2020 NFL Draft - Round 1 Discussions

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 23, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes. We don't need to take stinking CB in the 1st round. A team does not need a topflight CB if they have a very good pass rush and a good scheme. Even with the crappy CBs we had last year, our D played pretty darn well. With another year's experience, the addition of Desir, having Austin healthy and knowing the D, and maybe adding Ryan, we don't need to really take a CB at all until next year.

If I take CeeDee in the first, I'm going OL in the 2nd. It would probably be Isaiah Wilson who at least could probably beat out Edoga at RT and solidify that spot.

I disagree that there's a lot of talent at edge in this draft. I think only three have the potential to be elite pass rushers: Young, Chaisson and Robinson, and any of those three, or all three could wind up being busts. I think the rest will be decent pass rushers, but nothing special.

Of the WRs you mentioned the only ones I'd want aside from CeeDee, are Higgins, PIttman and Claypool. Just because there's a lot of talent at a position doesn't meant that if you get the change to take the best one from that group that you pass. The Jets' WRs have sucked for decades. It's time we get a star, an elite playmaker. I'm sick of having pedestrian WRs that were taken in the middle rounds.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

Fant is penciled in as LT for next three seasons. Becton or any OT we take will have plenty of time to develop.

3. NCJetsfan

If you say that to mean that it justifies taking a CB, no, it doesn't.

4. NCJetsfan

His weight issues aren't going to cause him any problems this season. I forget his name, but the Patriots had an LT for one season that was about the same size as Becton, and he played so well, that he signed a big contract in FA and AFAIK is still playing well.

Becton's size is also positive. It makes it a lot harder to get around him, and he has very long arms and is agile and athletic even at his size. Where his weight will start hurting is in about 3-5 years, maybe more. Anyone who takes him off their draft list is making a big mistake. I have some concerns with him, but not enough not to draft him.

5. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

His contract is 1 year guaranteed.

SOJAZ likes this.
  6. Jaybranch23

Jaybranch23 Active Member

Henderson is flying up the draft board - he won’t be there at 11. I just worry that we take Becton - he has a more than good chance to bust. Combine warriors get me very nervous.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You’re thinking of Nate Solder probably. Be played LT for the Pats for years, signed a huge deal with the Giants two seasons ago and they already are looking at moving on.

Maybe I won’t go as far as saying he’s on my do not draft list but if it’s between him and either of the two WRs, it’s not even a question in my mind. Take Lamb and run.

Edit: Maybe you meant Trent Brown? Still TBD on that guy. Im noticing a trend of guys succeeding on the Pats OL and not so much afterwards...

8. Martin&theJETS

Martin&theJETS Well-Known Member

It doesn’t matter how good he is. Nothing matters if Sam isn’t protected and doesn’t have weapons.

The Giants went out and got an RB, QB, and now OT most likely.

Watch what the Dolphins do with their 1st rounders this year.

The Bills traded away a 1st for a WR.

All of these teams are building offense. Taking a DT and then a CB in the 1st round after Darnold is going full retard.

9. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

We do have an out for Fant after this season but he’s on a 3 year deal. I expect that to hinge on his play obviously and the development of the tackle we select if we do grab one.

10. NCJetsfan

No, it isn't Solder. It's Trent Brown. He's 6'8" 360 lbs. and isn't as athletic as Becton.

I can understand taking Lamb and running. I love Lamb's potential. If they're both there, I will be torn. With all of our holes, trading down might be the best move, but I'd have a hard time getting as excited about Josh Jones and a player in the 3rd round as I would Lamb or Becton. Becton scares me a little, but his talent is tantalizing.

#70 NCJetsfan, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  11. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Happy CJ Henderson day fellas

Get ready for some of the Jets media sheep to tell us “ Fans need to calm down this was a great pick” “ He was a top 10 talent” “ gotta trust Joe D”

But the reality is Sam will be once again be left with nothing while the defense gets everything and does nothing with it.

Josh Allen, Baker and all other young QBs will continue to be given protection and weapons while we rot in an eternity of BPA and busts.

I hope I’m wrong, I want to be happy tonight, I want to be hopeful for the future.

