April 14, 7 round mock. This one I like....a lot

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Footballgod214, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

ROUND 4: (No. 120)
    Texas WR Collin Johnson

[​IMG]
    Johnson might not be a burner, but the 6-6, 222-pounder would be a welcomed target for Darnold. Johnson, who averaged 14.0 yards per catch in his college career, can win 50-50 balls in tight spaces. He’s a high-character prospect with a wingspan that would make life easier for Darnold, too.

Johnson has flown under the radar after a hamstring injury last season held him to just seven games. But he could wind up being a Day 3 steal.

ROUND 5: (No. 158)
    Vanderbilt RB Ke’Shawn Vaughn

[​IMG]
    With Le’Veon Bell expected to last just one more season in Gotham Green-and-White, Douglas & Co. need to find long-term help in the backfield. The 5-10, 214-pound Vaughn can play a complementary role in 2020. He’s a home-run hitter that racked up more 60-plus yard touchdown runs (eight) in the past two seasons than anyone in college football. He can also help as a pass catcher (42 receptions in the past two seasons) and pass protector. Vaughn found the end zone once every 16.5 touches in his final two seasons after transferring from Illinois. He’s shown an ability to grind out yards after contact too.

ROUND 6: (No. 191)
    Georgia S JR Reed

[​IMG]
    Smart, versatile players can find a home in the Jets’ scheme. The 6-0, 202-pound Reed, whose father, Jake, was a longtime NFL wideout, fits the bill. Reed can play in the deep part of the field or cover in the slot. He’s not the most powerful guy, but his ability to cover ground quickly could make him an asset for a team looking for a third safety.

ROUND 6: (No. 211)
    Oregon WR Juwan Johnson

[​IMG]
    If you’re going to take a flier with your final pick, you might as well take one on a physically gifted player with plenty of upside. The 6-4, 230-pound Johnson looks like an absolute beast, but there are important areas of his game that must improve. He’ll have to polish his route running to have a chance as a consistent contributor at the next level. There have been concerns about his passion for the game after he transferred from Penn State after three seasons. If Johnson harnesses his gifts — he’s also an imposing blocker — and show that he’s all-in, he could be a late-round gem.

It’s unusual to take three receivers in one draft, but if Douglas truly is bent on maximizing Darnold’s talents, you can’t take enough of them.

K'OB likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Draft thread?

3. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Having to think about the thought of Fant/Edoga as the 2 OT's scare me. Both are unproven at that position - maybe both have some upside/potential but does Douglas want to go into the 2020 season with just that selling point? Whoo boy , he'll be facing a very imposing media press with that angle. As much as i would love having Jeudy or Lamb, how does JD not address the OT issue with the 11th pick?

4. Footballgod214

Word. The only other forum I go to is the game day thread during the season.

When Brooks moves thread from the main forum, it's dead to me.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

It's an okay draft, but not my favorite. I much prefer one I did over in the Draft thread:

Your score is: 36571 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
    Round 1 Pick 16 (ATL): Jerry Jeudy, WR, Alabama (A+)
    Round 2 Pick 15 (ATL): Isaiah Wilson, OT, Georgia (A)
    Round 2 Pick 16: Cesar Ruiz, C/OG, Michigan (A-)
    Round 3 Pick 4: Jonathan Greenard, DE, Florida (A)
    Round 3 Pick 15: Amik Robertson, CB, Louisiana Tech (A)
    Round 4 Pick 14: Chase Claypool, WR/TE, Notre Dame (A+)
    Round 5 Pick 12: Antonio Gibson, WR, Memphis (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 12: James Morgan, QB, FIU (A+)
    Round 6 Pick 32: Braden Mann, P, Texas A&M (A+)

I did do a trade back right of the bat to give up 5 spots to gain an extra 2nd and was able to really upgrade the OL I feel after taking the best WR available at 16. I would've actually preferred Lamb (I've changed my mind from preferring Jeudy but wouldn't cry if he becomes our pick).

I'm not as big a fan of Dantlzler because of the concerns of his "grabbiness", and given his size, I think Amik Robertson is a much better CB.

Claypool could be used as a TE or a big target WR.

Gibson adds a unique dimension that I'm not sure Gase can exploit, but if he can - or another HC comes in who can - he can be a "poor man's McCaffrey". And he's got flexibility to be used as a RB or receiver.

Morgan has a lot of potential and the right physical tool set. I actually want them to take Anthony Gordon from WSU who I think is a lot like Mahomes without quite the arm talent, but by the time I could pick him in this version he was gone. I hope JD has better luck than me.

And Braden is maybe the top punter in the nation.

If Douglas could pull this off I would be very happy.

And if Brook wants to move this to the Draft thread that would be fine with me.

6. Footballgod214

Trading down a bit, picking an extra 2nd, and then getting Lamb/Jeudy to boot would not be bad at all.

But if the good WRs go early, pushing the tackles down, and if the tackle Joe covets falls to 8/9 range, Joe may drop one of our 3rds to move up a slot or two to get his man in the trenches for the next 15 yrs.

As a first yr GM I have no clue how he's gonna operate. Just hope at the end we got a bunch or really good players.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You have been here since 2005 and can't follow a site map?

It is literally two lines below the main heading of this part of the forum

New York Jets
    Game Threads
    DRAFT
    Jets Experience
    History and Trivia

:rolleyes:

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why though?

It is just compartmentalization and to keep the main forum from being clogged up with repetitive stuff.

