2020 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 23, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

2. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

With our receiver situation as it is going CB in the 1st round is criminal negligence. Go out and get Logan Ryan if you have to. We still have Bless Austin. We signed Desir. This is year three for Sam Darnold. If I'm him I'm thinking...where's my weapons? Where's my protection? Does this franchise know what it's doing and do I want to be here?

NCJetsfan and SOJAZ like this.
  3. NCJetsfan

Sorry, we usually agree, but I must disagree with you in this instance. Yes, he is on the hook for developing the whole team, but this team has been obsessed with drafting D for the last 15 years or more. The team is way out of balance. If he doesn't like the remaining OT or any of the 2nd tier OTs, fine, as long as me moves on to WR where there is a HUGE need. The need at CB is nowhere near as great as at WR. In addition, Logan Ryan is still out there and Douglas could sign him to shore up the CB position. There are no WRs of Logan Ryan's ability level out there that Douglas can sign. The Defense already plays at a very high level. The offense has the worst talent in the NFL and was the worst offense in the NFL. The defense doesn't have to have an elite CB to play at a very high level. If it has a strong pass rush and 3-4 capable CBs, they can be a very strong D.

This offseason still has to be about developing Sam. He needs to be protected and he needs quality WRs to throw to. A CB will not help at all, nor will an edge. IMO the first 4 picks should all be used on offense. If Douglas wants to take an Edge and CB with two of his remaining picks from the 4th round on, fine. Even if he doesn't get an OT, he needs to take at least 2 WR, one or two IOL, of if only one IOL, then a RB, gadget player/return man or a backup QB.

If Douglas takes a defensive player with the #1 pick, then it will not be a great draft imo, regardless of who he takes, and that applies to even Okudah or Young. If the Jets had shown balance in the draft over the last 10-20 years and had comparable talent on offense as defense, things were more normal or equal, and there were no glaring holes, then sure, you go with the BPA. This isn't that situation, however. Competitive balance must be restored and Sam must get a chance to develop; otherwise, we'll be starting over in a year or two looking for another FQB.

Compared with the glaring needs on the OL and WR and the lack of talent on offense, CB IS a nothing position.

#83 NCJetsfan, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    PulseJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally concur with shifting focus on the offense. 100%. I have been saying that all year. My point is simply you don’t overreach for a tackle or anyone else with the first pick. You select the absolute best at a position of need or trade down. It’s just to valuable. I’m confident JDs picks this year will be very, very offense centric.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Haven't been on here in months. It's been too long!

My gut as of writing says we end up with Becton, which I'm not all that happy with if we're being honest. I hope one of the other options fall to us. If not, I think I'd rather WR at 11 and maybe even try to trade back into R1 for maybe Ezra?

James Hasty likes this.
  6. PulseJet

PulseJet Well-Known Member

Its gonna be Jedrick Wills with the first pick, a WR like Tee Higgins or Michael Pittman in the second, but it wouldnt surprise me if Douglas selects a guy like Edwards-Helaire Rd 2 if he thinks there is WR value in the 3rd round. I would love if he went OL, WR, RB, WR. Then D and more OL depth.

If the top-3 OL are gone and Joe Douglas selects Becton, I'll trust that he sees something in him beyond a combine warrior. I dont think Douglas panics and takes Becton unless he sees him as a day 1 starter. So I wont steam if he is picked.

It would be a very Jet like thing to do to select Defense in the first, but something tells me Douglas wont do that this year. It will be 4 off and 2 Def picks, unless the Jets make trades to decrease/increase their picks.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If Henderson makes the pro bowl do you come crawling back later?

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IMO, CB is NOT a "position of need", it's a "position of desired improvement". Big difference. Of course that's just my opinion, and Douglas is only opinion that counts.

NCJetsfan, Imagesrdecieving and LAJet like this.
  9. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are right, we agree to disagree. Young and Okuda in my opinion are head and shoulders more valuable than any tackle on the draft. We can sign Trent with a later pick and be far far ahead, team wise. That is a mute point However because neither will be there, and Young would never ever go past the Giants at 3 non withstanding all the need at OL.
    You know I am in favor of WR or OL and offense heavy but I’m not reaching for either.
    Will know soon enough.

10. ColoradoContrails

Nope. I won't care. Henderson may make the Pro Bowl, but he'll be one of the few Jets playing past the regular season.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Joe Douglas has to be the luckiest guy on earth. There's almost guaranteed to be somebody the Jets need at #11 and there are real trade-down options if not and most importantly it's going to be impossible to virtually boo the pick effectively no matter what he does.

I do expect some clown to put up a big BOOOOOO!!!!! on twitter when the pick gets made but it ain't gonna be the same thing.

My gut is telling me that blueberry pancakes and bacon is a great way to eat after waking up at crack of 3PM...

12. NCJetsfan

I didn't say anything about reaching. So that's a non-issue, and I don't understand why you're talking about that. When you have a desperate need at a position, and it is one of the 3 most important positions on a football team, taking the BPA at that position is not reaching. Even adding Becton (unless he busts, which I doubt would happen) would help Sam and the team more than adding Okudah or Young. Young might raise the play of the D to another level, but we've already seen Jets teams with great Ds hold other teams to under 17 points and lose because our offense couldn't score. Okudah would not make that much difference in the level of play of our D to compensate for Sam continuing to struggle because he didn't have adequate protection or didn't have an elite playmaker.

Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

Here's the reality...so many of us are basing our preferences on player profiles and "guru" analyses, not just of potential draftees but of the current roster. Sure some are more expert than others, but no one here - unless we have Joe Douglas with a secret account - knows enough to really know what's best for this team. With that said, and despite decades of being burned by the ignorance of Jets GMs and their staff, I"m holding out hope that JD has a sound plan and will draft to it. If in fact he does have a "blueprint" and builds the team based upon that, I'll be happy, even if the picks he makes (and possible trades for players) aren't what I think he should do, and yes even if he drafts a fucking CB or other "D" player with the first pick.

What's really the most important thing is for this team to finally have a sound foundation which it has lacked since at least Parcells left.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  14. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

I think it's Becton or more likely Lamb, which would be disappointing because I like Wirfs, Wills & Jeudy better.

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

16. fansince90

fansince90 Well-Known Member

He promised the Darnolds that he would protect Sam. If he doesn’t Sam will miss a lot of games...again...with some kind of illness/injury...whether it be real or otherwise. He will come back, stink, get traded or released before his rookie contract is over and then lead the Pats to 10 more Superbowls.

17. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

I'm big on Edwards-Helaire. Really like his game and think he would be a great complement/replacement for Bell.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

You are a TRUE Jets fan!:p

19. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Something very good is going to happen. Despite our history I'm always confident in these moments...though I understand that's just me and it's not based on any previous pattern.

They'll make an appropriate selection, someone will actually fall and it will be a coup, or they'll trade back and end up with someone appropriate (or maybe even a faller that we were considering taking even without a trade) AND add more picks.

[​IMG]

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

I like him a lot as well, but not enough to bypass taking an OL or WR in the 2nd round. There are other good RB prospects in the draft, and our need at OL and WR are too strong. Besides, I don't see him as a full-time starting RB. I see him as a complementary type RB that one would use perhaps in a RB by committee approach.