Jets sign Breshad Perriman

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Mar 24, 2020.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Robby is getting $12 mil guaranteed in year one. Perriman is getting $6 mil guaranteed that can be as much as $8 mil.

2. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

How much of robbys $12 is signing bonus? His year one cap hit could be as low as Perrimans.
    Do you not think Perriman last the season?
    Its 10 vs 8. If Perriman only gets $6, it's an even worse signing.
    Dont discount Robbys deal is 2 years vs 1

3. BroadwayAaron

Robby’s cap hit this year is $8 million and year 2 is $12 million with $4 million of dead money if they cut him. Look at the way Douglas has been structuring contracts according to reports, a lot of the guaranteed money is upfront leaving small dead money and cap hits later in the contract. That’s how he wanted Robby’s deal done which I’m totally fine with, and Robby didn’t want that. And if we signed him to that exact same deal then we would be in the same position next year. Either we have to extend him and probably pay him an equal amount of money as if we keep him, but most likely more considering the salary cap is going up... or we have to eat $4 million letting him walk.

really what it comes down to to me is that Robby is a one dimensional deep threat with our field issues. I would have been fine if we brought him back and I’m also perfectly fine that we didn’t.

4. TonyFtLaud

My point was and still is ,Robby was not getting double what perriman is.
    2 years 10 mill per is a fair deal for Robby.
    If Perriman is on the roster for the full season he gets $8 million. You can't call it 6 unless you believe he will be ct during the season.
    Perriman is a poor man's Anderson. Same one dimension, same route running,but 1/2 the production and twice the drops against #2 corners vs the #1 corners robby faced.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

anderson is getting $12 this year. Perriman $6 with the portential for $8

6. BroadwayAaron

Calling him a “poor man’s Anderson“ isn’t that much of a criticism as you might think. If we build this offense correctly, we only need the guy in the Anderson role to be a deep threat that takes the top off the defense and opens up the middle and keeps the safeties honest. If we draft Lamb or Jeudy which to me seems like the biggest no brainer out there, the. we will have weapons at every level of the offense. Now if we don’t draft a solid receiver that has WR1 potential and that’s a different story but I have a feeling we will.

Why would you pay your deep threat double the amount of money? And if you don’t like the “double“ point then why would you pay your deep threat $10 million a year?

blackssmagic likes this.
  7. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

There is no such thing as a poor man's Robby Anderson, lol.

8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

I disagree. RA is a decent wr2. We got a cheaper version. Thing is cheaper versions come with problems. He has been known to drop a lot of passes. Hopefully we can fix that.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. Chappy13

Chappy13 Active Member

I hope so too. I was just implying that some posters over-rated Anderson. I thought he was decent, but nothing other team's DC
    would be losing sleep over.

J-Raw24 likes this.
  10. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Perriman gets $6mm that could become $8mm with incentives as I understand. Anderson gets $12mm in his first year its reported, which likely means he has $6mm signing bonus plus $6mm salary. Then likely $8mm salary year two. Averages to $10mm.

Saying $12mm isn’t exactly right, although if Anderson doesn’t play well and gets cut, he could walk away with $12mm for 1 year. Or he might even have a player option. Can’t say for sure until the contract comes out.

Edit: The contract is out. Basically what I said but even less commitment than I imagined. $8mm signing bonus, $4mm year 1 salary. For some reason only $2mm of his year 1 salary is guaranteed. Maybe they are concerned he’ll get in trouble?

Usually year 1 salary of a multi year deal is guaranteed.

Anyway, if Robby does get cut after 1 year, he still gets paid the $12mm for 1 year.

There is a very real chance Robby does get released after 1 year, as it will end up saving the Panthers $8mm against the cap in 2021.

#250 MaximusD163, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  11. TonyFtLaud

ANDERSON counts 8 million vs the cap YEAR 1. $4 Slary AND 4 Signing bonus 8 mill salary year 2 with 4 mill signing bonus. I heard Perrimans 2 mill were roster bonuses. So his 8 mill would be paid unless cut this year. Salaries are going to go up significantly next year with the new CBS and new TV deals. If Perriman plays well he will get more than 10 mill. It's an 8 mill APY vs 10 mill APY at the end of the day.

12. TonyFtLaud

Then we should have saved the $8 million and used Vyncint Smith as the Decoy as your suggesting

13. TonyFtLaud

Your still going with your fictitious double bs.
    That's no different than posters who were saying Fant at 10 mill was better than conklin at $42 million. How it saves $32 million . Reality its 1 year at 10 vs 5 years at 42. If Perriman makes it through the season he gets 8 mill this year. If Robby makes it two years its 20. Again contracts are going to rise significantly next year. Likely leaving no savings.
    Until Lamb or Judey are drafted, they can't be counted as part of our WR corps. No way to know how the draft goes. Thay could all be there, or could all be gone.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it amazes me how many people here shit on robby for no reason over the years but want to hype up a low budget version of him

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Agreed. Both are situational players. Neither one of them solves our WR issues.

16. GasedAndConfused

robby should have been kept. we saved a couple million but took a big drop off in talent plus he already had chemistry with sam.
    I think it's more of gase's offense. he doesn't care much about the deep ball. he wants slot guys and YAC guys and then someone just good enough to chuck one deep to here and there without spending much on that player.

17. BroadwayAaron

How many deep threats get paid? Tyrell Williams is the closest I can think of to getting Robby-type money and he's way better of an all around WR than Robby IMO. The days of Mike Wallace are gone.

18. GasedAndConfused

tyrek hill? i mean obviously way better then robby but he's one of the best deep threats in the NFL.
    ODB is getting paid like 18 mil a year on potential and talent but not production
    cooper got 20 mil a year to suck at road games and never be clutch
    guys like d-jax and ginn have made careers on it and robby is better then ginn but not as good as d-jax in his prime
    either way it doesn't matter. the end game is surrounded sam with protection and weapons. JD did great on the protection part but not on the weapons. but with the cap and it being his 1st offseason and the draft still coming i'll be patient. can't judge a GM until at least 4 years or so

19. BroadwayAaron

You just rattled off guys who are lightyears better than Robby. Is Robby really better than Ginn? And if Ginn is the barometer, he never made over $4.8 mil a year in his career.

blackssmagic and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Our QBs couldn't get him the ball nearly enough down the field. The game in Philly was pathetic. Sam also had his fair share.