The Price of a Sack

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Apr 3, 2020.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

They're both great athletic specimens. One excels in stopping the run. The other excels in rushing the passer. I'd love Ngakoue if he were a FA too. Maybe (hopefully) next year he will be and we can sign him. I'm not paying Clowney what he wants to stop the run. We can do that without him.

2. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Fair enough...I don’t expect everyone to be on board but he’s simply a freak player that obviously isn’t perfect. Regardless, we don’t have an edge player on the same planet as him and he would help the defense immensely.

Call me crazy, but I’d bet on Gregg Williams getting the most out of him

3. King Koopa

Yeah I gotcha...I’m just gunna post this, it’s a short highlight video from his Seattle games last year. I understand it doesn’t show his bad plays but just please watch and tell me how we couldn’t use someone like him

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You do realize that our D was top 5 in stopping the run don't you? We don't have the cap space, and he doesn't fit the bill of what Douglas is looking for to change the team culture in terms of not taking plays off and playing to the whistle. I think Clowney is a selfish me-first player. That's not the type of player that Douglas wants.
    If he were a 10+ sacks per year player along with his run stopping ability, I'd pay him. He isn't.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

We were great against the run. We need pass rusher. He is not a good pass rusher. Not worth what he wants which it top pass rusher money. No way should we sign him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. King Koopa

For whatever his faults are I’m betting on a motivated Clowney with Gregg Williams on a one year deal....he would be our best edge and pass rusher by a ton and also add big play ability

I just don’t see much of a downside with adding him on a one year deal. Worst thing that happens is we get a solid player but use a good chunk of salary for this season...no draft picks lost

7. King Koopa

He is a good pass rusher though...just not elite

Who are we getting better than Clowney for one season?

8. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

just bustin balls...I agree

Brook! likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If he agreed to a one year, $14 million "prove it" deal, maybe. I'd still have reservations, and I believe he's not Douglas's kind of player, but at that price he'd be worth taking a chance on. But he's not going to agree to drop his price that low.

10. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

Anyone with more than 3 sacks. Anyone who tries more than 3 games a year.

11. King Koopa

12. King Koopa

Fair enough...I’d go to like 17 but whatever he’s probably not coming here anyway

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

It's crazy how much cap space hell Jacksonville has been in.

This is a post I made a couple of years ago on here in regard to Jax.

"And most importantly we traded up from 6th overall to 3rd overall (aggressive) and stole us the NFL's highest rated QB Prospect coming out since dating back to Andrew 'suck for' Luck in Sam Darnold.

And now our Franchise is positioned and projected to rank 2nd in available salary cap space (2019) and 2nd in available salary cap space (2020).

Compared to Jacksonville who's now in salary cap hell due to being projected 31st (2019) and 32nd (2020) after already losing Allen Robinson to Free Agency, set to lose Dante Fowler Jr. as a 3rd overall pick to Free Agency (can not afford his $14.2 million dollar 5th year team option/cap hit) along with more to follow.

All while still owning our rights to all of our future 1st round draft picks; in order to truly build around Sam Darnold and our QB position".

I made that post following their AFC Championship Game run in regards to which Franchise was in better position come next couple of years moving forward while everyone thought I was crazy for predicting a Jacksonville collapse most other Jet fans were talking up their GM as if he were God (you could see their cap hell from years away) and now Yannick is next too. They are going to lose him.

I would not offer a 1st for him. That's what Jax wants. Nope. They are desperate. They can't stop losing their own talent and it started with Allen Robinson. I offer both 3rd's and if they say no forget it and let them lose him for absolutely nothing and let's go get Jadevron Clowney without giving up any picks.

14. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I just think it's crazy how over-hyped Clowney is.

Jordan Jenkins is basically on the same statistical trajectory as, Clowney.

No way I give Clowney that kind of money.

Also, I will forever be against giving up a first round pick for players half way through their careers already.

15. NYGANGGREEN

NYGANGGREEN Well-Known Member

lmfao was waiting on someone to say what I was thinking. That was good man hahaha

jonnyd likes this.
  16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Jenkins isn even half the player clowney is.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Lol interesting comparison, I said it before Clowney is a suped up version of Jenkins.

IIMeanDeanII and J-Raw24 like this.
  18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I respect your opinions, including the bulk of this one, but I'm a little puzzled at your conclusion. Signing Clowney would eat up a lot of cap space, and isn't that what you're preaching against? I'm not dead set against getting Clowney because he is definitely a big upgrade, even if he isn't the stud pass rusher we really need, because he wouldn't cost picks or other assets, but at $17 million+, I think that's too much to invest in a guy who has had a spotty performance record, wthether due to lack of hustle or injury. I'd be surprised if he drops his asking price low enough to get JD to sign him.

19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Now if I could only get past the Jason Taylor crotch shot all would be well with the world! Coronavirus! First things first! Do an old dame a favor and change that thing out! I have to block that filthy picture with my hand when I'm reading the posts! It's making my arthritis act up! And giving me eye strain! :mad::mad::mad:

Signed,
    -Mrs. championjets69

Brook! likes this.
  20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Lol jeto. I will ask nicely. :)

@MaximusD163 - Do this nice lady a favor maybe? :) I am just the messenger OK?