Jamal Adams... (Merged)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by fansince90, Aug 20, 2017.

1. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Or the teams said to be interested in giving up multiple picks wouldnt if he weren't.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I agree. He wants to be paid and he deserves it. Just wish things were smooth between he and the Jets, but they are currently not. I also wish he would take a more leader-like approach to the team. He did last year, but has been mostly silent this off-season, making me think he is not fully committed to being a Jet.
    Yep. I agree with all of that too. I think it has come down to 2 options though: Extend him or trade him. He can't go into this season holding out or continuing to play on his rookie deal. Just would cause too many issues.

3. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately you can't tie up so much capital in a safety, this is starting to sound like another Revis situation, but the good news is right now his stock is really high, they could and should get a nice return for Adams.

Bottom line to be a successful team, you need players who think the team first, not themselves.

4. Passepartout

Passepartout Active Member

Yeah as people need to be team players, not me players!

Br4d likes this.
  5. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

money is not an issue for this team so it really comes down to whether or not he wants to be here - personally not particularly fussed if he takes his drama elsewhere and we get a decent return (but this being the Jets if its draft picks you just fear they are going to suck - given we are one of the worst if not the worst drafting team of the last decade)

6. Joe D MVP

Joe D MVP Active Member

New here, I’m really getting tired of Adams claiming to be all in as a jet then pulling these stunts.

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Cap problems with ditching Bell this year. Mac's gift that keeps giving...

8. Br4d

It's not just less work. Fewer full contact practices is fewer chances to catch a serious injury. For most players an injury leads to lost salary during the season.

All Gas No Shake and jonnyd like this.
  9. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

The new york jets have one player who played elite last year.

We've been nothing for 10 years.

You pay the man and when you have 5 or more blue chips players you look to see about what you can do.

Jamal is worth 25mil to this team for what he brings. He is the heart and sole of a pathetic team.

Lets trade him for a maybe and just maybe he'll be shite and we'll win the trade.

Trading adams is what top teams do, because they couldn't afford to keep him.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

Mogriffjr likes this.
  10. Br4d

Any time I see a player who acts like he is all about his brand I get nervous. That's a direct result of Gastineau and Revis.

11. Br4d

The Patriots traded Richard Seymour when he was one of the top interior DL in the NFL. Then they traded Chandler Jones when he started talking about a huge deal.

When a player is completely focused on being paid it hurts the team in so many ways it is hard to list them. Smart teams recognize that the only position that is worth bending a knee too is QB and even those teams (see the Seahawks) have major issues once they capitulate.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So many here who want to keep Adams no matter what, say that he's the leader of the team. Well if that's the case (and I believe he's certainly one of the primary ones), then what does that do to the rest of the team if he starts complaining about not being paid, and not being respected "officially"? You don't think that has a big ripple effect through the rest of the players?

I hope this can be worked out so that he remains a NY Jet...at the right price. But if he becomes unreasonable, or threatens to, he needs to be moved while his value is at its peak.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  13. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’ve had direct reports like this. At some point you cut your losses.

14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

the problem with your argument Brad is that they are ALL completely focused on being paid. Like every player. At the end of the day it is a job, right?

Seems like the few guys who bust their asses for the good of the game are the rare ones

I mean we have Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. Drafted same year. If Maye had the accolades and reputation Adams has, you think he wouldn’t be pushing for an extension?

15. LF911SC

Sure you have

Theres absolutely no need to cut anyones losses. Thats nonsense

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  16. LF911SC

Actually they traded Seymour after he put in 8 or 9 seasons. He wasn't a top interior lineman at that point, he was good and on his way down.
    He already was paid twice/
    Smart teams dont jettison the best players at the top of their games. Thats not true. Jamals a S, hes not getting 20+ per. He can be paid, fans want great players and then whine when its time to pay them. Its kind of amusing, especially with a 15 or so mil per player.

101GangGreen101 likes this.
  17. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

all of this will come down to a matter of degree. Jamal has a point for sure, but so does JD. Some people view this negotiation as a zero sum game; every extra nickel one guy gets is to the detriment of the other guy. Other people (e.g., 'The getting to Yes' crowd) see a situation where you can make a bigger pie. I'm in that latter crowd, but Jamal has to realize that the cap is fixed, and that pie has to be divided in a way for the team's best interest. Fortunately, there are other pies he can benefit from with compromise. Being a key player on a winning team has value, whether it's endorsements, longer career as a player, career after football etc.They're either committed to working together and finding a balance (yay! us) or Jamal or JD is trying to screw the other out of every nickel they can get (which IMO ends up lose-lose). JD needs to convince Jamal he will be taken care of and that Jets' success will be his success

If Jamal ends up going full prima donna he will be our version of OBJ and we'll ship him out of town for a package, and no it won't be a godfather offer; hopefully a first and third. As much as we may love him, others aren't going to offer more than that

And no we shouldn't freak out either. Two other pro bowl safeties were picked in the same draft as Jamal. One in the second and one in the fourth. You don't use, or need to use, a #6 pick for an impactful safety. Big stats on a safety are often a reflection of the relatively poor play in front of him

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Having a strong link on a broken chain doesn't make the chain any stronger.

19. LF911SC

Which is why you get rid of the weak links and surround the strong link with other strong links.

Thanks

donkey likes this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Which you can't do if you overpay the strongest link. It pretty much guarantees you that you will have lots of weak links.

DSL97, Br4d and ColoradoContrails like this.