Drop off of WR Talent from 1st round to 2nd round

Discussion in 'Draft' started by rohirrim665, Mar 30, 2020.

1. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

So the question I've been wondering is how drastic is the dropoff of talent of these WR's from Round 1 to Round 2? I understand this is the deepest draft for WR's but from what I am reading there is a somewhat significant drop-off after the big 3 in Juedy/Lamb/Ruggs. From what I am seeing there is good value to be had in the 2nd round but none of those guys are the complete package like the 3 aforementioned guys.

With that being said I would hate to pass up on one of those big 4 OT's assuming at least 1 or 2 of them will still be there at 11, but I also feel like where we are at with the WR situation, I want one of the elite guys, not a complimentary, "good" WR for this offense. Basically I want my cake and want to eat it too.

What I am asking is, is there any trade scenarios where maybe we can give up our 2nd and a 3rd to move up into the 1st round again and get both our OT and "dream" WR, assuming he's available. This would probably have to be something that happens ON draft day, not before obviously. Or maybe use Avery Williamson in the trade instead of a 3rd or something. I even got drunk on saturday night and dreamt up the scenario trading both our 3rd rounders for Beckham, who happens to be my least favorite player in the entire league as a person, but I want to win, and I don't want a WR who is not going to have an immediate impact THIS year. Not sure Cleveland would go for that but that is the most I'd be willing to give up for OBJ.

Or ... maybe I am wrong entirely and there are some receivers that will be available 2nd round that ARE comparable to those big 3 guys. I've been doing a lot of research and it seems like there is a significant drop off from Round 1 to Round 2 despite the abundance of WR talent. Curious for thoughts!

2. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Draft is a crapshoot but historically you don’t need to draft a WR in the first round for him to be a stud. In fact, of the 25 WR who had 1,000 yards last year, 17 were NOT first rounders.

3. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

For reference, the last time WR talent was this deep, Terrell Owens was selected in the 3rd and Joe Horn was selected in the 6th.

The Jets picked Keyshawn #1 overall, and wasted their 2nd (surprise!!!!!!!!!) on Alex Van Dyke.

chandler, boozer32, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  4. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Yes, the draft is a crapshoot and WR is one of the positions where top flight guys are more than often developed. For every Julio Jones, Mike Evans, AJ Green, DeAndre Hopkins, OBJ and Amari Cooper (Recent Star Level #1 picks) there are 2X as many busts.

Look at the wasted picks like Justin Blackmon, the Late Charles Rodgers, Braylon Edwards, Reggie Williams, David Terrell, Laquan Treadwell, Sammy Watkins and the list can go on and on...Over the past three drafts, the 13 first-round wideouts have produced one Pro Bowler...

I would bet the house that this draft wont be any different and you'll see the elite group be day 2 and 3 selections. I'd personally pass on Lamb and or Judey at 11 even if the top 4 OT's weren't available. Trading back would be scenario #1 and then BPA...

IDFjet likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I seriously doubt that Douglas uses draft capital to trade up. As I said before I think he'll go for an OT if his guy is there, but if not, then WR, again if the guy he wants is there, but if the guys he wants aren't there at 11, I could see him trading back a few spots to pick up more draft capital.

NCJetsfan and J-Raw24 like this.
  6. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I think Jeudy is on a whole different level but the next 2-6 guys aren't all that far apart.

Just my guess.

PJ4Ever, The Dark Knight and FJF like this.
  7. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I can't remember any of those guys you listed outside of Watkins being as good as Lamb or Jeudy. In any way. I understand that in this draft especially, you can probably find a starter in the second round but I'm just not passing on Lamb or Jeudy personally. I think those are the two best receivers to come out of college football in a long long time. And it's not just highlight reels and combine numbers that make me say that.

Mr mittens and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. J-Raw24

J-Raw24 Well-Known Member

First off that you consider just 3 in that top group means you haven't watched college much this year. Go watch LSU and try to tell me Justin Jefferson isn't as good or better than Ruggs. He sure put up a better season and had decent combine to boot. That's said I don think the drop off is that big. Lamb and Jeudy are for sure the top 2, but after that I don't think there is much drop from anyone to the next. There will be good wr through the first 3 rounds. People who could easily become wr1 type players. Some may even leak into the 4th.

