A tad bit late, but...

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Zach, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

No. I am not a doctor. I just know a few in person.

That said - you are always welcome to ask any dumb and stupid question - the only stupid and dumb question is a question you don't ask. :)

Brook! likes this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Take out food? What can I do to avoid bringing virus home?

Don’t want delivery because the delivery guy engages with tons of people while delivering. I rather pick up myself. Right or wrong?

3. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

From what I understand, the main vector is the spray droplets, and infection from contact is very unlikely. [Which is why blasting lysol spray on the doorknob once every week is more than just plain stupid. But then - I just do it for fun.]

If you are worried about the food containing virus, (Know that it is highly unlikely. Heat kills virus first and foremost.) you can try reheating the food with copper or copper-alloy utensils. There is this thing called "oligodynamic effect" and copper actively kills harmful pathogens through that. (This has been known to humankind for thousands of years by the way. Even when we had no understanding of microbes, that is.) In absence of human intervention, coronavirus dies on a copper surface within 4 hours. [Which is usually why it is stupid to blast your doorknob with lysol. Usually they are made with brass.]

And pickup or delivery - whatever. You can ask the delivery dude to [leave the food at the doorstep] and stay away from human contact whatsoever. That is what you should try to minimize - human contact within 6 feet.

#23 Zach, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Brook! likes this.
  4. Faux machine

Faux machine Well-Known Member

We’re all gonna get it. The long and short is that’s the reality. I’m not gonna get into the minutia of it. Do your research. The answer is we’re all fucked. God bless and god speed everyone. I hope we all come out okay.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He is an optimist at heart after all.....

6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Again, great info

So if I run out for a few things I better wash my hands before and after removing badanna and then do a speed wash and dry with it or else take it off with gloves on

Fauci was just on Fox and Friends saying masks are great but social distancing is still the most important thing to do

When asked about the a##hole Chinese and their market for bats and wild animals (that started whole Pandemic) he said World Leaders have to pressure them to shut it down and cant understand why nothing is done!

Someone in Chinese American community should condemn it as well imo

BTW I have never had a problem with Asians or Asian Americans who are some of the smartest, industrious people in this country...but I can tell ya I am going to stay away from Chinese take out for quite a while lol

7. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Chinese shut down every wild meat market in the country in January. If they've opened them back up again I am all for banning all food imports from China until they permanently ban the trade.

This would not be because I believe that the animals in question lead to disease via import to the USA. it would be because I believe they lead to disease in China and that disease spreads all over the world. It would also be to punish a large state actor who through their reckless disregard for international norms have just unleashed a plague on the world.

China can be part of the 1st world or the 3rd world and if they must act like a 3rd world country then we must usher them back to the appropriate tier. It's a matter of survival.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

#28 Zach, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I figured it would be a good idea to introduce some research into this covid-19. This is among the most comprehensive studies that I've read thus far. And yes. This study also (like many other that I have encountered in the past) recommends the use of the mask by the general public. Take a deep look if interested.

The abstract is given as:

We identified seasonal human coronaviruses, influenza viruses and rhinoviruses in exhaled breath and coughs of children and adults with acute respiratory illness. Surgical face masks significantly reduced detection of influenza virus RNA in respiratory droplets and coronavirus RNA in aerosols, with a trend toward reduced detection of coronavirus RNA in respiratory droplets. Our results indicate that surgical face masks could prevent transmission of human coronaviruses and influenza viruses from symptomatic individuals.

What are they saying? They are saying that, if you wear mask, it will visibly lower your infection potential within your exhaling breath.

Why is this significant? That's because [we don't even know if we are infected or not.] We've been flying blind for good 2 months in Jan, Feb and early part of Mar, and now we are at a stage where we should start taking the "community infection spread" into serious considerations. This is where you just cannot track the infection route any more. As a few papers say, from as little as 25% all the way up to 50% of the infected people do not exhibit any visible symptom. There is no telling who is infected even among those who we think are healthy.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0843-2

#30 Zach, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    HomeoftheJets and Brook! like this.
  11. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Zach.

stupid question, what should you use if you don’t have a surgical mask? Around here the hospitals and first responders are complaining about a serious shortage and I don’t want to contribute to it.

would a polyester baclava for skiing work?

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m gonna be dead honest here. I’d feel more comfortable with Zach leading this country through this than that dumb fuck Jared Kushner.

HomeoftheJets, stinkyB and Brook! like this.
  13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Anything is better than nothing. We are now scrambling for masks thanks to the timely (NOT!) recommendation from you-know-who.

In one study, ad-hoc scarf mask blocks about 66% of the spray droplets coming in, while stopping about 10% of the droplets going out. (This is cough droplets, mind you. If the droplets are coming with less momentum, as in exhaling breath, the mask will be stopping much more than that.) So - there you have it. While not as effective as surgical masks, [anything] is better than nothing. [Or that's what numbers tell us.]

P.S. The term you are looking for is "balaklava."

Baklava is... a very tasty stuff. :)

#33 Zach, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    HomeoftheJets, Dierking and Brook! like this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Replace Zach with Fauci I am right there with you.

HomeoftheJets, Attackett and Zach like this.
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Actually Fauci has tried his best. So did Azar. If we have Trump, Pence and Kushner calling the shot for this mess - you know what will happen.

Dan Rather had this to say after reading the following article:

... What we’re seeing now was not only predictable, it was predicted.

==================================================

Know that it wasn't even like we didn't have concrete and solid action plan or playbook for eventuality of this magnitude. Trump just did not even give it single glimpse. (I will try to steer clear from the political side of it. This will be the last time I get involved in that one.)

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/25/trump-coronavirus-national-security-council-149285

HomeoftheJets, Ralebird and Brook! like this.
  16. stinkyB

sadly....this is awesome

17. stinkyB

I seriously doubt this is from some dude eating a bat..... Ozzy wouldve got us sick 35 years ago. Just like AIDS wasnt from some dude pluggin' a monkey

18. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Actually, the widely accepted theory of HIV is that it did cross over into humans by people eating chimpanzees which mutated it into a form deadly to humans after the chimps themselves were infected by monkeys, where HIV started. There is also a second, less deadly strain of HIV, that was transmitted to humans by eating the monkeys directly, but isn’t as deadly because it didn’t mutate in chimps. That’s how viruses are able to mutate across species and why people shouldn’t be eating every wild animal they come across.

had Ozzy eaten a bat infected by Covid he may have set off a pandemic, but unlikely he grabbed a random bat for his stunt.

#38 JetBlue, Apr 5, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    Br4d likes this.
  19. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Just gonna put this here, because why the fuck not?

Zach likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The markets are a vector between virus pools in the wild and the most concentrated masses of humanity in history. They're a leadpipe cinch to produce crises like the one we're in on a regular basis, once a decade or more.

You know why Ebola is a thing in the Congo?

Because people eat bush meat (exactly what it sounds like) as a staple. That they get Ebola outbreaks over it every decade or so doesn't stop them from the practice.

However Central Africa is not a world commercial hub and the disease rarely leaves the interior and when it does it even more rarely leaves the continent.

China is a series of interlinked commercial hubs that feed items and people into the mainstream economy on every continent and to almost every population group. They need to be more responsible about how they manage the potential interactions between viruses in the wild and human populations.

Zach and JetBlue like this.