Draft Rumor (Quinnen Williams)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NCJetsfan, Apr 5, 2020.

?

If Atlanta is willing, would you trade Quinnen Williams for the Falcons' #16 pick?

1. Yes, where do I sign up?

59.1%
  2. No, Get Outta here!

37.9%
  3. Other

3.0%
  1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Hard to argue but since I'm a Jets fan and I also just witnessed the Houston trade of Hopkins I hold out hope that the Peter principle is still in play in the NFL.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

RIF, my friend. I clearly said that I wouldn't make the trade that the rumor suggested. The trade I posted about is one the host of Jets Talk 24/7 suggested that would trade Q. Williams straight up for the Falcons' #16 pick. We would keep #11 and have two first round picks.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  3. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I would buy the ticket for him and drive him to the airport after I post bail for him.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Simple miscommunication brother. I know you weren't proposing that trade. I was just replying to the rumor that was suggested in your OP.

CotcheryFan and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I still hate the pick and don't think Williams will ever come close to what Donald is as a player. Douglas may have no allegiance to him and may not be as high on him as Mac was. Our DC Greg Williams might prefer to have a top Edge Rushing prospect rather than Q. Willams.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

One doesn't have to have stars on the DL. IMO it's much more important to have a star at Edge, at LB, and at DB. I know that McLendon is near the end, and about H. Anderson. I don't think Williams is all that, and never have. I think he will wind up being about the same level player as Leon Williams, if that. I think that type of player is easily replaced with a DT taken in the 2nd round or lower, maybe even a UDFA. We have some other good young players on the DL, who while not stars, are good to very good rotational players. They would do just fine until we could draft a replacement for Q. Williams next year.

7. NCJetsfan

The problem is if he doesn't really progress, then his trade value drops like a rock. It's probably still pretty high. I don't trust any player that Mac drafted especially at DT.

8. NCJetsfan

Yes, that was my intent. I wouldn't do the trade that was rumored, only the one that the host of Jets Talk 24/7 mentioned.

9. NCJetsfan

OK, thanks.

I understand the reasons against trading him. I just think the opportunity for Douglas to put his stamp on the team, add more talent that HE picked to the team and having the ability to address (and address more significantly with higher picks) more of our positions of need, outweigh the reasons for keeping Q. Williams.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

If it’s Q straight up for #16 then yes I’d make that deal.....kind of a re-do a year later.

Not that Q is a bad player - he’s good. He’s just not #3 pick in the draft good.....thanks Mac.

11. NCJetsfan

Thanks to everyone who responded, pro or con. I love the passion of you guys and gals, and love to hear the reasoning behind making a decision like this. In discussions like this, I don't ever really care if you agree or disagree with me. I like seeing others' thought processes, seeing my opinions challenged, and thinking about it from both sides. In this time when we're all a little bored and starved for Jets news, I thought it would make for an interesting discussion, and it has been so far. Thanks!

#71 NCJetsfan, Apr 6, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
    jixxjr, JetsNation06, Brook! and 4 others like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I understand your thinking, but don't think there are any such absolutes. What if G. Williams, Gase and Douglas all think that Q. Williams was overdrafted and not worthy of the #3 pick last season? What if they don't think he will ever live up to the hype and be anywhere near as good as Aaron Donald? I'm not saying that they do think that way, but they could. If they did, imo it would make perfectly good sense to move him now for a pick if they could. They may rightly believe that if he doesn't have a very good season this year his trade value will plummet next year. K'Lavon Chaisson isn't the prospect that Josh Allen was, but trading Q. Williams for pick #16 would give the Jets the option of taking Chaisson. Alternatively, they could get their future LT at either #11 or #16 and get a top WR at the other pick. Do you really think it wouldn't be worth it for Douglas to be able to take which ever is your favorite of the 4 OTs at #11 and then take Justin Jefferson at #16 or take which ever of the top 3 WRs is your favorite at #11 and then take Josh Jones at #16?

13. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree with this. For starters, the Jets have Phillips, Shepherd and Fatukasi that they like. H. Anderson can still contribute for another 1-3 seasons. The Jets also seem to like Jordan Willis, John Franklin-Myers, and to a lesser extent Bronson Kaufusi. They could add another DT this year that could contribute, or wait until next year and draft a DT, or both.

Imagesrdecieving likes this.
  14. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

no one is more largely unproven than Q, He had MINIMAL impact last year....like really minimal

15. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I like these “what if scenarios”. They get us exposed ( by the most part ) to a number of well thought out viewpoints, all supported with valid Pros and cons arguments. If one disregards the occasional Random Input “fill in the blank” sucks anyway comment we can appreciate that there are many different approaches to make this team better, which is what we all want in the end.
    I’m encouraged that JD has shown us already that the offense is no longer a step child for the Jets, and he is attempting to plug some holes prior to the draft. He is also not afraid to trade under performers and take a chance on young players with good football fundamentals. Further, he works hand in glove with the CS. What a novel idea.
    IMO, this draft, overshadowed amidst far more pressing challenges to this Nation’s welfare, could quietly set the stage for a Jets draft turn around the likes of which we haven’t seen in the last 15 years. We can all use some good news. Might not be exactly who we wanted, but hopefully who we really needed.

twown, Brook!, NCJetsfan and 2 others like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Spot on. The important thing is that we have true hope for things to get better, perhaps even a lot better for the Jets and for us by extension. Some here haven't felt that kind of optimism since Rex was hired. Some still don't have it and don't think we'll ever compete until we get new owners. Hopefully, the latter aren't right.

I had hopes when Mac was hired, but those turned out to be false hopes. IMO we have real, honest-to-God reason for hope now with Douglas. He is very highly respected, worked for Ozzie Newsome for 15 years and seemingly learned a lot from Ozzie. He has handled FA very well so far, and I am hopeful and excited to see what happens with the draft and with the team this year.

ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  17. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Then watch Quinnen Williams dominate for the next decade in Atlanta? It's hard to know. I personally like that, as it helps protect Sam and gives him a weapon, but it could hurt the defense. If a team is still willing to trade a 1st Round pick for Q, then it shows how much potential he has. You are right though, he could be bad in Year 2 and his value will be gone. I just feel he will be much better in Year 2, but I obviously can't see the future. I said this before the off-season: I am cool with whatever Joe Douglas does. It is his team now. He can build it how he wants, including trading Quinnen Williams.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

Yes, if they trade Q. Williams they would be taking a risk. If in trading him, Douglas built the team into a strong contender and our D remained very good, would anyone really care or wonder "what if" with Q. Williams? As long as we're a playoff team and Douglas gets a very good or great player with the pick that he gets for Q. Williams, I know I won't care. It's entirely possible that that OL or WR could wind up helping the team a whole lot more than Q. Williams could ever dream of because they could help Sam reach his full potential, even if Q. Williams does become a dominant DT.

The bottom line is as Jets fans we've been the ones who have been taken in trades and now we hope to take other teams in trades, but the reality is that more than likely in any trade, we're going to have to give up value to get value. It just depends upon priorities for the Jets and the other team. Most trades should wind up win-win for both teams. That will lead to a better NFL

The Dark Knight likes this.
  19. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Agreed. Well said. Yep, you are taking a risk either way. Obviously his 2019 production could be replaced, but the hope would be his 2020 production would be much greater. Atlanta trading for him or the Jets not trading him would be banking on that.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Yes, but the expectation is that he will be very good if not great at some point.

Once he's gone the best Jets DL is Steve McLendon and he's close to retirement.

NCJetsfan likes this.