Joe Douglas Helping Local Businesses and Employees

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 6, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/see-it...been-doing-this-good-deed-for-weeks/313222948

SEE IT: Jets GM Joe Douglas has been doing this good deed for weeks
    Douglas has been tipping his local restaurant each Sunday a very generous amount
    By Scott Thompson | 6:21PM

It's been hard for small businesses around the country, as trying to prevent the spread of coronavirus has led to many closing until things return to normal. However, there are some restaurants that remain open as essential businesses.

Well, Jets GM Joe Douglas is doing his part to keep their spirits up.

Thanks to former Jets WR Rob Carpenter, an NFL Reddit post revealed that Douglas has been dishing out very generous tips while picking up food at a restaurant near his town. Check it out...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Joe Douglas doing good things for the cause <a href="https://t.co/Na8b3fVV4z">pic.twitter.com/Na8b3fVV4z</a></p>&mdash; Carp (@robcarpenter81) <a href="">April 6, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

"My boyfriend is a bartender in NJ and has been doing take out during covid," wrote the Reddit user. "Joe Douglas has come into his bar the past 3 sunday's and tipped my boyfriend $100 on his TAKE OUT food every time.

"I'm already a Jets fan but this makes me love them that much more."

Douglas understands that supporting small businesses in these trying times means a lot in the first place, but showing his gratitude with those tips is a noble act.

2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

JD is for real. A class act, one who grew thru the ranks, from the bottom up. He knows his shit and he cares.

papapump likes this.
  3. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

I know this place, I work nearby and have played a couple gigs here as they have live music sometimes. Seems pretty pedestrian for Joe D as far as food goes but its a cool place and Joe D seems pretty down to earth. Cool story. He seems humble and down to earth unlike our head coach.

papapump likes this.
  4. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He’s a nice man for sure....

papapump likes this.
  5. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

So a guy you know absolutely NOTHING about, other than his moves as Jets GM, seems humble and down to earth, but yet another guy, who again you know absolutely NOTHING about outside of him coaching the Jets, is not down to earth and humble.

How do you know how Adam Gase is around his 3 children, his wife, his friends, his family, etc. You can dislike him as a coach but now you are claiming he's not down to earth or humble because there hasn't been a story leaked about him tipping?

LAJet and K'OB like this.
  6. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Woody the Cheapskate gave Wayne Chrebet a plaque instead of a paid vacation once. I thought it was very generous of him - meaning I didn't; but I agree on this one.

7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Your restaurant and bar owners and other food establishments should damn well pay a proper wage to their staff and then the waiters/waitresses and bartenders do not have to need 'generous' tips to live a normal life or just survive.

Disgraceful if you ask me, the punter is being asked to pay up twice in effect for a single product, can you imagine how you would feel about that in any other establishments you use to buy items in.

A nice bit of old school vinyl LP, $20 get to the till, oh, I'm sorry there is a pay my staff tax on that of double whatever you buy, so actually it is $40 please, oh and have a nice day y'all.

ps other tipping percentages do exist, I was just using JD's as an example.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

His PR team is working overtime right now...He dropped the ball with Robby Anderson so lets put out an article about what a great tipper he is.

9. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

how do you drop the ball on something you didn’t want? Not sure how being a good human being is him trying to hide that. What a reach

NCJetsfan and rohirrim665 like this.
  10. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Joe D seems like he does things the right way--culture matters and these types of things attract quality people into the organization. It's doesn't sound like he was trying to make this a publicity stunt.

NYGANGGREEN likes this.
  11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You limeys don't tip the barman?

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Woah!!!! Struck a nerve there buddy. For the record, I was a fan of the Gase hiring and one of the very few people who supported him, and am still hopeful he is the right guy to be the coach of this team. However, the more that comes out about this guy and the way he conducts himself and his relationship with former players, he doesn't seem like a standup guy, and he is certainly not humble from what all reports indicate. I am seriously worried that this guys ego gets in the way of him making in-game and week to week adjustments. You're right, I am basing my opinion off of total speculation. You don't know Bill Belichek personally, but I am sure you have some assumptions and opinions about him, do you not? Have you never uttered a word about the character of any other NFL coach or player before? Because if you have, you did it off of speculation. Joe Douglas could be a complete asshole for all I know, but nothing indicates that from what I have heard and read, aka speculation, which is all that we have to go on when it comes to anybody in the NFL, unless you knew them personally. Adam Gase however, has a litany of bad relationships with players. As far as I know, Joe Douglas doesn't have any stories about him like this:
    https://sports.yahoo.com/adam-gase-regrets-freezing-damien-204134394.html

Pretty sure I could go back in your post history and make you look like a total hypocrite here, but I don't have the time. The operative word I used in my post if you actually read it is "seems" as in "seems like a humble guy..." I never once stated I knew this for a fact. For the record I am rooting for Adam Gase, but it sounds like you are not only rooting for him but folding his socks and underwear too. If this was Twitter I would have guessed you were the Wyatt account.

13. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

This is an age old question. Having spent the last decade in this industry, if you pay front of the house restaurant staff in wage only, the quality of service will quickly decrease dramatically, while the prices of food will increase anyway. You’re looking at it the wrong way because in a restaurant you receive both a good, and multiple services. The good is the food, the service is the preparation, serving, and cleaning-up-after of said food.

If you went to the secondhand record store, bought a rare album at a certain price that had a defect, that’s purchasing a good. Now you want the owner to repair the record, which you knew was not included in the purchase. That’s an additional service.

The benefit of the tipping scenario is that you as a customer get to decide how much you feel the service was worth. If the record repair has a standard fee, you might get one that is as good as new, or you might get one that still skips a little.

