say that about another position or another GM, but I think he's forgotten more about playing on the line than I will ever know - I was thinking Wirfs as #1 so what do I know. Becton's raw, he's a risk, but if a former OL as GM doesn't know which tackle to take and doesn't have an issue with him technically (or at least his ability to improve) then I sure don't.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He’s not exactly dwarfing her. Who’s her agent?