Jamal Adams... (Merged)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by fansince90, Aug 20, 2017.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'll make the same point I did to Br4d's comment: in reality he's not really under team control for 3 more years. If he doesn't get a new contract to his liking he's going to make waves, and demand to be traded. That never ends well for either side.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

i'll cross that bridge when I get there, Adams isn't going to slack on the field to hurt his value. If we become a good team, makes the negotiations easier.

3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

He has to be on the field though. I'm not sure why there's any reason to doubt that he will firmly hold out if he doesn't get a contract that he wants after this off season. Players who aren't vocal do it. Let alone a player as vocal as he is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  4. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

When you draft a player, surely you hope he'll be the best in his position. Adams is. So why do we trade a guy who IS the best, to take a shot at guys who almost certainly won't be (law of probability)?

Pay the man, build the D around him.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

"Build the D around him" is exactly why I wouldn't trade him. You CAN build a defense around the best safety in the league. That doesn't mean he's the focal point but the fact that he is a star in the box and behind the LOS plus can play in coverage means you can fill in the holes around him much easier. Tack on the fact you already have Maye plus a high end, fairly young slot corner and it leaves a whole portion of your defense taken care of (assuming you draft a CB). Imagine getting rid of Adams then trying to address the secondary AND the pass rush AND the OL AND receiver? Your secondary gets worse because of Adams and your line looks even worse.

I dunno. The cons far outweigh the pros IMO.

donkey likes this.
  6. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

It all comes back to what fair market value is--

Adams is 1-2 levels better than Minkah Fitzpatrick--he is way more well rounded as a player.

Fitz was traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, along with a 2020 fourth-round pick and a 2021 seventh-round pick, in exchange for a first- and fifth-round pick in 2020 and 2021 sixth-round pick.

Therefore, we should get a better offer than Minkah garnered. I would seriously consider it for a 1,2 and a 4 this year. We could replace Adams with one of the seconds and save $$, and add perhaps an edge rusher and more Oline depth.

Or a 1 and 2 this year and 2 next year. Any situation where we can get 3 or more quality starters. Plus we save on the cap, this will allow us to retain more of our own going forward and get those quality free agents.

I love Adams and wouldn't want to trade him without getting a premium--but depth matters and and at some point it is worth it. Just look at the Mack trade for the Raiders.

Also keep in mind that once you have a lot of draft capital, you can trade back and keep yourself stocked for upcoming years....this is how NE and Baltimore do it year after year. Idzik got us 12 picks but didn't know how to utilize them to double up.

7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

You can't just casually say "We can replace Adams with one of the seconds". That's a massive assumption and highly unlikely.

MoWilkBeast and UK jet like this.
  8. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but Jamal is the new Revis. Cares about himself way more than the team and that is off putting for fans like me. No doubt Revis had elite talent and I think Jamal does too, but I don't like Me people. In fact, you can be a Me person, but do it behind closed doors. Be a team person on and off the field. Jamal rarely ever represents the Jets. He represents himself. Now one can argue they are great at their positions because of that mindset, which is fine, but I don't have to like it.

My question is does Joe Douglas like it? I would guess no. Does he like his production on the field? No doubt. You don't want Jamal to become a distraction though so the Jets have 2 options: 1. Extend him now. It quiets everything. He is a Jet. He has respect. He has money. He is going nowhere. or 2. Trade him before the season. Get good value for him and move on. I'd still go with Option 1, but I would be much less upset with Option 2 than I was last year when those rumors first popped up.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Replacing him with another all pro safety is a tall order, but the picks we'd get back can be used to improve the OL, skill position players, and pass rush. That would soften the blow of losing Adams.

#1509 CotcheryFan, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  10. ColoradoContrails

That's true. In the past I've made the argument that draft picks are never a sure thing, and I still believe that. That said, premium draft picks are more certain than lower rounds. Still, there's no guarantee that you can fully replace Adams with even a high 1st round pick. But...you can replace a lot of what he provides, and actually build a defense that doesn't depend on him doing the exceptional things he does. For example, if the Jets had a truly great pass rusher, that removes a lot of the situations that Adams is now called upon to deal with at the expense of doing the more traditional things a Safety does. Instead of helping the pass rush and front 7, he can be used to help the secondary which is where he's needed. To fill that kind of role you don't need a superstar, you just need someone above average and those can be found in the draft more easily than an Adams.

When you combine the above rationale with the strong possibility that Adams will agitate for a huge payday and make noise about it if he doesn't get one, I think if the Jets were offered a package similar to the one in the article I posted, the Jets should jump on it.

BroadwayAaron likes this.
  11. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

A strong safety is a much easier position to augment (probably a better word) for than a shutdown corner, QB, Left Tackle or premier edge rusher. Adams isn't one of those. If you trade a blue chip player--you trade an Adams over a Trent Williams, Khalil Mack or Jalen Ramsey.

Look into Jeremy Chinn, he would be the type of replacement I'm talking about.

12. 101GangGreen101

He's not that type of player to hold out IMO. He has a good relationship with JD right now (if you saw his Instagram live notes).

Jet fans per usual just trying to find ways where we can trade players.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Well, we need something to discuss as this pandemic continues to infect people and sadly claim thousands of lives. And I don't feel it's not worth talking about even under normal circumstances given that there are reasons to keep him and reasons to move him.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I think every player is open to holding out. Bell turned down $14 million to hold out. Melvin Gordon gave up a month of game checks. I'm not sure why you think Jamal Adams wouldn't. The writing is not always on the public wall a year or two before it actually happens.

15. ColoradoContrails

FIFY.

16. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Problem i have, is that we are not a good team and have one superstar.

Trading him for lottery tickets does nothing for me, especially when we have such a high rate of not hitting on high picks over multiple regimes.

We've had 1 top end pick in the first round, maybe two if darnold works out.

Bad teams let their top players leave.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

17. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Thats my thinking.

We drafted him 6th overall and hes outplayed his draft slot. So why would we trade him for a 17th and the 51st? Would I have traded the 6th for those two picks before the draft? No. And that was before turning it into the best S in the league

donkey likes this.
  18. 101GangGreen101

Not really, trading the best safety in the league doesn't correlate to making the team better, it only gives you more lottery tickets that you can easily screw up (See Revis Trade)

MoWilkBeast likes this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

I think the bold is a fair question. But you're leaving out an important part of the deal: keeping the #11 pick. So really the deal is trading the #6 pick for the #11, 17, and 51 picks.

I think you also have to factor in the possible player/position you could take at #6. If a FQB was there for me to take, I might well not agree to the trade. For, example, I would not trade Darnold right now for that package. But for a Safety, even an All Pro Safety, yes I would.

20. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

Dee fucking milliner

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

MoWilkBeast and 101GangGreen101 like this.