Joe Douglas Conference Call Notes

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Apr 1, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I understand all too well. LOL

K'OB likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

Excellent points. For me, the big question is will Gase know how to use him and will he actually use him in that manner, or will he try to force Ruggs into what he (Gase) wants to do in his offense, and wind up negating Ruggs' abilities? We know that Jeudy and Lamb will fit in with Gase's offense. We don't know that with Ruggs.

Yes, Ruggs has a 42" vertical leap, but don't forget that he is only 5'11" and has very extremely short arms (30 1/2"). He is still going to be limited in contested catches. The vertical leap will definitely help, but I think his short arms and small catch radius will negate much of that vertical leap even if he does have big hands (10 1/8"). The big hands will help, but his hands have to be able to reach the ball, and with his short arms, I think there could be a lot of throws that wind up being incomplete with him.

His speed is exciting and tempting, but I'd still rather go with Lamb or Jeudy or even Jefferson after a trade down, than Ruggs.

3. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

I agree I like Juedy then Jefferson and Clay if later on in draft in case we go OT

4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Great post!!! Having a player with that much speed keeps a defense honest and has them thinking for a split second longer. That split second is all a player like Ruggs needs to make the defense pay (or even Perriman for that matter since he is a 4.2 guy as well). Speed is the the name in the NFL. Make the defense think and cause them to hesitate for a split second and speed wins.

Mogriffjr, CotcheryFan and joe like this.
  5. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Good post - someone gets it. ("but he's just a . . thin . . speed merchant . . who can't beat press . . with a small catch radius"). . Actually beyond the plagiarizing parroting and Youtube snippets (i.e. actually watching 'Bama games, e.g. his blocks for Jeudy) the guy's more well-rounded than the parrots would leave you to believe, e.g. Ruggs dropped one measly pass last year. . Me, I'd draft Jeudy first but I'd sure as hell consider a top #15 pick and defensive coordinator's nightmare with not just elite speed but legendary speed over a possession receiver (e.g. Jefferson) who has a good chance of not being drafted until the 2nd round. . Whiff on a press vs. Ruggs?....good luck recovering. . You want to play straight up in the face of someone straight line faster than you? ...fine...

[​IMG]

Mogriffjr likes this.
  6. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/henry-ruggs-iii/9PMNe2V0Ag

here’s a great article on Ruggs strengths and weaknesses...speed usually rises in the draft, I wouldn’t be shocked if he was the first WR taken off the board honestly.

joe, boozer32 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From the article you posted:
    " it’s his ability to rack up yards after the catch that made him a difference maker"

And:
    "A much better route runner than given credit for, he has the ability to stop on a dime in order to change directions without any extra needed steps. Ruggs III can win in the short-to-intermediate areas of the field as well."

These points make him seem like a great fit for Gase's offense. Of course, "Gase's offense" is an oxymoron, but I could see Douglas giving him a playmaker that fits his "system".

I still prefer an OT or Jeudy at 11, but if they're gone, then Ruggs could be a good pick.

joe and boozer32 like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Then why did he sign them? There is no way he could fix the Jets addressing only the offensive line. All that would do is make him the polar opposite of Maccagnan. Still not helping.

Yankjetfan likes this.
  9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I like Ruggs he's fearless and will go across the middle. Nobody is catching him either if he even he's leaving.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Have to start somewhere and start establishing some sort of depth, I think JD accomplished that, but the line is still not in good shape. I am however hoping McGovern provides some stability at center. Fant, he will compete for one of the spots but I don't think it will be given to him and I think people need to temper their expectations.

If can get another starting quality tackle, preferably better then Fant with a little more depth, I will feel better about this team's chances at competing.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

Not true at all. Douglas is helping. He signed them because they were upgrades and almost our entire OL (starters and depth needed replacing/upgrading) and because it was the best he could do with so many holes and so little cap space. There is no way Douglas could address all of our needs in one offseason and with limited cap space. Everyone knows that evidently but you. He's focusing on fixing the OL so Sam can stay upright and healthy and so our offense has a chance. At present, our Interior OL should be pretty good, with pretty good depth. OT is another story. We have Fant and Edoga, that's it. No depth. Fant has a lot of potential, but he's not a lock to be our starter at LT, nor is Edoga at RT. I believe that he will add two OL (a LT prospect and either a RT prospect or another IOL) in the draft and at least one, if not two WRs to upgrade the weapons around Sam. He'll probably add a CB and/or edge as well, to help shore up the D, plus some additional depth or STers.

He will be the polar opposite of Maccagan. Maccagnan had no idea what he was doing in the draft or how to build a team as evidenced by all the DT picks and ignoring the OL.

12. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I'm with you on this one. Ruggs was the #2 at Alabama for a reason, yet we're expecting him to suddenly become a #1 in the NFL? I'm not seeing it.
    The more I look at the film, the more apparent it becomes that Jeudy should be the first receiver off the board. Lamb is good, but not as good as Jeudy.
    There's Jeudy and there's everyone else. Everything else is media hype... smoke and mirrors.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  13. Mogriffjr

bama’s WR corps was absolutely ridiculous.

Jeudy was their #1 but it was actually Devonta Smith who was their #2. He decided to stay in school, I mean he could have come out but he’s in a super loaded WR class, and there were questions of how fast he is considering he’s not a blazer. He’s a good and smooth route runner. He’s also like only a 170 lbs and there’s questions about his weight. A guess is he’s gonna try to play at 185 next season and hope to not lose his smooth and savvy route running.

Ruggs was the 3rd option and then Jaylen Waddle was the 4th. Waddle is another kid who can just fly, maybe not as fast as Ruggs but he’s super quick and twitchy. Man that group could probably be a teams 1-4 options NOW lol.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right. I wasn't even thinking about Smith when I was writing last night. Still, makes the point even stronger that Ruggs isn't a #1 at the NFL level, at least not at this time. The Jets need a true number 1 wr, not a secret weapon.

15. Mogriffjr

yes, Ruggs hasn’t proven it yet. Gimme the route wizard with speed to boot, and watch him shine here. Besides the Jets have Smith who has a ton of speed and now Perriman.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Excellent points regarding Ruggs! As I mentioned in another response, his 42" vertical leap is not going to be as big an asset as some here think. I believe that when most of us think of a 40+ inch vertical leap, we're thinking of a 6'4" (or taller) basketball player, not a 5'11" football player with only 30" arms. Yes, it will help negate some of his height deficiences, but not all that much. A 6' or 6'1" CB with 32" or 33" arms doesn't have to jump as high as Ruggs. He can still break up the pass, get in the way, etc.

Jeudy is a little faster than Lamb, and a better route runner than Lamb. I disagree that that makes him better than Lamb. Maybe better than Lamb at this point, but I believe that Lamb has a higher ceiling. Lamb is already a pretty good route runner, and he has plus athleticism, quickness, agility, lateral movement to become an excellent route runner. He's better after the catch and in contested catch situations. Barring injury, I think that Lamb will be the superior pro. Saying that Lamb is "media hype" is patently absurd and totally not true.

17. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

jeudy is not faster than Lamb.

The speed guy is Ruggs. The ball skills is Lamb. And the route running is Jeudy. It just depends on what you value the most

I’d like all 3 but I will say I value ball skills and speed in a prospect more because you can’t teach that. So I guess that makes me a Lamb or Ruggs guy

#77 BrowningNagle, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  18. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Out of the top receivers no one had more success against man / zone coverages then Jeudy. Lamb probably has the best hands / ball skills out of the group. Ruggs struggles against press coverages, but if you can put him in a role like Hill, he will succeed. Jeudy is the best technician out of the group and is suffering from tape fatigue just like Andrew Thomas

Imagesrdecieving and Red Menace like this.
  19. NCJetsfan

You might want to do some research.

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jerry-jeudy?id=32194a45-5541-5291-9f8b-8595dc100c90

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/ceedee-lamb?id=32194c41-4d13-8457-fcbe-d37fdbd87233

Jerry Jeudy ran a 4.45 40 at the Combine. Lamb ran a 4.5 40 at the Combine. Unless you live in some kind of bizarro world, 4.45 is faster than 4.5. It's only marginally faster, but I'm giving credit where credit is due. Similarly, Jeudy is a better route runner right now, but Lamb is already a pretty good route runner, and he has the athleticism, lateral agility, quickness to become a very good, if not great route runner. Where Lamb beats Jeudy is in contested catches and YAC. I think Lamb is the superior prospect, but I don't have to hedge the facts to try to prove my point. I look at facts and use those to help guide my choices.

I will be very happy with Lamb or Jeudy, much less so with Ruggs. I'm not convinced that he can be a #1 WR, nor am I convinced that Gase would use him correctly (like Reid in KC). I'd rather have Justin Jefferson than Ruggs. I believe that Lamb, Jeudy and Jefferson will all be #1 WRs. I'm extremely skeptical that Ruggs can be.

K'OB likes this.
  20. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I'm still leaning towards Jeudy, then Lamb. If both are gone at 11, I'm going to assume that at least two OTs are still there, and figure JD will take the one he likes the best, and then look for a WR with the 2nd pick.