OT - the next tier and trading down to the late teens

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rscherwin, Apr 19, 2020.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

So you are afraid to blow an extra third rounder to get the best interior lineman in the draft but you want to use the # 11 overall pick for an offensive tackle?

Talk about penny wise pound foolish.

Besides, I was talking about trading all the way down to # 26 and adding extra picks.

dawinner127 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Apparently per Daniel Jeremiah, Austin Jackson USC might go a lot higher then predicted ... Damien Woody seems to like him, but Jackson is a baby.

3. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I know you didn't. I was just responding to the idea of trading up in general, not you specifically.

4. NCJetsfan

I'm not afraid. It's just a dumb idea. You don't know that the IOL you trade up for will be the best IOL in the draft. He could wind up being a bust, or being the worst. It's not likely, but there have been lots of surprises before. It's nothing of the kind (penny wise, pound foolish). It's just your bizarro-world view of everything.

I was just speaking generally about trading up, and I responded to dawinner's post, not yours. I wasn't even speaking to you or anyone specifically, but now that you mention it, your idea is dumb. Why would we trade down and take a C? We just signed Connor McGovern. We have 2-3 guys that can play C. Ruiz is a great prospect, but there are great/very good prospects available at positions of need. We only have two OTs on the roster who could possibly start, and both have huge question marks. We need an OT, we don't necessarily need an IOL. The whole idea of trading down for a IOL when we need an OT or WR is just dumb.

5. NCJetsfan

I hope some dumb team (not the Jets) will take him early. That will push down other, better prospects to us.

JetsNation06 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

My bad.

I thought since we crushed them with ease just a few months ago we were a better team.

In fact go back and watch that game if you wanna know why Dallas would LOVE to get Adams. He single handedly destroyed their offense.

7. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Crushed them? We won by 2 points on the final play to stop them. They were also missing both of their starting ALLPRO tackles and we didn't score more than 3 points in the 2H. Not sure what game you watched, but I sure as hell remember. LMAO

EDIT - They also lost Amari Cooper for the game early.

8. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I watched the game where we rolled up a 21-3 HT lead then coasted to a 24-22 victory. sealed by a Jamal Adams blitz right up the gut. We shut them out for 3 quarters. They took some chances in the 4th plus 20 BS PI flags in a row the zebras through at the Jets that kept all their drives alive. I know they had some injuries, but the Jets had far more.

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Whatever helps you sleep at night...

10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I would do it. You’d essentially have trade Williams and a 2 for a 1 and a future 5 while gaining control of another pick for 5 instead of 4 years. That would be a no brained if there’s a prospect we really like.

11. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

If we trade down with a team like Atlanta and grab Becton because of his failed test that’s a win.

if we do trade back that’s most likely the target.

12. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

do you think isaiah wilson ( Ga ) will be there when we pick in the 2nd

13. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's possible but I think he'll go early in the 2nd.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I think something like this would be perfect. Move down a bit, and still get one of the top linemen this year.

I was running through the draft value chart, and it looks like the Jets could trade 11+79+158 for 15+47+134. Three picks in the top 50 would be huge.

15. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Definitely agree on the trading down and getting Jones. You get more meat for the grinder that way.

The 17 and 51 for Adams has been rumored a lot although both J Jones and Douglas threw cold water on the Adams trade vibes this week so it was probably not ever a hot topic between them.

16. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The other consideration in Adams trade talks *after* you take into account the ones you made above is that the Jets should definitely re-purpose some assets from defense to offense if they can to support Darnold. Maccagnan was highly negligent in the way he acquired and supported Darnold and Adams is the best shot to make a sweeping move to fix that damage.

This is year 3 for Darnold and the Jets have done almost nothing to help him progress before this year. Bell was an encumbrance given that he is also reliant on the OL and on having a passing game that stretches the field. Roethlisberger was a deadly midrange QB in Bell's big years in Pittsburgh.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

Perhaps, but I'd be willing to bet the top 4 OTs and Jones would all be gone by #15. That's too high to take Cleveland, and may be too high to take Jefferson, so you could wind up in no man's land and not be able to fill either need (OT or WR).

18. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

The whole premise of the trade is that Joe Douglas thinks Becton is falling to 15. I happen to think even if he started to fall a bit, Becton is gone by 14 to TB.

19. NCJetsfan

Exactly. TB is going to take one of the top 5 OTs. I'm not a betting man, but if I were, I'd bet my last dollar on that. I don't think Becton or Jones will be there at #15, have no use for Jackson, and #15 is too high to take Cleveland. That would be a big reach. Since there are never any guarantees that a player you want will be there when you trade down, one is rolling the dice. If you don't have glaring holes/needs and like other players likely to be available at that spot, fine, trade down and maybe you get lucky. If, OTOH, you do have a glaring hole and a desperate need for that player, you don't get cute or greedy, you stay put and take that player at your pick.