Just remember that a restaurant is not a market. You are not buying the food only, thus the owner can not accurately estimate the cost of your presence in his/her establishment. If you sit at a table for 45 minutes with your partner, you cost less than if you sit there for 1.5 hours, but your bill could easily be the same, I can attest to that personally. If you ask a question about every item on the menu, you cost more than if you come in knowing what you want.

I could go on and on about the various costs that you cannot estimate when running a restaurant. The tipping tradition allows a patron to pay for his goods, and then attribute his personal value to the service that he received. If you don’t like it, there is a McDonald’s within 15 minutes of you in any city.

14. K'OB

Nope.

The standard used to be back in the day they got a drink bought for them for the end of the night, this was when people had a regular haunt.

The thing is they get paid a wage where tips are a bonus, not part of the wage.

We tip in restaurants but not at the rates you seem to think are required but you think they are required because you know they are due to the fact the owner does not pay them a real wage.

It is a horrible way of doing things imo

#14 K'OB, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  15. K'OB

Respectfully that is bollocks.

The owner is getting away with not paying his staff a decent wage and relying on his customers to pay his staff wages.

I seen a tweet, yeah I know a tweet.

The example given with pictorial evidence of her hours worked and her actual wage after taxes and it worked out at something ridiculous like $10 for a 70 week.

Now there was plenty of people like you replying to the tweet saying but yeah she will have made $**** in tips on top, that isn't the point, tips are and should be a bonus not part of the wage.

The owner buys the food, pays the electric, water rates and rent and whatever else they get charged for and a WAGE for his staff, they set a price to for tthe meals that make a profit on the transactions.

Looking at the prices of American menu's they are comparable price-wise with the UK, so why do you all think it is okay for the owner of the restaurant to make even more money by not paying a decent wage from the off, while his staff are literally forced into what is legal begging.

I also read that the waitresses also had to divvy the tips up with other people ie the bartender and kitchen staff as well.

Unbelievable.

The UK's minimum wage is shit but it is a wage that if you did a 70 hour shift you wouldn't be left with less than it would cost to bus to work everyday.

Also, if you think that by paying somebody a decent wage means they will start throwing your food at you and telling you to fuck off then it is a poor place that you live in.

On that example would you not pay a tradesmen the going rate but tip him at the end just in case they put your internal door on upside down, I would use a Venetian blind fitter as an example but if you go off Hollywood movies none of you fuckers have curtains or blinds in your windows or you certainly don't shut them :) that last bit was a joke btw ;)

16. K'OB

Anyways enough of that and back onto JD the GM not the drink :D

Brook! likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It may well be a horrible way of doing things. I recently read about restaurants in some city trying to change. They did away with gratuities, raised the salary of their workers to $15 an hour, and raised their prices. Within several months, they were all going broke, and they went back to the old system. I fear that is such an entrenched system here in the US, that it may never change. If restaurants did pay their workers a living wage, food prices would have to go up so much that no one except the wealthy would be able to afford to go out and eat very often. We Americans are so used to having reasonable food prices, that we refuse to pay higher prices. Prices have already skyrocketed precipitously over the last several years. As it is now, many restaurants give huge servings of food, too much food, (because food is the cheapest commodity) and then they can charge higher prices.

K'OB likes this.
  18. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

I have no idea what you are talking about with “seen a tweet”, honestly you have me confused because you seem to be referencing something of which I am unaware.

First of all, the pay rate for bartenders and wait staff is different in each state and even city so you need to take that into account.

It’s more than clear you have neither worked in, managed, or owned a restaurant. This is clear primarily from the fact that you are unaware that it can take years to truly break even running a restaurant in the United States, and that more restaurants fail to make money than those that are successful, so portraying restaurant owners as money grubbing is hilarious. Of course there are some, but I’m sure there are greedy people in whatever your line of work is. Please remember to mentally make a difference in chain restaurants like Ruby Tuesday or Olive Garden and the numerous family owned restaurants that are small businesses and often struggle to get by every year.

Your example of a tradesman is not applicable. When you enter a contract with a tradesman, you convey the job. He will assemble a cost analysis of time and material, and give you a quote. It is your option to accept the quote or seek elsewhere. Comparing a tradesman’s contract and eating in a restaurant makes zero sense.

What is the going rate for bartenders and waitresses in the UK or Ireland?

19. K'OB

Yes, I have seen a tweet, you have heard of twitter I take it?

So I seen a tweet on twitter that told a story of a waitress who showed her paycheque and what she earned from the restaurant owner 'before tips'

tbh I didn't really think it was that hard to follow?

You do know I am English?
    Again I thought that was common knowledge and I do say over here and as for never having done this or that don't be so fucking rude thank you.

Clearly in the UK the waitress or waiter or kitchen staff do not have to rely on tips to live, so your American model clearly isn't the only way to run an eating establishment and if you want that tagged as money-grubbing then so be it, cheap slave labour is probably close to the truth though right?

But it clearly says enough that you don't agree that employers should actually pay their employees a wage they can live off, my question has been answered in full.

As for the tradesmen thing, it was just comparing people getting paid for doing their job that is all, it didn't have to be a tradesman, how about a bus driver, do you pay your fare and then give him the same amount again in a tip? Actually don't answer I am scared the answer will be yes once again.

Time to move on.

#19 K'OB, Apr 7, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  20. K'OB

A shame that, do these people that won't pay the higher prices not tip at the going rate either then?

UK food isn't that expensive in normal places, I have no doubt you can go to 'posh' places and spend ridiculous amounts on very little food.

I am talking usually 17-25 for a main course and that is a good level, there are places that are cheaper and then there are places that are really cheap and you don't go there but all the staff will get at least minimum wage which is currently £8.72 for 25+yo's

But at least your reply was non-combative and that was good as I wasn't looking for a row about it lol

NCJetsfan likes this.