Signs The Clock Started Ticking for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 9, 2020.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

. . click

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

So far it's one of the most overrated draft classes for QB's ever. Jackson is the only QB that has elevated his team. Allen, Mayfield, Rosen and Darnold have done nothing to elevate their teams. Darnold and Rosen, unlike Mayfield and Allen have been thrown into really bad situations. Darnold has at least been able to keep his head above water in the deep end. Mayfield and Allen are both on teams with lots of talent and both of them have held their teams back.

I have high hopes for Sam based solely on the fact that he has survived and flashed on an O with second rate talent and a revolving door of players and coaches. At some point he has to elevate the play of the O. He's not remotely on the hot seat yet.

3. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Sam and this defense IMO, each week you feel you have a shot to win if they are healthy. Sam has the quality to make those around him better, the touch on his throws, his ability to extend the play. Sam has had the worst luck out of all of them. And it's not even about the coaches it's all availability starting with him and the team (Herndon, Q). Baker's weapons have been healthy and the Bills haven't had to deal with huge injury concerns over the past 2 years.

This year, I think is the biggest year for this franchise in sometime. You get regression from Darnold, it will really erode the foundation ... despite the fact that he's young it won't look good for our future outlook on the team.

4. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Is it me or does it feel like every Darnold thread turns into a Darnold vs Allen thread. I get it that both come from the same draft class. Both are in the AFCE. They are good friends like Kelly-Marino which will add to the rivalry I suppose. Both will or should play a huge part in Jets-Bills rivalry over the next 12-15 years if things go well for both players/organizations. I think Darnold is the better QB but Douglas has a lot of work to do if the Jets hope to beat the Bills/Pats and take this division. 2021 is where I think the Jets have a shot. To much needs to be fixed on offense for the Jets to do anything this season assuming we have one.

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

I certainly hope Sam has the USMC motto which is adapt, overcome & imptovise as his work ethic :mad:

6. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

It’d be refreshing it you would do any of those three things yourself.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  7. championjets69

That's why I have been successful I have been using that motto for years. Maybe you should & in fact every one on this board should use it as it certainly make anybody that uses it a far better person :mad:

Biggs likes this.
  8. championjets69

Since this is a Sam Darnold thread I posted this early March so I guess it fits into this thread

https://forums.theganggreen.com/threads/samdonald.93533/

:mad:

Biggs likes this.
  9. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

On a funnier note, I don't remember a time where there were two friendlier players from competing division rivals than Sam and Josh Allen....

They spend A LOT of time together. You have to wonder how much of each other's game they know

10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

This is absurd for a QB who has had two different coaching staffs in two years, depleted of weapons with a swiss cheese offensive line. He has shown flashes of brilliance and he finally has a GM that has a clue and will build around him. If he shows signs of regression this year or can't stay healthy the clock may begin to tick, but not yet. Darnold has showed he has star potential that doesn't grow on trees. No way anybody is giving up on him anytime soon.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Mayfield has not held his team back. Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. They had a horrible HC both of Mayfield's first two seasons in the NFL. Hue Jackson was awful and was replaced during the season. Freddie Kitchens was worse and only lasted one season.

I often agree with many, if not most of your posts, but after your hiatus from the board, you are a little off in your posts saying that Mayfield is holding Cleveland back and that Michael Jordan would have sucked on the Knicks. The latter especially is just freaking crazy talk.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well don’t worry about the latter, he was attempting to mock me for saying Mahomes wouldn’t have been the Mahomes we know today if we drafted him and started him right off the bat with a terrible offensive coordinator and no weapons. You know, like we did with Sam the last two years.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Good point about Jordan. I was really crazy to say he wouldn't have been good on the knicks. He would have been great on the Knicks, just like Mahomes would have been great on the Jets. Mahomes would have even elevated the Browns.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/sports...earch/95-46bafde0-095f-425c-8ef2-dc4128c7cc56

According to Mike Florio of ProFootballTalk.com, Mayfield tilted the scales in favor of Kitchens, whom the “football people,” led by general manager John Dorsey, liked more than Minnesota Vikings interim offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski, the favored candidate of the “analytics guys,” namely chief strategy officer Paul DePodesta.

“What I was told of what was going on in Cleveland was a tug-o-war between the football people, led by John Dorsey, and the analytics people, led by Paul DePodesta, who is still there, who still has a direct report to Jimmy Haslam, owner of the team, and still has a lot of influence,” Florio said on his national television show.

“Dorsey wanted Freddie Kitchens, and DePodesta wanted Vikings offensive coordinator Kevin Stefanski. And at one point, it was leaning Stefanski, but you know who broke the tie, baby? The guy who has come in and really taken everything under his power and control in Cleveland. Baker Mayfield wanted Kitchens. Baker Mayfield gets Kitchens.”

#153 Biggs, Apr 13, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
  14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It turns out I was mocking NC but if you want to own it feel free.

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He'll be fine if he doesn't get sick, hurt or try to carry a gun onto a plane.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I mean it's an internet message board I don't know if it makes a difference. Either way, the comparison is bad because my point was never that the Jets shouldn't have drafted him. Never said or implied it.

17. NCJetsfan

A second year player shouldn't have the power to tell the team who to hire. The owner or GM ought to be strong enough to make that decision. The Browns are a clusterfuck. Tons of talent, but idiots as owners and in leadership.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Now a third year player? That is different. Let Sam have whatever he wants! :D;)

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I bet Darnold had plenty of pull on that Gase hire, we kind of did the same thing.

No one seems to hold that against Darnold though

20. NCJetsfan

Why would he? He was a 1st year player and only 20/21. He didn't know Adam Gase from a hole in the wall. If Mac and the Johnsons gave Sam that kind of power, then they all ought to publicly ridiculed to the day they die.

K'OB likes this.