Jamal Adams... (Merged)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by fansince90, Aug 20, 2017.

1. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

I prefer hidden production. ;-)

Brook! likes this.
  2. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Does he back it up?

Against bottom teams like last season, he had a career game against the Giants and garbage teams... What about when teams like the Dolphins, Bills, etc torch us? Where is he then? What "difference does he make?"
    I'm just saying, he doesn't have a bunch of sacks, he doesn't break up big plays in games that mean something. Why should we sacrifice, I don't know maybe an edge rusher or 2, star WR, OL, CB for a safety?

Having a "solid back end of the D" does nothing when we can't get to the QB or defend big plays. You win in the trenches on both sides of the ball.. You don't win with a hot dog flashy Safety.
    He's got a lot of arrogance for someone who hasn't done shit.

What really threw me off about him was his bullshit act last season when Douglas supposedly took calls around the trade deadline and putting himself in the same sentence as Brady or whoever else. It's great the locker respects him, it's great that he is a good player, but he hasn't done shit in this league. Being brash is one thing. But there are plenty of players that are in his age range of youth that don't act like a big punk.

Brook! likes this.
  3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Exactly. None of his production is hidden as us #33 fans can enjoy multiple videos of on field production.

However I do not see any Jamal Adams LOWLIGHT VIDEOS SUCH AS THE SANCHEZ BUTTFUMBLE FLOATING AROUND THE INTERNET.

And this is because #33 has been an absolute beast from day one ala rated as a five star recruit (coming out of High School) and was ranked among the top ten overall recruits within the (entire) Nation before committing to LSU where he went on to beat Lamar Jackson during a Bowl Game along with a second-team All-SEC selection (sophomore) and an All-Sec First-team before being drafted 6th overall (by a historically awful NY Jets Franchise) followed by becoming an NFL All-Rookie, an NFL 2x Pro Bowler (1x Bowl Game M.V.P) and an NFL 2x All-Pro...

"Some Loser".

donkey likes this.
  4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I don't want to pay him top number. Period.

I want him to want to win enough that he'll take a home team discount as long as the difference is spent on acquiring/retaining quality players around him.

The Patriots did what the Patriots did because Belichik wasn't willing to pay top dollar and was more than willing to let even a great talent go if their number one priority was being highest paid at their position. Brady played *for* the Pats and for wins and Revis played the Jets *for* ego and his wallet. Looking at the two cases it is hard to understand why anybody would think that paying a player at the top of the market was a good idea.

Suppression of ego wins championships.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

No all-pro player just entering his prime is going to take a hometown discount. That will never ever happen in 2020. Nor should it.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The point is to not have to "fire sale" him.

Look, I get all the love he gets from many fans, and I'm not saying he isn't great at what he does, but he's not going to be the reason the Jets get to, or win, a SB. Yes, there's a risk that the drafted players that JD might take in return for trading him might not work out. That's the nature of the draft. But don't ignore the risk of hanging onto him. He's going to ask for a the highest contract for a Safety, and he's going to be vocal about it, which might affect the team. And if the Jets decide to try and trade him at that point, then it does become a fire sale. These are definite risks.

To those who love Adams, they're never going to agree to trading him. But Douglas has the job of rebuilding a badly flawed team with the only real certain building block is the QB, and even that isn't definite. I do think he'll weigh all the options and chart the best course. He has deep experience gained from winning organizations, and knows how to build a winner, so whatever he decides, for now, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

SOJAZ likes this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Not top of the market. Top of today's market when we have the room. We don't have a roster full of good to great players where we need to pair great talent to stay ahead. We aren't remotely in the same position the Pats we're in.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think there are some who would, but I don't think Adams is one of those.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

I think players and the FO can come to an agreement without it saying he took a home team discount. A lot of tricky ways to get players their money and still have plenty of cap space to splurge. Patriots and the Gilmore contract? 4th highest in guaranteed money for anyone playing in the secondary. That + the increasing cap keeps your potential HOF safety in NY for years to come.

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I don't even know who you could compare Jamal to. Who is still on their rookie deal that's playing at a literal all-pro level that's going to be due a new contract? Lamar, McCaffrey, Kittle, won't count Henry because he's franchised now, Joey Bosa, Minkah Fitzpatrick... I can't see those guys giving up the amount of money that's implied when someone says "hometown discount to sign players around them".

