Jets have 2nd toughest schedule in 2020

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Martin&theJETS, Feb 7, 2020.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Douglas isn't finished adding players (and subtracting them), so it's impossible to predict with any accuracy how this team will do at this point That said, best case, I see 8-8, but that would require he hits on 3-4 immediate impact players in the draft, including at least one #1 WR, no major injuries, especially to Darnold, and Gase actually having learned from his (numerous) mistakes. OTOH, if any of those things don't happen, I could see a debacle, 3 or 4 wins.

If I had to bet right now, I'd lean towards the debacle.

FrontOfficeFanatic likes this.
  2. FrontOfficeFanatic

FrontOfficeFanatic Well-Known Member

Agree completely with your assessment with what needs to happen for the best case scenario!

My belief is if we are a 3 win team, 2 things would most likely be true:

1) Gase proves the fan base right in that he doesn't have what it takes to take this team higher
    2) Sam Darnold isn't a "franchise QB", franchise QB's carry their teams to more than 3 wins

Hence in 2021:

1) Chris Johnson directs our front office to find the right Head Coach
    2) We might have the No 1 pick and take Trevor Lawrence (similar to the Brees/Rivers deal or Rosen/Murray), you keep looking for a franchise QB until you KNOW you have one

Call me a pessimist, but I believe most of you guys would see this as the outcome if we finish with a bottom 3 record...

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Lets C Trump has been in office almost 4 years so Woody has been away from the team that long as well So Chris has been in charge our HC have been Toddy & Adam 2 top ten choices to be HCs Yesiree we have the 2 brightest owner in the league Yes Sam reume after 2 years is way behind Allens & more equal to Baker which means he will be another 1st round bust :mad:

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Not sure how you can say that. Sam had mono the first half of the season and the Jets went (1-7). Then they nearly flipped that record and finished (6-2) to end the season with a healthy Sam. You can say (5-2) if you want to throw out the Bills game, though I believe the Jets could have beaten a full Bills squad. That record also includes 2 losses to the winless Dolphins and Bengals at the time. (Which sounds like a negative, but is actually a positive when discussing the Jets winning 7 games) Sam will be healthy, Mosley will be healthy, Herndon will be healthy, the O-line will improve, it's the 2nd year of Gase's and Williams' systems, etc. I think the Jets are more of an average team headed into a tough schedule.

5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Sam missed 3 games, only one of which (Browns) could have been a win if he played. And look at the results in the second half. Dolphins, Giants, Redskins, Raiders, Steelers, and Bills were wins, Dolphins and Bengals were losses. So 5 of the 8 games were against teams picking in the top 5 (that virtually never happens), and we only won 3 of them. Then the other 3 wins were against a losing West Coast team coming here for a 1 pm game (almost impossible to lose that one), a team down to its 3rd string QB, and a team playing all backups. Even if next year's schedule is easier than expected, it doesn't matter because we'll never see an 8 game stretch that easy again.

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Yes, if Darnold doesn't stay healthy and play a full season - ok, maybe he misses one game - and shows that he can carry the team, it's time to start looking for a FQB again. I completely agree with the premise that you keep looking for one until you find one, and it has to be your #1 priority, not "Well, we'll take a chance on this guy Joe Blow in the 5th round", but you look to use your #1 pick to get one. That means when there are two or more FQB-potential guys that are right in front of you, and you don't have a decent starting QB, let alone a FQB, you don't pass over them and pick a freaking Safety! That means figuring out a way to trade up if necessary. Until you have a FQB, you're not going to the SB.

And of course, I fully agree that you need a HC who knows how to use his players to their max ability. Gase has not shown himself to be that HC.

7. The Dark Knight

Sam missed 3 games, but they were in the most inopportune time possible. Plus, who knows when he was actually 100%? Definitely took longer than just the missed games, despite the Cowboys win. No doubt the 2019 schedule was easier including that 8 game stretch, but I don't think that applies to the 2020 schedule. Maybe you are right, and the Jets will be (4-12), but I think they will compete most weeks and have a chance to make the playoffs as long as they stay healthy. I know it's early, but the only games you can say are likely losses are 49ers, Chiefs, and Seahawks. Maybe the Rams, but I think they are beatable.

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I don't think we'll go 4-12 because the OL will be better, the team should be healthier, and Sam probably won't get coronavirus. But if last year's team had this year's schedule, I think they'd have gone 4-12.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. The Dark Knight

That is definitely fair to say. And please no coronavirus for Sam! :D I just don't like the fans who seem to have already thrown in the towel because of the 2020 opponents. There are only 31 teams. And most are pretty even. I agree the traveling is an extra level of difficulty, but not enough to give up or use as an excuse.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I see 3-5, 4-4 or 5-3 at best from that schedule. NE, SF, and LV are probably sure losses. Buffalo and the rest could be losses as well, although I think we'll beat Cleveland and Arizona,and probably Denver. What's so easy about that?

11. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Jets wont be a playoff team for atleast 3-4 years at the slow rate Douglas wants to move to rebuild the team.We have been rebuilding now since John Idzik and have gotten no where..Douglas seems to want to build through the draft and with our poor drafting history this can take years if it even works at all.Tom Brady was furious at the Patriots front office for not providing him with weapons...now he is a 20 year veteran with multiple SB wins.What chance does Darnold really have with the current talent he has to throw the ball to?