Don't see a problem of logging in and then either opening Jets main bit or looking in the draft heading or even the national football league topic.

I will say I never ever go to the main part of the site though, just the forum part.

9. Fiftynine

Fiftynine Well-Known Member

I like the thought process behind the draft; on balance it's pretty reasonable.

However I don't want to see any more of this shit: "Durability remains the biggest concern for Shenault, who required surgeries for turf toe and labrum injuries."

No more taking chances in the early rounds on players with durability issues. Our picks need to be on the field or at least not hanging out in their civvies with the training staff for multiple weeks during the season.

10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I hope this is not the draft the Jets run. I like that it had an offensive theme just the wrong offensive players. This is the cool thing about a new GM the unpredictability. Everyone knew what Maccagnan would do but now we have Douglas and hope he can get this team balling. I like the Danzler pick.

11. ive experienced similar treatment on twitter.Quite honestly I’m not surprised

There is a segment of Jet fans that literally think OL is the be all end all who also think WRs are useless or “window dressing” at best.

Those 2 notions colliding & mutating doesnt leave much room for opinions to the contrary.

I just have to wonder how anyone could watch this team for the last 15 yrs & still think that dynamic playmakers on the boundary are somehow worthless or an after thought.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

I dont think that Thomas fits the mold of the quick type OL that Gase and JD are looking for.

I can see the need to finish the OL but I dont think any of the top OTs are the stud OTs that we think about and drool over for the OL. I do think that's exactly what I see in the top 3 WRs and would hate to pass on any or worse all 3 of them.

Id love to see a trade down, close enough to still grab one of the 3 WRs and come away with an additional pick in the draft./

13. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

IMO there are only two ways he could take Lamb or Jeudy at #11:

1) Three of the top 4 OTs (or all 4) are gone by pick #11, and Douglas doesn't think that the remaining OT from the top 4 or Jones are worthy of the #11 pick and he sees Lamb and Jeudy as safer and better value picks, and
    2) He already has a handshake deal in place to either re-sign Beacham, sign Peters or trade for Trent Williams if he doesn't get one of the OTs he wants.

I don't think he would take Lamb or Jeudy and then count on Jones, Jackson, Cleveland or Wanogho (or anyone else) being able to come in and push for a starting position this year, so I think he will either take one of the top 4 OTs, or take Lamb/Jeudy and then re-sign/sign/trade for a vet to push Fant/Edoga. If it's the latter, he still may draft an OT in the 2nd or 3rd round as a developmental project, although that's not good value, but he may have to do it as a necessity.

14. LF911SC

You dont think there's a chance JD could see something in Fant that has him thinking Fant and one of the WRs would make for a better offense than Fant and a rookie tied up at LT and passing on a position we're in dire need of help at?

15. NCJetsfan

The only possibility I see for a trade down and still getting one of the top 3 WRs would be with Tampa Bay at #14. Both Oakland and SF are sure bets to take WRs, and Lamb and Jeudy will be gone, if one or both aren't already gone by #11. So, at best, I think Douglas would be thinking he could still get Ruggs at #14. I think the Broncos are a sure bet to take Ruggs if he's there at #15. IMO that's just being greedy. To trade down 3 spots, probably at best, Douglas would only get a 3rd round pick, and more likely a 4th. A 3rd round pick isn't worth it to pass up on getting one of Lamb/Jeudy.

16. LF911SC

I dont know, too hard to say. Lots of talk that Oakland would go WR but plenty of talk they could go QB. Just as most think Tampa will go OT to help Brady, they dont need another WR anywhere as bad as protecting Tom

17. Footballgod214

If it's worth reading it will be on the main page.

That's my take.

Only threads no one cares about are shoved to the wayside :rolleyes:

18. NCJetsfan

It's possible, but it would be very risky. The thing is Fant and Edoga, for all practical purposes, are the only two OTs on the roster who could be counted on to even come close to being decent starters. Van Roten could fill in at RT in a pinch, but not long term. While Fant was scheduled to become the Seahawks starter at LT in 2017 before he was injured, he hasn't had all that many snaps at LT over the last couple of seasons, and he doesn't have that many years of football experience. Edoga showed some flashes, but was very shaky last year. Would you really want to risk Sam's health on Fant and Edoga??? If Sam suffers a serious injury, it's game over for the season, and it could affect him the rest of his career. That's like playing Russian Roulette.

At a minimum, Douglas needs to bring in another OT that has more experience than Fant and Edoga, and is a capable starter. I will be very surprised and disappointed, if not angry, if Douglas doesn't have a backup plan to re-sign Beacham, sign Peters, or trade for Trent Williams following the draft if he doesn't get the OT he wants at #11. No GM in his right mind would go into the season with only two OTs on his roster and both of them have little experience and be as shaky as they have been.

IMO until Fant proves that he is at least as good, and hopefully better than Beacham, LT is still a desperate need for the Jets.

BomberJet and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  19. Footballgod214

lol...same here. I've logged onto the forum for like 10 years now. If I had to find my p/w it would be a all day effort!

K'OB likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

That's because you're lazy. There is a draft forum that is specifically for discussing the draft. It has been there every year since before I joined in 2013. You've been here much longer than that, and should know that there is a draft forum and that's where draft posts are supposed to go. I remember seeing moderators move posts to the draft forum every year, because a new poster posts it in the main forum. You've been around long enough to know better.

Footballgod214 likes this.