RochesterJet likes this.
  11. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Not sure you're right (I could be wrong though, check my work!)...... The Revis pick from Tampa got us Sheldon.....We ended up trading Sheldon for a 2nd rounder to Seattle few years later. We packaged that to Colts to move up and draft Darnold. Thus Revis trade gave us Darnold. If Darnold ends up being want we all hope/believe, then Revis trade was worth it.

12. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

Double post

13. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I like Jamal, so I'm not in favor of moving him to just move him. I wouldnt trade him for just a 1st rounder, I would need more. Jamal is too good for that.

I believe I read the Jets rejected a trade of a 1st and a 3rd from the Cowboys. That means hypothetically, the minimum the Jets would require is a 1st and 2nd. I think I'd do that.

Then, if I were GM, I'd take two OL in the 1st, two WR in the 2nd, and a CB and Pass Rusher in the 3rd. Maybe use some of the picks to move back into the 1st. It would give the Jets plenty of flexibility.

14. GreenFan15J

GreenFan15J Well-Known Member

Pull the trigger JD.

Use his value to get us some picks. Build through the draft.

Do it before he gets injured or throws another hissy fit.

rohirrim665 and Brook! like this.
  15. Br4d

Then the Jets probably need to pull a Belichik and find the best deal they can for him.

PAYME never wins championships. One guy does it then everybody else will and you don't have the critical mass you need to get over the top. Tough situation to be in for the Jets but it is what it is.

16. Br4d

And we never will be if we let the Revis model govern how we spend and build our roster. Those two things - spending and building the roster are completely interlinked and the Jets have always been on the PAYME side as opposed to the There's no I in TEAM side. The Patriots on the other hand have been on the other side of the equation to the point that they let Tom Brady walk because they didn't want to commit a huge cap number to one of the best QB's of all time. This is after they let Richard Seymour walk because they didn't want to pay him like he was the difference between winning and losing. This is after all the other moves that Belichik has made over the years that made it clear that no player was bigger than the team and winning. That's why the Patriot Way worked for all of those years.

The Jets should have traded Revis during his first holdout. They made the playoffs once after they gave in and then they turned into crap for a decade. They should have thanked him for his service after 2009 and let him go during the holdout in 2010. Yeah Revis was a huge part of why they won in 2009 but Rex's One-Trick Pony Show lasted one more year and then it was over.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I think that had more to do with crappy drafting and giving away picks like candy on Halloween than Revis' antics, however annoying they may have been. On top of that Sanchez lost Cotchery and Edwards after the 2010 season. It's possible he never would've taken the next step anyway, but we did him no favors.

18. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Adams hasn't held out.

We're not the Pats. SF gave Jimmy G a huge pay day. It was front loaded because their cap was front loaded. His pay went down and he can actually be cut if they want to cut him after this year. If he plays at a high level they have him locked up at below top QB dollar.

The Jets aren't the Pats. We don't have to make a decision on who to keep and who to cut next year. We can overpay now and structure a contract that will be under market when we need the room.

It's not an either or it's can you get a deal that works for both the player and the team. If you can't you trade him at peak value. If you can you make a deal and don't look back.

I believe the Jets forced Revis into an option year in his first contract. Our GM was a little too cute for his own good and Revis bent him over. Douglas doesn't strike me as a lawyer who's going to be cute.

FJF likes this.
  19. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas should be on the phone with Jamal Adams trying to work out a deal at this very moment to gauge whether or not it is possible to bring Jamal back with a contract that honors the fact that he is one of the best if not THE best at his position, but is also feasible to building a winning team. If they can find that middle ground great. If not, we need to deal him to Dallas for a 1st and 2nd rounder (maybe more) because Jamal's value will never be higher than it is right now, and this is the perfect draft that you would want to accumulate picks. To me, you have to figure out the Jamal Adams situation immediately, whether you can work out a fair contract that doesn't cripple building the team or not. In my mind, if Jamal is not extended before the draft, he is going to Dallas, and that would be the correct course of action.

Br4d, SOJAZ and Dierking like this.
  20. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

Jamal is a bitch and basically got all his stats from a couple games

I watch them
    I know

How many times has his big baby mouth gotten us to the playoffs?

Zero

he’s a decent player but mostly a WINDBAG

wake me when he elevates the team to the playoffs

fansince90 likes this.