SOJAZ and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

1 thomas 1a lamb

SOJAZ likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Spot on. It's amazing how some posters just don't get it. You'd think that they had never watched football before and had no inkling of what the Jets' draft history has been like, what the team's needs are, or what the game is like in the NFL today. Taking a CB in the 1st round, no matter how good, would be totally stupid. Teams don't need an elite CB. They need a great pass rush, and 3-4 good CBs. Even elite CBs can only stay with their man for a little over 3 seconds, and most teams have 2-3 WRs who can get open, a TE who can, and maybe a RB who is a good receiver as well.

The Jets haven't drafted an OL in the 1st round since 2006. They've only drafted one offensive player in the 1st round (Sanchez) over the last what 10-15 years. Keyshawn Johnson was the last WR they drafted in the 1st round. Their offense isn't even on par with a very good college team. This is an offensive league, and the Jets need balance. They have been obsessed with CBs and DTs and it has gotten them nowhere. Thinking it's acceptable to draft a CB in the 1st round is nothing short of insanity.

14. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I want Lamb although I started on the Jeudy train. My gut says we end up with an offensive lineman and that is fine with me.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

yep, went back and edited my post after I realized who you meant. I was gonna say, no Jet fan thinks Solder had only one good year with the Pats.

16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I think most everyone agrees with you, myself included, and no one knows that better than JD in my opinion. We all keep circling around the same topic over and over, all being equal, in favor of selecting a stud tackle with the first. Protect Sam. But he has to be there for us to take. You don’t snap your fingers and make it happen. If JD does not feel the left over tackle at 11 i.e Becton is worth it so be it. Move on to another much needed position. He is on the hook for developing the whole team and over reaching for a tackle that might not even start in 2020 is not the answer either, because that won’t do shit to protect Sam in 2020. He could strike at WR or elsewhere. I want to see the whole draft and the rest of free agency unfold before I get crazy one way or the other. We can not evaluate a great draft predicated just on the first pick and deem it a failure if it’s not offense. Many here are freaking out about CB like is a nothing position in defense. Williams could take this D to a different level with a top corner.

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Even if Williams took the defense to the level of the '86 Bears, it still wouldn't be enough to get to a SB let alone win one.It's an OFFENSE-DRIVEN league! You don't win without a great offense. And no, I'm not saying that you don't need any defense, but the Jets - and apparently many of their fans - seem to believe that "defense wins championships" and that's all they know. Look at the Jets draft record for the past 15 years and see the massive investment in defense they've made, and what has it got them? Nada! If they continue drafting this way, I'm done.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

My rational, logical side tells me that if one of the top 4 tackles is there, Douglas goes with him, or if he doesn't like that player, and Lamb or Jeudy are there he takes one of them, probably Lamb, but if all of those are gone, he trades back a few spots to pick up a 2nd or a 3rd and takes the best OT left or Ruggs.

But my 58 year Jets fandom gut tells me he takes Henderson or another defensive guy.:mad: If that happens, I'm probably done investing any more time and energy in this sinkhole.

SOJAZ, JetsNation06 and NCJetsfan like this.
  19. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Need to shift the focus to offense. We're not going anywhere if the offense is still stuck in the muck with a sieve line and inadequate receivers and a quarterback who's skittish and losing his confidence because he's on the run as soon as he gets the snap. No team will win like that even if we're able to bring the defense up to the next level. Last year even with devastating injuries we had the 16th ranked defense in football. That's actually good enough to win a Super Bowl with if you combine it with a great offense. The defense will improve a bit more this offseason and I look forward to maybe it being somewhere between 8th and 12th in the league. But what I need to see is the offense take a big leap

Too many games I can recall in the Rex era our defense went up to Foxboro and held NE to 13 points. New England had 230 TOTAL yards. We lost. Hold the TItans to 14 points...and lose. Don't want games like that any more

#79 JetsAreBadForYourHealth, Apr 23, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

In all honesty, there is no need to draft one single guy on the defense. Yes, that's an extreme approach and I don't recommend it, but if Douglas focused entirely on upgrading the offense the defense would be okay, good enough to win with. So the idea of taking a CB with the first pick it ludicrous...of course that's exactly why the Jets would do it.

NCJetsfan likes this.