#8 J-Raw24, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Well it’s pretty hard to say what makes a guy work at the next level.

In the 2014 Draft, considered to be the deepest WR class recently, there have been successes in the first and later rounds.
    1. Sammy Watkins
    1. Mike Evans
    1. Odell Beckham Jr
    1. Brandin Cooks
    1. Kelvin Benjamin
    2. Marqise Lee
    2. Jordan Matthews
    2. Paul Richardson
    2. Davante Adams
    2. Cody Latimer
    2. Allen Robinson
    2. Jarvis Landry
    3. Josh Huff
    3. Donte Moncrief
    3. John Brown
    4. Jalen Saunders
    4. Bruce Ellington
    4. Shaq Evans
    4. Martavis Bryant

Throughout the 5th-7th rounds of the draft no one stands out besides Quincy Enunwa in the 6th and Allen Hurns undrafted. I guess I could mention Willie Snead IV undrafted as well.

In a draft this deep, it’s not as if every player with a round 1 grade will go in round 1, thus the drop off in talent of round 1 vs round 2 is arbitrary. It depends largely on the team situations they go to and the injuries they might get and the character of the player.

This draft has lots of excellent WR’s.
    -Jerry Jeudy
    -Ceedee Lamb
    -Henry Ruggs III
    -Justin Jefferson
    -Denzel Mimms
    -Laviska Shenault
    -Brandon Aiyuk
    -Tee Higgins
    -KJ Hamler
    -Jalen Raegor
    -Chase Claypool
    -Michael Pittman Jr

All of these guys bring skills to the NFL, so where they go and how they fit just depends.

It is widely agreed that the top 3 represent a “choose your flavor” as elite talents. Much the same way that 2011 had AJ Green and Julio Jones as close to can’t miss prospects as you can get.

10. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

You're absolutely right , I work almost all day on Saturdays and rarely get to watch many college games. I am not trying to speak as an authority here at all, I have only gone off all the articles I have read while I am quarantined. I made this thread to open discussion especially from those who watch college ball extensively. From what I have heard Justin Jefferson is being compared to Alshon Jeffrey in many ways but I also read was that he is not a "true no.1" type of guy (I know that term is unpopular for good reason) and that he will get locked down by top corners in his rookie year because he isn't as physical as Jeffrey is. I can send you the article if you like, and I am not saying the article is correct, I am just saying what I've read since I don't get to watch much college ball these days. Here is the article, also says Justin Jefferson will be an ideal fit in Gase's scheme, although he will never be quite 'elite", take that for what it's worth. https://elitesportsny.com/2020/03/29/new-york-jets-perfect-prospect-wr-justin-jefferson/

Brook! likes this.
  11. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I apricate your opinion. Here are some stats on a few of the guys you didn't notice as being as good.
    -Justin Blackman makes Lamb and Jeudy look like boys. He was a Biletnikoff winner TWICE and was also a consensus All-American twice for Okie-State. Drafted #5 overall in 2012. He and Michael Crabtree defined Elite college recievers.
    -Reggie Williams- during his 3 years as a Huskie he averaged almost 1,200 years a season and was a unanimous All American and Biletnikoff finalist twice Drafted 9th overall in 04
    -Charles Rodgers (RIP) Drafted #2 in 02 he won BOTH the Biletnikoff and Warfield trophy as well as unanimous All-American. Guy was special in college and had the size/speed combination.

I point these stats and awards out not to tout the guys listed, but to say...its a crap shoot man. all three of the guys mentioned above were top 10 picks and cant miss in their own rights. If the Jets draft Lamb or Jeudy, I hope they don't continue the trend of "cant miss" guys who miss....

