Signs The Clock Started Ticking for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by FrontOfficeFanatic, Apr 9, 2020.

1. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If you've really watched the Jets the past two years, then you know it's not reasonable to evaluate Sam in a vacuum. We've seen brilliance and we've seen mistakes, but mostly we've seen a very young man trying to escape a burning building over and over again. imo, there are very few QB's who could have looked much better with what he's got to work with.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was mostly replying to other posters, but unlike you I do see many more positives than negatives and great upside for Sam. IMO Sam has done far more than most with much less so far. This year, I think he will take a quantum leap forward leading a better offense.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  3. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Darnold is gonna have to get through a 16 game season at some point or yeah, they will need to move on

but I wouldn’t read much into meeting with QB prospects in this draft and that is what your post seems to be based on, besides the odd paragraph about the fake report you read

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

We probably should wait to see an improved (32nd ranked) oline before we give up on the best qb prospect we’ve had in the last 50 years.

As far as backup, yes we should draft/sign another qb. Letting John Wolford go was a mistake as he is better than our 2 backup bums imo. I also remember reading pre-draft workout reports of Josh Allen, Sam Darnold and Kyle Allen... and they were saying Kyle although raw had similar arm talent to Darnold... I started watching his tape and thought at the time, man I hope the Jets also get this guy as backup as you could tell he had pro traits...

It’s pretty frustrating when us (limited knowledge) fans seem to get it right more than our teams...

tubby, Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

Sam played quite well this past season given the circumstances...there were just a few:

-no running game AT ALL...zero...our running game was putrid to watch.

-pass protection sucked

-lack of playmakers: Quincy Enunwa and Chris Herndon were big time losses to the offense.

-Oline injuries throughout the season: how many different combinations of starting Oline did we have last year?

-Mononucleosis: this is a legitimate illness and it has to have had some impact on him.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You're on the wrong site to keep posting dumb comments and then arguing the toss with the posters who reply.

Fuck off to an Allen fanboy site or a general Bills one and wank yourself stupid with people who are in agreement with you.

7. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

This is his third year. The offensive line is going to be better and hopefully the Jets will get him another weapon on offense. He should be showing signs of improvement this year or its legitimate to start asking questions. This doesn't mean he has to win every game or carry the team on his back - just show some signs that he is progressing.

8. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

People really need to stop shitting on Ken O'Brien.

He was easily one of the best QBs we ever had.

Almost every team in the NFL passed on Dan Marino.

Saying we should have drafted Dan Marino is like saying we should have drafted Tom Brady.

With that said, passing on Warren Sapp is a whole different story.

Everyone in the building was chanting "We want Sapp".

Hell, I was yelling it at the TV watching the draft at home.

Attackett, Brook!, Chappy13 and 4 others like this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He would be a better TE

Brook! and FJF like this.
  10. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Every single time my thoughts turn to these draft-day blunders I hear, as clear as day...

'The New York Jets first round selection... fullback...'

And the voice in crowd crying 'Oh noooooo!' with such existential despair I wonder if the poor guy actually died on the spot. He didn't even need to hear the name. All he needed to hear was 'fullback'.

A bad moment in Jets history, but an absolutely priceless glimpse into the tortured mind of a Jets fan.

11. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I love Josh Allen, was hoping the Jets would draft him (pre trade) and enjoy watching him play. But Josh Allen imho is what you happily settle for when Sam Darnold is no longer available.

I think Sam is, and was the best QB in that group and my faith in him hasn't wavered. And I actually think the results have been fairly impressive given the circumstances he's been working with both on an absolute and relative basis. I agree with the poster that said Sam is the least of the Jets problems. We just need to worry about these new OL guys not pulling a Kalil/Osemele on us.

SOJAZ, FJF, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

The lesson we will ultimately learn if Sam Darnold fails to win us a Superbowl is not that he was the wrong player selected but that there was no need to sacrifice a whopping three second round picks when there were other reasonable choices that would have been available with our own pick at # 6 overall.

It is a lot easier to settle for the best QB available at pick # 6 than to have the arrogance to believe that you know which of these guys is leaps and bounds over the others when Mayfield, Darnold, Allen, etc. all seemed to have a reasonable chance to be the guy.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Spot on. There needs to be improvement based on an improved supporting cast, more experience and continuity in one system.

I'm less concerned with record actually, more concerned with Sam decreasing turnovers and completing more passes.

14. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

I sure hope so!

I think Sam has the right ingredients and traits, he just needs to execute on them and show he can consistently do that. Let's hope we give him the right supporting cast.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This post went a completely different way than I thought it was after reading the first sentence. The lesson we’ll ultimate learn is that you need to consistently build your OL for the present and future. You’re out of your mind if you think Josh Allen “carries” a team to the postseason with the dogshit OL and weapons and lame coaching we had. He and a good OL and a good coach and decent pieces around him and the offense was still bottom third. If we had stayed at 6 and taken Allen we’d have threads on this forum today about trading up to secure Justin Herbert.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and Noam like this.
  16. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

This is BS. The team had the second worst offensive line in the NFL and it was only that way because they Dolphins traded away Tunsil and had a terrible OL outside of him.

It’s criminal what Mike Macagnan did to put Darnold in this mess. I will never forget when Darnold got drafted and then the following pick in third round we select...Nathan Shepard(not knocking his recent improvement though). He also passes on Morse and Paradis for some unknown reason even though is clear as day they needed a center. Focusing on defense for the better part of the decade has put this team in a real hole and has possibly ruined Sam’s career.

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we had stayed at 6, other teams could've leapfrogged over us for Allen and Darnold. We could've been stuck Rosen, who I liked at the time, but now looks like the least likely to pan out.

The lesson to learn, is to not neglect the OL like Maccagnan did.

18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

The clock should have already expired on Gase.
    I just hope we get another HC here before we also need another QB.

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The clock was ticking the day he was drafted.

The overwhelming majority of these guys don't get a second contract in the league.

The good news is Darnold's clock has a longer timer because he came into the league so young. So while it seems the Jets squandered 2 years of Darnold, he's still younger than Joe Burrow AND has NFL experience....

20. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

Jameis Winston has also had elite Wrs and good RBs and didn't have Adam Gase knobbing around him. He's 23 FFS. So comparing them is silly.
    He HAS to stay healthy, tho. I'd agree on that. And the Jets fanbase is one of the worst in the NFL, so no doubt there would be Tank for Trevor talk, etc.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.