2nd / 3rd Round WRs?

Discussion in 'Draft' started by sozopol, Mar 24, 2020.

1. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree man, It's been way too long since the Jets have addressed WR. I'd like to see us grab at least 2 receivers in the first 3 rounds. Take a look at the guys we've drafted in the past 15 years. 12 Receivers over that period of time and the best of the bunch was a converted QB! This is Historically bad!!!

2005-No receivers Drafted

2006- Brad Smith in the 4th-Developed into a WR, was a QB

2007- Chansi Stucky in the 7th- 15 Games with the Jets 32 Receptions

2008- Marcus Henry in the 7th- 0 Receptions

2009- No Receivers Drafted

2010- No Receivers Drafted

2011- Jeremy Kerley in the 5th was a nice find but Scottie McKnight in the 7th- Purely drafted because he was Sanchez's best friend

2012- Stephen Hill in the 2nd and Jordan White in the 7th- We all know how this played out...

2013- No Receivers Drafted

2014-Jalen Saunders and Shaq Evans in the 4th (Saunders had 1 career reception and Evans didn't make the roster). Q in the 6th-nice find-career looks to be over

2015- Denvin Smith in the 2nd. Was a reach as the guy had only 120 receptions in a 4 year college career. Had a high profile SR year lead the nation in RYPC 28.2 but only had 33 receptions...Injuries derailed him and now is trying to catch on with Dallas.

2016- No Receivers Drafted

2017- ArDarious Stewart 3rd & Chad Hanson 4th Round- 23 Receptions and 30 Games between the two! Chris Goodwin or Kenny Golladay and DeDe Westbrook were still available

2018- No Receivers Drafted

2019- No Receivers Drafted

boozer32 and KY Jets Fan like this.
  2. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The lack of any sort of investment in offensive skill players since '05 is crazy but also explains why our offense is in the state it's currently in. Sure we've taken fliers on guys in the 5th, 6th, and 7th but we've used very, very few premium (1st-3rd round) picks.

Only offensive skill players I could find in that range were...

2008: 1st Round- Dustin Keller (TE)
    2009: 3rd Round- Shonn Greene (RB)
    2012: 2nd Round- Stephen Hill (WR)
    2015: 2nd Round- Devin Smith (WR)
    2017: 3rd Round- ArDarius Stewart (WR)

That's it. 5 premium picks on offensive skill players in well over a decade. Insanity.

3. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

While I totally agree that the Jets have had poor drafting of Wide outs the last 15+ years, I wish you would' gone back one more year to 2004. Jerricho Cotchery was one of our best Rd 4 picks ever. He amassed over 4500 yards, had great hands and was a solid #2 WR. I remember reading years ago the Jets took notice of Cotchery, since he was one of Phillip Rivers' favorite targets at NCST.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

A WW85 sighting!!! How are you? Long time no see! I hope that all is well with you and yours. I've missed your commentary and input during draft season.

5. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

Hey NC, I hope You and Yours are doing well also. I don't post as much as I use to. The last few years my job at work changed, which keeps me busy. Plus, I play an enormous amount of golf April thru October and go on multiple golfing trips (NC, SC, AL & FL.) in the colder months. I still log on daily and check posts, since I'm still a Mod and try to monitor some content. In general, lately, most of the posters at TGG are respectful, at least till the season starts :). I still follow the draft and players closely, I watch a lot of College Football.

Let's hope JD makes the right choices next week.

I don't want to derail this thread any longer, thanks for the comments.
    All the best,
    Pete

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Absolutely pathetic!

It's no wonder the Jets haven't won anything for so long! Even if the NFL hadn't been moving to offense-heavy game, this would be pathetic, but in light of the trend to offense over that time, it's idiotic.

As I've said before, I wouldn't be upset if they used EVERY pick on offense.

boozer32, KY Jets Fan and NCJetsfan like this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is just awful. Jets need to fix that. This draft should have two WR picks. Then sign two UDFA.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

For sure. Cotchery was a fighter, a great pick, and in my book, still has the record for the Jets most amazing catch. I think it was against Miami or NE but I don't remember for sure.

9. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

Yep I remember that catch. I remember being so pissed when Rex cut him too. Sure he was getting older but he was the heart. Think he got cut for Derrick Mason? Whoever it was, lasted a year and didn't do what Cotchery had.

boozer32 and LAJet like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That's why having such a defense-focused HC in an offense-focused league is a bad idea.

boozer32 and LAJet like this.
  11. mattyd99

We've had a defense-focused team for too long. Can only hope JD keeps the gas pedal going here.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Yup, I remember JC going to the Steelers & Panthers (Played in the super bowl) and having some productive years after we cut him.

2013 he had 46 receptions and 10 TD's with PITT

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Or balance out the team. Nothing wrong with taking defensive players. But they can't be your choice every year like the Jets have been doing. The worst part was the Jets still sucked on defense.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. mattyd99

Yep too many misses and a poor offense can make a defense suck as well. Being on the field more than the offense they're going to be more tired and the opposing team has more looks to figure out the scheme and ways to beat it.

boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.