IDFjet and All Gas No Shake like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I know about the awards and stats and all that but I'm talking about watching the tape. The playmaking ability, the physical attributes, the route-running. Jeudy is on another level than all of those guys as a route runner and Lamb is one of the best playmaking WRs I've seen in college since I don't even know who (Hollywood probably, ironically enough but I think we knew he'd have problems in the NFL).

Also on what planet did Justin Blackmon make Lamb and Jeudy look like boys? Not even close IMO.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  13. J-Raw24

He played against most of the top corners and safeties last year. He practiced against Fulton. He put up big numbers against some of the best teams. He will be good. I'll almost wager he has a better career than Ruggs. And yes I think he will do great in Gase's scheme. But I also think Lamb will be great in it. And Jeudy won't be bad. Gase uses wr that can run great routes and have good timing or players that are big and get YAC.

rohirrim665 likes this.
  14. ColoradoContrails

Especially when you consider that some people considered Anderson a #1.

NCJetsfan, IIMeanDeanII and J-Raw24 like this.
  15. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I didn’t see Gandy Golden on your list, he’s going to be a monster at the next level. Many teams can move the ball between the 20 yard line, what teams fail to do is execute in the RZ. Gandy Golden is the type of receiver that will be pulling down jump balls in the end zone, he will be a difference maker.

Personally I believe Jets will go oline at 11 and WR in second round.

Mogriffjr likes this.
  16. MaximusD163

One thing that I believe to be true is you want to attack positions that are deep in a given draft, and avoid drafting positions considered to be weak in a draft.

If I remember correctly, 2015 was not widely considered to be ultra deep at WR, but teams were hot after so many productive rookies came out of 2014.

1. Amari Cooper
    1. Kevin White
    1. DeVante Parker
    1. Nelson Agholor
    1. Breshad Perriman
    1. Phillip Dorsett
    2. Devin Smith
    2. Dorial Green-Beckham
    2. Devin Funchess
    3. Tyler Lockette
    3. Jaelen Strong
    3. Chris Conley
    3. Sammie Coates
    3. Ty Montgomery

In 2014 you had 5 WR go in round 1, and 7 in round 2. In 2015 you had 6 go in round 1 and 3 in round 2. This tells me that in all likelihood 6 WR in a round followed by only 3 in round 2 means teams reached for needs.

I suspect this class will be more along the lines of 2014, where WR’s go early and often because they are BPA, or close enough that it makes sense.

#16 MaximusD163, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  17. J-Raw24

I think Gandy Golden has potential. So does Tyler Johnson for the same reasons. But he was just naming them off.. there are like 20+ that could go 1-3 round

Brook! and Red Menace like this.
  18. MaximusD163

He might be great, and there are others of note including Van Jefferson, Devin Duverney, and Donovan Peoples-Jones.

The Jets going O-Line I believe is actually less likely than WR, just my guess. Who knows how the draft falls but I just think the value will be elite WR, when the Jets pick at 11.

Mr mittens, NCJetsfan, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  19. ColoradoContrails

Why do you say this (bold)? Is it because you think none of the OL are worth the #11, or that WR is more of a need for the Jets?

Personally, I think that it's going to come down to WHO is available at 11. IOW, if one of the top 4 OL are there, but it's not the guy Douglas wants, he'll take the WR if the one he wants is still there. Or conversely, if he was leaning towards WR, but the guy he wants isn't there, if there's an OL he likes he'll take him. Failing those scenarios, he'll look to trade back.

Then again, he might just take a CB or Edge at 11, although I doubt it.

NCJetsfan and LAJet like this.
  20. J-Raw24

I agree with the wr prospects you name but not the draft picks. The value for OT will be where we sit in the 1st. The value for wr is the first 3 rounds. We should absolutely haveOT in mind at 11 unless the 2-3 we want are gone. Then go wr or (my choice) trade back. It's not that I don66 think Lamb or Jeudy will be monsters. But that I think if we get good value (equivalent to what pitt gave up for Bush) something like Jefferson, Wanogho, Pittman plus our other 2nd and 2 3rds will be better. We could easily take a chance at players to fill out our roster.