Signs The Clock Started Ticking for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 9, 2020.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Lamar Jackson isn't looking so bad now is he?

2. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Can you imagine that poor fucker behind our OL, he would be dead already.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

He would behind our OL playing for our coach. The “I can’t believe we passed on Lamar” argument is one of the laziest.

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

The Jets are talking to QBs because they're going to draft a QB to develop and probably to be Sam's backup, unless Douglas is waiting to sign a QB cut after the draft.

K'OB, The Dark Knight and NYGANGGREEN like this.
  5. K'OB

What round do you think Hurts will go in?

And could we use him in a Taysom Hill roll?

6. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

It's interesting that Lamar Jackson joins a great organization in the Ravens and instantly has success and wins NFL MVP, Josh Allen joins a 2017 playoff team in Buffalo and instantly makes the playoffs himself in 2019, Baker Mayfield and Sam Darnold join terrible organizations who have strongly struggled in recent years (including already firing both GM's who drafted each QB) and are currently struggling to succeed. Or maybe it is less interesting and more obvious. I think it is fair to say that Sam is in the worst situation of those 4 guys too.

SOJAZ, HomeoftheJets and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Dan Marino was Joe Namath coming out. The reason he was passed on were the drug rumors. The guys drafted ahead of him weren't remotely in his class. It was an amazingly conservative move by a team that's one shinning moment was an amazingly bold move to get Joe Namath. Drafting O'Brien is something the Cleveland Browns do not the NY Jets with our history.

The reason we have only had one SB is we only had 1 bold owner.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm a Darnold supporter, but he hasn't assured anyone that he can be the FQB yet. He has the tools and the instinct, but he has to stay healthy and he has to cut down on the mistakes. So with that in mind Douglas is smart to look for insurance. On that note, here's the guy I hope he gets (kudos to Mogriffjr for pointing him out in the Draft Board):

Anthony Gordon, Washington State University

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...ng-wsu-qb-anthony-gordon-has-the-nfl-on-alert
    Some of the observations from a handful of scouts B/R spoke to:

• No one in the country throws a better deep ball.

• Gordon's multiple release points—overhead, three-quarters, sidearm—remind some scouts of Patrick Mahomes.

• Gordon plays with the attitude and fearlessness of a guy who has started four years.

• He's lanky (6'3" and 210 pounds) and needs to bulk up, and…

• He might just be a "system quarterback."

The bold jumped out at me because when I watched the video clip that's exactly what I thought. No, not nearly as strong an arm, but not a wet noodle either. But it's the different arm angles, the accuracy, the confidence to thread needles, all reminds me of Mahomes. And then there's even the same "knock" that he's a "system QB". If only the Jets had a "system QB" like Mahomes! Well, this might be their chance for a do-over.

I don't think he would come right in and threaten Sam. I think he does need to bulk up a bit, and also to learn the speed of the pro game, but I do think he'd be a great backup right away, and if Darnold falters and doesn't live up to his promise, Gordon offers a great fall back. I don;t want to jinx Darnold, but it could be a case similar to when the Patriots had to go to Brady after Bledsoe went down.

I seriously doubt Gordon lasts even to the 4th round, and may well go by the 2nd.

9. K'OB

I bet you were reaching for the tissues and lube when you read it :p:p:p

ps video highlights looked good

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Hes 22 years old

And not a dip shit like Jameis

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

100% on target. Similarly, Rosen suffered from back to back tours with two organizations in terrible transition and got ruined probably for good.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  12. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

that pass at around 2:53 man I gotta check my boxers

13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

You are hoping? You claim you "Know" your team, yet you sound like you're not sure as to what caused Sam to have the problems he's had with this team?

Maybe JD is not sure either by signing all those OL players....

14. NCJetsfan

That's hard to say regarding Hurts. It depends on how teams rate him, if they will be needing a QB in a year or two and think he can develop. I'm going to guess the 3rd or 4th round, but it could be as high as the 2nd.

We possibly could use him in a Taysom Hill role, but if I'm not mistaken, he is the #3 QB in NO, or was. We need a backup QB. Unless Douglas is planning on definitely signing a veteran cut as the backup, I think we need to draft a QB who can step in and play quickly. I'm not sure that's Hurts, but if it is, he will need to focus on learning the offense and getting ready to play in case Sam is injured and won't have time to work on plays for a Taysom Hill role, unless Douglas has signed a veteran QB.

15. NCJetsfan

Good point, except I think that Sam was in the worst situation, not is. With Douglas here, Sam should be in a great situation. I think Mayfield is in the worst situation, and it will probably remain the worst even though they have more talent than the Jets.

The Dark Knight likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Thanks for sharing this. I'd love to see us draft him if he's there in the 3rd or 4th.

17. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Our hope is that JD surrounds the kid with a quality OL so he can be all he can be and not become the next David Carr type. It's been a long time since the Jets FO has valued any OL. Sucks for a franchise that had the likes of D'Brick, Mangold, Jumbo, Mawae, Fields, Alexander, McElroy, Sweeney etc. It's been ages since they've had a competent OL.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. James Hasty

My point remains that we probably should have stayed put.

Whether we took a QB, Quentin Nelson, or another player and kept all three second rounders we would be further along with our rebuild.

I am hoping Sam works out, I like what I see so far.

19. James Hasty

John Elway and Jim Kelly weren't in his class?

Dan don't have no rings on no fingers.

Biggs likes this.
  20. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Good point about Elway. Kelly wasn't remotely in Marino's class. Both were gone before we picked.
    Fun fact about that draft Kubiak was drafted in the 8th round of that same draft and participated in 7 SB 3 as a player.

#80 Biggs, Apr 10, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2020