Drop off of WR Talent from 1st round to 2nd round

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rohirrim665, Mar 30, 2020.

1. baalworship

baalworship Active Member

Jeudy is in his own tier. Imagine a bigger, stronger, faster Antonio Brown with no attitude issues. Or a DeAndre Hopkins that runs better routes.

Then Lamb..he is boring to talk about because he does everything well. Think Reggie Wayne.

Jefferson next as a guy that will just go get it done. He is > Ruggs.

After that the talent drops and you can take Ruggs, Hamler, Pittman, Shenault, Aiyuk as all similar in talent..just match the guy you want with your offense.

Higgins and Mims are after that.

If you get Jeudy the Jets will be must see TV with Darnold and Jeudy just killing people.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'm not fully disagreeing with you. but your link at the bottom ignores my whole point lol

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

How so? The link clearly shows the amount of salary allocated, by position, and that shows that there are positions that are paid more than other positions. Actually I think it's pretty revealing.

Of course you can't simply go by this to determine which players to go after, you have to consider your team's needs and prioritize them, as well as factoring in other aspects like the individual players's character, scheme fit, etc.. That's why of the 4 highest rated OT this year, there may only be 1 or 2 that JD wants, and if they're gone, might take a WR (or CB - aaaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!).

My main point was to challenge your assertion that except for QB "All players are of equal value".

NCJetsfan likes this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

because the pay scale doesn't always equal importance. Rbs are lower paid but without henry titans don't make the playoffs. and we seen how the rams failed in the SB without gurley. or how ATL went to shit without freeman/coleman. it depends on a lot of factors and sometimes the market can be higher from past importance. like mack got paid 20+ mil as an edge rusher but now edge rushers won't make as much. the market reset itself. sometimes it takes an elite player to be a FA at the right time to bump up the salary at his position as well. the NFL is a moving economy. you aren't necessarily paid on performance or talent. it's more on opportunity and market. even the draft class effects pay. it's supply and demand which is why some payers are underpaid and some overpaid. tru got paid a shit ton by us to be awful. meanwhile someone like adams on his rookie deal is way underpaid. the WR market went way up because of guys like calvin johnson and julio then hopkins all resetting the market. anytime there is a burst of elite talent at 1 position it goes up. right now there is just more talent at WR in the NFL then there is at safety for instance so the WR market went way up. doesn't mean it was more important it just means there was more elite talent needing to be paid.

5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Again, I think you're proving my point. In all these examples different players/positions were in demand based on team need and "supply and demand", but in any event certain players were valued more than others, thus driving up their salary. Even if that need/demand changed after that signing, it doesn't undo the value used when the team set that contract value. Again, it refutes your point about all players being about the same value (except QB).

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. GasedAndConfused

team need as in supply and demand yes, but also talent level. when you get a lot of elite players at 1 position the market jumps. if a position doesn't have many elite players at it, that position won't jump. doesn't mean it's less important. it's all about the quality of players at a position hitting the market as well as team needs. I'm not saying you are wrong per se, i'm just saying the pay scale in itself isn't about positional importance on the field for the most part. It's about the quality of players at a position as well as supply and demand.

7. mattyd99

mattyd99 Well-Known Member

With this kind of depth anyone got a problem with a draft of Jeudy/Lamb/Ruggs and say a Shenault in the 2nd if he's there? Even Aiyuk, Pittman, or Claypool? We could solidify WR for 5-6 years for Darnold and take on OT next year or in the later rounds.

Not saying this is my ideal route but with so much talent it may be tough to pass up.

blackssmagic and Mr mittens like this.
  8. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Not sure I want Fant and Edoga to be the starting OT's this year. There's a drop off after the top 4 OT prospects and the tier 2 guys will probably not be ready to start on day 1.

9. mattyd99

I'm down with that. Kinda my thinking as well, was just spitballing on a boring quarantine day.

10. CotcheryFan

Down with taking an OT in round 1? If so, I agree as long as it's not a reach.

11. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

I'm open to all options

Trading up to 8 to get the OL of our choice, we start the run and get what we want and not whats left.

Staying put and taking BPA on OL or WR

Trading down if OL gone and slide down 5-10 spots, pick up more picks, all for OL and WR.

Joe's had 10.months to prep for this draft with the sole purpose of looking after sam darnold.

Cant wait!

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

12. GasedAndConfused

anyone who doesn't want a LT with our 1st is crazy. there are so many day 1 starters wirth a top 10 pick we'll get great value and help lock up the line. it'll be rookie LT, fant at RT, mcgovern at C and Guards likely lewis and winters right now be was also signed another G for depth and we have edoga and harrison so decent depth. we can land good WRs in the mid rounds becuase it's really deep. plus WR has a huge bust rate in the 1st round compared to OT

13. mattyd99

If we have a choice of 2 of the top 4 I'd like to go that route. If you have the top 3 WR and only 1 OT left it's hard not to go WR.

14. CotcheryFan

Yeah, it all comes down to how Douglas and Co have graded the prospects. Can't wait for April 24.

15. CotcheryFan

If the top 4 OT's are taken before the Jets pick, I can't complain about getting one of the top WR prospects. Sam needs weapons almost as badly as he needs better protection.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If the top 3 are taken I'd rather go WR assuming they are all still on the board. Give me the best WR and 7th-8th best OL over the 4th best OL and the 12-14th best WR.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with that, but Douglas may not. If so, I'll defer to him until he proves untrustworthy.

18. joe

joe Well-Known Member

@baalworship: . I'd like you to meet @DefenseWinsChampionships . .

@DefenseWinsChampionships: this iss@baalworship

DefenseWinsChampionships and FJF like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

If that's the case then sure that or trade down but I don't think all 4 will be gone by the time we pick.

20. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Ruggs is the only elite freak athletic WR in the draft with the measurables to back that statement up.

Jeudy and Lamb tested similar to other top 10 wr’s in this draft (and not as good as past 1st round standouts)... I do love their tape...

Still my guess is Ruggs will be the 1st guy off the board come draft time and picked before the Jets select at 11.

The NFL is a copycat league and is becoming more and more a speed game w/shit rules that help promote this...

Murray (1st pick last year) would never have been the 1st pick 5 years ago.

Ive done some mocks and when I go OLine with pick #11, I almost always end up using 2 of the next 3 picks on WR. Just seems to make sense / maximize odds of landing a solid weapon (which is a desperate need).

Brook! likes this.